What stupid things have you believed/said/assume d before finding out to your embarrassment you were wrong?

(412 Posts)
CookieRookie Sat 27-Aug-11 13:38:38

Could do with a laugh today

Here's mine...

1 - I thought a filet mignon was something presented on fire, you know with brandy or something...a flamin yon blush

2 - I thought rollmops where called roll 'em ups because they're rolled up but I was kind of right with that one.

Not hilarious, though dh did laugh at me til he was nearly sick, but I'm hoping some of you have much better, more embarrassing ones.

BalloonSlayer Sat 27-Aug-11 15:02:31

We have been to Chessington world of adventures today, and it reminded me of one of DH's corkers.

The first time we went there, he went on the flying elephants with one of the DCs. Throughout the ride, DH was gesticulating to the person supervising, as his elephant was stubbornly refusing to get airborne.

When the ride ended, DH announced mournfully: "Our one didn't go up in the air."

I said "Did you press the button? I didn't see you pressing the button."

[There is a big button with a sign saying Press this button to make me fly. ]

DH said "No. I didn't bother. I thought that was just for show."

hmm WTF confused

I mean, you'd think he'd have pushed it once just to SEE WHAT HAPPENED, wouldn't you?

NB This is a true story and DH is considered an intelligent man.

YossarianLives Sat 27-Aug-11 15:06:05

I thought the wheels on vehicles moved backwards and pushed the car forwards hmm. A few years later I went on to receive a MSc in physics hmmhmmgrin

TaudrieTattoo Sat 27-Aug-11 15:06:08

Youngish Bag

We must have had the same dream blush

CornishMade Sat 27-Aug-11 15:08:30

I thought until my mid-30s that Yosemite national park in the States was pronounced with two syllables, ie rhyming with 'hose might'. My bag. I had heard Yosemite spoken aloud but never linked it with the written word.

floss I thought that too! Right up until I read this thread blush Can someone explain what 'on aggregate' does mean then please? blush

And re. the elephants ride - a few months ago I took dd on some dodgems and wondered why ours wasn't moving - the attendant had to tell me to push the pedal blush

BalloonSlayer Sat 27-Aug-11 15:14:16

I know that Buenos Aires is pronounced "Boyners Ar-rees" but I am terrified to try to say, because in my head I always pronounce it "Bew-nos Airs" and I think it'll come out like the latter. blush

EverythingInMiniature Sat 27-Aug-11 15:14:21

how is it pronounced Cornish? blush

tabulahrasa Sat 27-Aug-11 15:14:32

Cornish I did the same with Arkansas, I'd seen Arkansas and heard Arkensaw - but didn't connect them at all.

Though I don't think thst's so silly, given that Arkansas shouldn't sound like Arkensaw.

GeneralDisarray Sat 27-Aug-11 15:15:13

oo oo I thought the expression 'the whole kit and caboodle' was 'kitten caboodle' until I saw it written down recently...why would it be kitten??? Also my Ex DP thought unicorns existed in forests in Germany. I had to go on wikipedia go convince him otherwise

breathedeeply Sat 27-Aug-11 15:16:04

As a child I thought that the Moody Blues song 'Nights in White Satin' was actually about knights. Only recently (when I saw the song title written down) did I realise my mistake.

BalloonSlayer Sat 27-Aug-11 15:17:13

I didn't know Connecticut had the second c in it and smugly assumed someone had made a spelling mistake. Luckily I didn't say anything. [phew emoticon]

Solopower Sat 27-Aug-11 15:19:21

Bwennoss Aye-res.

soymama Sat 27-Aug-11 15:21:08

My DP and father of my child didn't know what a clitoris was AND thought that the baby and wee came out the same hole!! gringringrin
Ps. He's 30

CookieRookie Sat 27-Aug-11 15:27:33

grin ROFL at these

CornishMade Sat 27-Aug-11 15:27:59

Everything Yosemite is pronounced Yo-sem-itty, four syllables. Anyone remember the cartoon Yosemite Sam?!

5inthebed Sat 27-Aug-11 15:30:13

Water polo with horses grin Do they wear trunks?

Until I was a teenager, I thought American babies never cried, as they did not appear to do so in films/tv series.

pinkgirlythoughts Sat 27-Aug-11 15:30:16

soymama, my DP thought the same, and when I said, "no, I have two holes, just like you do," he replied with "no, I don't!" and a shocked expression. Turns out he thought the wee and the semen came out of the same place too!

Tee2072 Sat 27-Aug-11 15:30:33

YO-sem-A-Tee

Yosemite

Solopower Sat 27-Aug-11 15:31:36

Pink - they do!

Tee2072 Sat 27-Aug-11 15:32:32

Um, wee and semen do come out of the same hole, just from different tubes, in a penis.

pinkgirlythoughts Sat 27-Aug-11 15:35:31

That's what I mean, lol, he thought it was all one tube, connecting bladder, testes, the whole lot, all together!

Naoko Sat 27-Aug-11 15:35:51

Re: 'on aggregate' - a football score given as 'on aggregate' is a score for a match played over two legs, so that both teams get a home and an away match. Usually the scores of the two matches are added up to get the aggregate score to determine who wins. If that's a draw, and it's a knockout competition where someone must win, there's usually some form of weighting rule to determine who wins a tie, for example 'away goals count double' is a common one.

Thanks naoko smile

EverythingInMiniature Sat 27-Aug-11 15:39:32

Yo-sem-a-tee! That does sound a lot better!

Wee and semen both come from the same hole and from the same tube in the penis (the urethra). Sperm travels up the vas deferens from the testicles and into the urethra just below the bladder where the prostate also produces seminal fluid.

treetrunkthighs Sat 27-Aug-11 15:41:01

grin at flamin' yon grin

Mine is dull, but I thought OMD were called in full 'A Kestral Manoeuvres in the Dark'. Quite what I thought the O stood for is anyone's guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now