Do you remember the thread about my son's missing monkey? Well, I promised to let you know what happened Christmas Day...

(105 Posts)
CheeseAndBunion Mon 26-Dec-11 08:32:08

...So it would seen unreasonable not to.

I'm not sure if you'll all remember but a couple of months ago Crispface started a thread here in AIBU to try and help me track down a replacement for my 4 year old son's long lost stripey monkey. Hundreds of you joined in the search, and in the end two amazing Mumsnetters, Cloudbase and Sparrowfart, got in touch to say they had one. I know this isn't really a traditional AIBU but I promised to come back and update on the Xmas Day reunion - it wouldn't have happened without you all...

You might remember from my original posts that we are staying at my Parent's for Xmas. My Dad bought the original 'Stripes' for my son the day he was born so we figured reuniting 'Stripes' with my DS on Xmas day would make it special for them both. We wrapped the prodigal monkey and put him in his own stocking but he stayed hidden till after all the presents had been opened and lunch had been scoffed. Then sometime in between Happy Feet and Ratatouille I sneaked outside and put the stocking on the front door step. Back in the house, whilst we were all sat round and my DS was playing with my Dad, I said 'was that the front door?'. Given they're a bit cloth eared my Parent's didn't even question the fact that no-one had knocked and went to answer the door (my DS went running after to see who was there). There on the step was one little stocking, my son brought it in and I suggested he get Grandad to read the label out to him. So they sat in a chair and read and this is what it said...

'Dear DS,  Do you know the story of 'Stick Man'? Well a bit like 'Stick Man' I got lost a long, long time ago and couldn't find my way home. I met lots of lovely people and had many adventures whilst searching to find my way back and then this year I bumped into Father Christmas. He said that if I helped him deliver all the toys to all the boys and all the girls he would bring me home to you this year on his sleigh. I'm so glad he did. You're my best friend and I have missed you very much. I'm happy to be home...
Love 'Stripes' xxx

My Dad was in tears when my son unwrapped his missing monkey. My little boy is still bouncing off the walls with glee. He has not stopped squeezing 'Stripes' and telling us all how clever Father Christmas must be to have found him and how happy he is that he's back since. He went to bed last night with his prodigal monkey and slept for 12 happy hours with him clutched in his arms. You have all made him happier than you could possibly imagine and my Dad is still choked up talking about it now.

Thank you all. I am still touched by how many of you cared enough to respond to the original thread and our Christmas Day would not have had the same magic without you. If ever you are browsing threads and see the names 'Crispface', 'Cloudbase', or 'Sparrowfart' then please remember that they have hearts of gold and went out of their way to make a total stranger very happy. 

Merry Christmas to you all from the CheeseandBunion family and Stripes! I hope all of you had great days too.

Xx

LadyBeagleBaublesAndBells Mon 26-Dec-11 15:51:56

grin
ds 16 still has doggy from the day he was born. He sits safe in my wardrobe, after I got a puppy who chewed everything in sight.
I know exactly how you feel, when we went on holiday the list was passport, tickets, doggy.
He never got lost and he's still very precious.

Haberdashery Mon 26-Dec-11 15:55:44

That is beautiful. I'm so happy for you all.

YuleingFanjo Mon 26-Dec-11 15:58:57

how lovely, I remember the thread. brought tears to my eyes. grin

ReeBee Mon 26-Dec-11 16:00:02

So lovely. But you definitely needed a tissues warning!

<sob>

LoopyLoopsWoopDeWoops Mon 26-Dec-11 16:04:31

Brilliant! Well done all. smile

madangelhairday Mon 26-Dec-11 16:07:35

Ah ... just gorgeous <cries> smile

LEttletownofBOFlehem Mon 26-Dec-11 16:10:37

I think I have some dust in my eye...

4madboys Mon 26-Dec-11 16:13:25

i read the origional thread! LOVE the little note, how clever to put in about the stick man story!! ( i read that to my boys on xmas eve!) so glad your ds is sooo happy, another one with tears here!! grin

FionaBruise Mon 26-Dec-11 16:13:30

brilliant! ha I just asked my bloke..can I tell you a lovely story? he goes, "yes, but not now, print if off and read it to me down the pub." ... so I have printed it off for him to blub to down the pub!!.... god The March of the Penugins yesterday and Goodnight Mister Tom this morning on TV was emotional enough but Stripes is gonna kill him :-)
Thanks ! Lovely!

fumblebee Mon 26-Dec-11 16:31:28

Aw bless. So nice to hear you had such a wonderful Christmas. There are people out there who will go the extra mile to spread some magic, just takes some time to find them sometimes!x

Rhinestone Mon 26-Dec-11 16:38:15

Lovely!! Just lovely - tears in my eyes!

Well done Crispface, Cloudbase and Sparrowfart!

liveinazoo Mon 26-Dec-11 16:46:04

how lovely to hear some good,kind people are still out there.the little note was wonderful touch.what a lucky boy to have a mum who never gave up and the spirit and help of mumsnet.merry xmas

HedleyLamarr Mon 26-Dec-11 16:46:50

What a wonderful story.

runningwilde Mon 26-Dec-11 16:47:11

I remember your story and that is beautiful! Now, establish some ground rules for the monkey... Monkey stays in the house or can go to other houses but not to town or shops etc! My dd is very attached to a little bunny but she knows she can't take bunny to the shops or town and that saves me a lot of panic as hopefully bunny wont ever be lost! X

I remember the original thread <sob> what a lovely story and a great reminder of how wonderful people can be!

KitchenandJumble Mon 26-Dec-11 17:03:41

I remember your original thread. A couple of days ago I thought about it for some reason and hoped you would update. What a lovely ending. Truly heartwarming!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 26-Dec-11 17:05:16

Such a lovely story

<wipes eyes>

I have something in my eye wink

What a lovely mummy you are

Lonnie Mon 26-Dec-11 17:55:48

I remember the thread and I am so happy that he reunion went well

elfyrespect Mon 26-Dec-11 18:10:39

Fantastic smile

hazchem Mon 26-Dec-11 19:07:05

my OH and are are a bit weepy at this story. Wow!

NatashaBee Mon 26-Dec-11 19:10:47

That's lovely. So nice to hear about a child being so happy with a stuffed toy, after all the stories about getting iPads and laptops.

shinyrobot Mon 26-Dec-11 19:14:00

smile grin smile grin smile grin smile grin smile grin

Oh MN at Christmas is terrible for my poor mascara! So glad your DS had a magical Christmas!

thebigkahuna Mon 26-Dec-11 19:24:32

Hurray! Thannks so much for updating - nominating this for classics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now