what is the oddest thing someone has done when you have visited their house?

(718 Posts)
2shoeskickedtheeasterbunny Fri 06-Apr-12 23:25:31

mine was my DB, he did warn me but tbh I was so...... shock
I was kind of 'oh ok"
he put old sheets on the floor to protect his carpet from...

dd's wheelchair wheels

guess where we won't be going again(this was after he insisted she was shoved in the corner of the table at a pub...just in case she got in the staff's way....WTF)

??? YOUR please

TheGrandPooBah Sun 08-Nov-15 23:50:31

No - that can't be the last one! More!!!!

powkin Thu 29-Oct-15 17:22:22

FIL was having a birthday party/anniversary celebration at his very nice country home. DH has never actually lived with his dad and things have always been awkward (FIL was a total dick to my MIL, didn't sign birth certificate, treated DH and his half brother totally differently etc etc).

One of FIL's favourte things to do is to invite people to his house and then expect the guests to bring EVERYTHING. Each person or group is instructed to bring something different: drinks, puddings, cheese etc. He seems to thing this is totally normal behaviour (student years notwithstanding) even though they are very comfortable own a beautiful country home. At a previous family gathering I was sent to Coventry by Step-MIL for forgetting to bring fruit for a fruit salad WHEN THEY HAVE AN BLOODY ORCHARD.

Anyhoo... There were a lot of people at the party, maybe 80+ and the marquee was set up with lots of tables. In the middle was the family table... we looked for our names... umm, no, DH and I would be sitting at a seperate table to his dad, wife and half brother... in fact we would be sitting with the gardener (who was very nice). When conversation started flowing it turned out that lifelong friends of FIL were rather surprised to hear that he had another son. Then came the speeches about what a wonderful dad FIL was to his darling wife and son (singular). By this point I was basically shaking with rage and trying not to cry.

As soon as we could we left to the Marquee to go sit in the kitchen. Some guests came in and they thanked us for a lovely evening... turns out they thought DH and I were the hired help!

Worst of all was the fact that we couldn't escape as they live in the absolute middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from home and we had no transport. Terrible evening!

Littleonesaid Tue 27-Oct-15 14:12:02

At a friends house in their swimming pool aged about 7. Her mother came out of the house to check on us dressed in a super smart suit, lots of jewellery, heels, make up, hair done up in big 80s perm. She asked if it was warm and when we said yes, she jumped in with all her clothes on and had a swim confused.
Her DD didn't seem to think it was unusual. They were quite eccentric though - they kept the Christmas tree and lights up all year round because it looked so pretty.

murphys Tue 27-Oct-15 13:51:59

When ds was younger he used to do hip hop dancing. A girl in his class at school was in the same dance group but hadn't made it to practise for a few weeks and they had a competition coming up.

Her mother phoned me and asked if ds could go round their house to show her dd the dance moves and catch her up. Ds didn't want to go as wasn't all that keen on the girl, but I said we should do the right thing etc etc...

So on the Saturday as per the arrangement I take ds to their house, they didn't offer that i go in and wait (it shouldn't have taken more than an hour) or get offered a cup of tea or anything, so i said I would pop to the shops while he was there and get him on way back. Mother says, no don't worry I will phone you when they done and you can come back and collect him (note that its was all me doing the running around, dropping, fetching for her dd's sake shock ) After an hour I phoned and they said they still busy so could he stay a bit longer. By the afternoon still no phonecall so got in the car and went to the house. Knocked for about 5 minutes, no answer. Eventually the older brother answered the door who was about in his twenties. I ask where his mother and sister are, he says, oh they got invited out to another friend so went there - And left my ds alone in their house with a stranger and never said a word to me......... My god I was bloody fuming. Ds seemed ok and quite happy that he and this chap sat playing computer games, but ds was about 10 at the time!

MIL came to visit us to stay for a few weeks. Before she unpacked she went around the house checking for dust on all the tops of the doors and door frames..... She then told dh that did he realize that our house was a disgrace. And i still let her stay.

I have toughened up A LOT since then........

I have laughed so at this thread!!

Phoenix69 Tue 20-Oct-15 05:26:07

Years ago I went round to an investment clients house to complete the paperwork on her maturing policy.
This little old lady answers the door, makes me a cup of tea and I give her the paperwork
Me - 'Just sign down the bottom'
Her -'I'll try but I have hurt my wrist'
Me -'oh no have you had a fall?'
Her -'no I've been up all night w**king my boyfriend off and I've sprained it'
I spat tea everywhere and then she proceeded to tell me in graphic detail what they had been up to. I was there hours!

My young DD started Junior school (gone up from the infants), and so had some people she knew in her class and some who had originally been in other classes. Her and her other friend became friendly with a girl (lets call her X), that she'd never met before.

For a couple of weeks she came home talking about how she wanted to play with X. I said that would be fine, and asked my DD to ask X for her telephone number so I could call her parents to arrange something, or to tell X's Mum or Dad to give me a call to arrange something at our house. (I don't get to the school at either end of the day so never see them). My MIL does so I asked if she'd mention it to X's parents too, which she did.

My DD then came home saying that X's parents said that she could go and play there. Apparently X had said that her Dad had told her to tell my DD that they live in a pub, and that he (dad) would be working downstairs behind the bar and the girls would be perfectly safe playing upstairs on their own.

I've never met or spoken to the parents so asked my DD to give our telephone number to X for her mum/dad to call me. She did, but nothing ever happened. My DD kept being told by X that her mum and dad agreed that she could go and play, and kept asking why she wouldn't.

I agreed with my MIL that if anything were to come of it that MIL would go with my DD to X's house, so that there would be someone there with them whilst they played. I just wasn't comfortable with my DD going off to play with someone whose parents I had never even spoken to, and whom seemed very reluctant to talk to me, knowing that the kids would be playing on their own unsupervised. Essentially in a house on their own, as the upstairs of pubs have every room a house has, and so all of the hazards. Especially not via communication with a 7 year old and no contact at all with the parents.

Still not sure if it was me BU, but obviously I don't think so.

Bookwormsarah Fri 16-Oct-15 23:39:20

I have thought of several as I've been reading (over about a week!) but I'll just share one with you now.

When I was about five I went to play with the son of someone my mother had been asked to befriend as they were new to the village. After a riotous hour in the garden we were asked if we would like a drink, and when we both said yes, were presented with banana milkshake. I have never liked milky drinks, and I just couldn't manage it. After another hour or so we were called in for lunch, and the boy's mother offered a choice of drinks. Tom got Ribena, but when I asked for the same, I was presented with the banana milkshake and told I had to drink it, even if I didn't like it. I remember sneaking upstairs for a drink of water out of the bathroom taps...

JustDanceAddict Tue 15-Sep-15 11:29:58

I can only think of one - maybe I don't know too many odd people! I was 21 and just back from travelling in the summer. My great uncle had passed away and my mum and I were at his daughter's house (so my mum's first cousin) to pay our respects. I went into the kitchen to help with making the tea ( I wasn't a tea drinker, and my mum did drink tea weak, which is my defence). Anyway. I took the tea out to the guests and the bereaved and my mum's cousin takes great offence at her weak cuppa and shouts 'call this a cup of tea!!!!' in a very aggresive manner. I'm quite a senstitive soul at the best of times, so having thought I was being helpful I was not amused at all and huffed off home (about a 30 mins walk at the time if I recall). I was also feel doubly senstive as a friend of mine had also died in a horrible car accident so may had not run away in tears otherwise!! A few years later my mum sadly passed away and this cousin came to my house during the mourning period. As is customary, my husband made her a very strong cup of tea (obviously I had told him about the tea incident as we met not long afterwards) and she remarked that it was actually a wee bit too strong - lol! Revenge is a cup of tea served strong!!!
Also, a bit different, but DD was friends with a girl in year 7 who lived quite a long drive away so when I dropped her off the mum (who was very friendly) asked if I wanted to stay for a coffee or go out to a local cafe. I took one look at the very messy and probably not entirely clean (smelled very strongly of dog!!) kitchen and proposed the cafe!! DH also picked her up once and was licked rather enthusiastically by one of the dogs and was not amused (and he is a dog lover!!).

Phonebox Mon 07-Sep-15 22:22:32

Oh my god. My first time travelling away from home on my own. I was a very naive 18 year old and meeting up across the country with a couple of lads I'd met online I know but I fancied one of them

Rocked up and all was fine, despite the lack of bathroom door, until the evening when, having not having eaten all day nor been offered any chance of anything to eat, they took me to the local pub and we proceeded to get drunk. When the barman threw us out we went back to the host lad's house and I sat in the living room and got my sleeping bag out.

Host and the other lad then came into the living room wearing nothing but towels and nervous smiles confused at this point I immediately jumped to the conclusion that they were in a gay relationship and wanted me to acknowledge that. Instead the lad I fancied sat next to me and tried to get me to give him a blowjob while his mate watched. I promptly threw up over him. Host ran away in horror and his mate sulked on the other sofa all night grin

I don't know what's worse, the fact I ended up going out with that lad for over 2 years or that my mum had warned me against going in the first place!! It was all like a really sordid, working-class version of An Education.

Tigger365 Mon 07-Sep-15 20:50:52

It's taken me about a week (on and off) to reach the end and now I'm very sad :-(

soloula Tue 25-Aug-15 18:51:57

This might be my favourite thread ever! grin

Mine would have to be a few years ago when I signed up as a volunteer tutor. I was assigned to a wee primary age boy and went with the volunteer coordinator to meet him.

We turned up at his flat as arranged but there was no answer. He was from a large family and one of his cousins was on the front step and said he was at another cousin's just down the road. Coordinator knew the flat as he'd arranged a tutor for said cousin so off we went to the other flat.

Arrived and the flat was full (think easily 40+ people). We got shown to the living room and met the wee boy and his mum. We were discussing what mum wanted from tutoring and their availability and the mum said that her dad was very ill and she would have to accompany his body back to Pakistan when he died. We asked as delicately as we could when this might be and she said basically any minute as he was very ill. Then she was called out the room and I was going through the wee boys school books with him when we heard this almighty wailing from just about every female in the flat.

Turns out the grandad was in the very next room and had just died. We made a hasty exit after that!

itsbetterthanabox Mon 17-Aug-15 23:36:25

Celiafate is it cool if slim people answer the door half dressed?
Is decency only based on how sexually attractive you deem the person?

willyouwontyou Mon 17-Aug-15 22:00:24

Aged about 23ish, new boyfriend. Takes me to meet his parents. We sit down to dinner, his mum has made spaghetti bolognaise. Go to start eating, his mum gives him a look and says 'Come on David, you know the rules'. He's like all 'mum not in front of my new girlfriend please'. I'm wondering what on earth is going on. Bit more arguing, eventually mother wins out.....and he takes his t shirt off and eats his dinner bare chested. Apparently he wasn't a very tidy spag bol eater and it was to save his mum having to get the stains out of his t shirt. I was shock

ProfessorPickles Mon 17-Aug-15 20:49:04

I want more grin

RainbowRoses Mon 17-Aug-15 02:14:16

Finally reached the end, I can go to sleep now!

Will be checking back soon for more grin

MarilynMongoose Tue 21-Jul-15 10:27:07

Xbf mum was a bit nutty. Instead of a shower curtain she had actual curtains in the shower complete with big tassle tie backs that smelt like damp dead skunks. When I stayed over she would take my dirty washing knickers and all out of my bag when I was out with Xbf and wash it all. Okay this is sort of kind but i was only there visiting for a night. Also she would wash out plastic shopping bags and hang them on the washing line to dry haha! A very odd family.

MarilynMongoose Tue 21-Jul-15 10:19:05

When I was about 13 a random girl in my class passed me a note asking if I would go round her house for dinner. A bit odd I thought as I never spoke to her and she was really quiet in class and didn't have any friends so I went as I felt a bit sorry for her to be honest. I remeber just sitting in her room not talking while she played with dolls confused we were 13 and my other friends certainly didn't play with toys etc we were more into talking about boys and getting drunk. Then hre mum said dinner was ready so we went into the dinning room and her mum had brought freind a furby. Her mum then went on for about 20 minutes explaining how the furby grin was for said friend only and not me and how I didn't know the girl well enough to be brought a furby of my own!? Did she honestly think I would be like where's my furby? We were 13 I didn't want a bloody furby anyway! All so odd!? She made the biggest fuss over this furby still makes me hmm to this day.

stayanotherday Sat 18-Jul-15 15:56:13

I had an aquaintance who seemed lonely and yet every time she invited me to hers,she'd always be going out after I'd arrived. I stopped as it was a 28 mile round trip.

dlwelly Fri 10-Jul-15 23:43:32

This is a great thread - hope I'm not too late to join in!

I can't think of any where I've been a guest but when I was younger (14) I was doing quite a bit of babysitting which I enjoyed and like to think I was quite good at!

I was recommended to a lady from my usual weekly lady. She wanted a night out with her husband and didn't know anyone (new to the area) so asked me as my usual lady recommended me.

I Went round in the week so that the kids would be used to me and so that I knew where everything was - she said she'd get them ready for bed etc. so just needed me to be there in case they woke up (they were 2 & 4).

The midweek visit went fine, kids were sweet and seemed very chilled.

Get there on the Saturday about 7.30 and she's no where near ready to go out. Asks me to entertain the kids which wasn't a problem as I enjoyed looking after them, I'm waiting for her to come down and put them to bed. About 8.30 she comes down all glammed up with husband, we're going now see you later, don't stay up too late with them!

A bit odd I thought as she said she would put them to bed and I thought it was getting late. Tell the kids one more game and then it's bed time (bear in mind I'm 14, no kids of my own and she didn't tell me anything about routines etc. )

8.45 she calls me as she's remembered (yes - she had forgotten but then remembered at 8.45!) that they haven't had their tea yet - would I mind doing tea?! Not a huge problem but I was very young and no bloody idea what to give them, she just said to get something out the cupboard! Think they had spaghetti on toast!

Kids probably didn't go down until 11ish. Maybe she wanted a lie in in the morning!

All very weird, didn't go back!

evelynj Tue 28-Apr-15 21:45:34

Haha, Boobykiss-that's great!!

FixItUpChappie Sun 26-Apr-15 17:05:03

we were at a child's birthday and at one point most of the living room had cleared out for a few minutes. my DH and I were sitting with my friends FIL, BIL, his wife. Sitting quietly when the wife (sitting on her husbands lap) asks her husband for a "booby-kiss". I thought perhaps I misheard her until she repeated it "booby-kiss?". Her father in law just sat there awkwardly while we stared at our shoes.

my husband and I still snigger about it. What a weird fucking thing to say in front of others especially your FIL

evelynj Sun 26-Apr-15 15:34:24

A lady near me is OCD to the point that she has NO bins in the house & doesn't like her wheelie bing getting dirty. Db was doing some work for it fitting a door that was faulty but on asking her for the receipt, (shed bought door previous day), was told 'I haven't got it anymore-went with yesterday's rubbish.

Turns out she drives to the tip every day before it closes with that day's rubbish!

Also, once myself & some uni friends had gone to stay at my xbf house while his parents were away. I'd mentioned to a friend that they lived in a lovely little village with river in back garden & v old pub across road. She turned up around midnight having decided she'd like to visit, only she didn't know the address & forgot the name of the village. She'd got the train to the large town & then got in a taxi & told the driver what she knew of where she wanted to get to. After a whistle stop tour decided yes this was the village & knocked on some neighbours doors to see if they knew xbf. Just slightly shocked to open the door to her, esp as she had shaved her head & wasn't wearing any shoes. Then had to scrape together money to pay the taxi driver for her!

Happiestinwellybobs Fri 24-Apr-15 18:54:08

I was asked to be a bridesmaid for a work colleague who I'd become very friendly with. The wedding was a couple of hours drive away in the afternoon - I was told that arriving in the morning wouldn't be good enough and I should pay for two nights hotel stay. And as it was on a Friday (being cheaper for them) I had to take the day off work. In the run up, the groom who I also worked with told me they didn't want gifts and wanted money instead - suggesting £50 would be appropriate, even to the point of tallying up how much they would get!

I had bought a beautiful bowl - very much their taste. Obviously this didn't go down well and my thank you card - very short and to the point - arrived weeks after the rest of my colleagues!

So we arrive at the hotel. The bride falls out with me as I've had a fake tan which is darker than hers and I don't attend a pre-wedding dinner which I hadn't been invited to, I am not told about any of the days plans.

The wedding took place. The guests went in to the meal - tables laid with several wine glasses but no wine appeared. Cue 50 odd people all getting up at once to the go to the bar!

Throw in a drug dealer at the evening reception and the husband of a work colleague stalking me all evening as he'd gone on his own and left his pregnant wife at home.

I didn't have much to do with the couple after that smile

wrongbongpacketofrinso Fri 24-Apr-15 13:01:48

We went to DH's Aunt's house for DH's grandmother's 80th birthday party. I was in the kitchen helping put food on platters to go out to the buffet table. I mentioned there was no platter for the bread so the Aunt moved the cat out of its basket, took the tea towel off its hook and popped it in the basket, then handed the basket to me to put the bread in. I was too gobsmacked to say anything, my SIL (who had seen the whole thing) raced outside to tell my DH, her DH and our other BILs and SILs not to eat the bread! Meow!!!

gabsdot45 Tue 21-Apr-15 11:51:52

I thought of another one. My dad's aunt was a sort of Catholic groupy. She used to go on pilgrimages to all the sites, Lourdes, Knock etc. And she had a group of friends that she used to go with. One was a priest and she was very fond of him and was very keen for my parents to meet him so one day they went to his house for tea.
He was an avid collector of all things to do with nun's habits, (ie the clothing nuns wear). His house was full of dolls dresses as nuns including a life size nun doll wearing a nun's burial outfit in a coffin.
My mum said it was the weirdest place she'd ever been in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now