What stupid things have you believed/said/assume d before finding out to your embarrassment you were wrong?

(412 Posts)
CookieRookie Sat 27-Aug-11 13:38:38

Could do with a laugh today

Here's mine...

1 - I thought a filet mignon was something presented on fire, you know with brandy or something...a flamin yon blush

2 - I thought rollmops where called roll 'em ups because they're rolled up but I was kind of right with that one.

Not hilarious, though dh did laugh at me til he was nearly sick, but I'm hoping some of you have much better, more embarrassing ones.

cumbria81 Thu 26-Apr-12 15:06:15

I used to think "Anon" was a very prolific poet, as a lot of the poems in my childhood anthology were written by him

We used to call the little ulcers that you get on your tongue "Elsie's" because I'd once pronounced it wrong when I was little. My younger sister missed out on the genesis of this little family quirk and it wasn't until she was about 22 and in the pub with a load of mates and said 'I've got an Elsie' that she was put right...

Also had a long discussion with my DH re-educating him about basic anatomy. He thought that the small intestine made your wee and your large intestine made your poo.

I on the other hand have never ever ever done anything worth posting on this thread.... [blushes]

conorsrockers Thu 26-Apr-12 21:55:37

On my first trip to Scotland with my then boyfriend (now DH) to his hometown we drove through a small village and I made a dumb comment that I thought 'twenty's plenty' was a stupid name for a village hmm oh well, he still married me wink

drwhojam Sat 28-Apr-12 22:49:03

I used to think that the tide went out because someone had pulled the plug out, like in a bath or sink! Thought this until I was 7 or 8! Also said "amimals" and "in a mimit" grin

poncypony Mon 27-Aug-12 03:33:46

I thought that Budapest and Bucharest were the same city, just with different translations. Turns out they're the capitals of two different countries.

I also never made the connection that when a scientist wanted (for example) to use a cancer-curing drug on a rat, they would be the ones to give the rat cancer in the first place. I guess I thought that there was an advert for rat owners to bring their ill pets in.

Apparently rats with genetic defects are much more expensive than their "normal" counterparts.

fuzzpig Mon 27-Aug-12 06:13:33

This thread is truly deserving of its classic status! It's got me through a bout of insomnia tonight. smile

My DH believed until he was about 15 that women do not poo.

My mum thought the main line from the Lady Gaga song is "cherry pie, cherry pie, no he can't read my poker face".

A friend of DH's sister thought that after you give birth they put the placenta back in, in case the woman had another baby that needed to use it. She was pregnant at the time.

I'm sure I have loads of my own but can't think of any new ones because I probably don't even realise they are wrong grin

Though I will admit to the strombolise/strong beliefs lyric. Didn't realise that until I read this thread. blush Although goodness knows what I though a strombolise was. hmm

Brizzmus Mon 27-Aug-12 07:05:51

What a brilliant read during a night time feed!
I thought that Paddington station was named after the bear.

thekidsarealright Mon 27-Aug-12 08:23:59

I've loved reading this!

Ok - I was 22 when I found out that Dinosaurs definitely existed - until then I thought it was "one of many possibilities." blush

spottyock Tue 28-Aug-12 09:32:02

Was reading on Facebook a few weeks back that someone's friends daughter was doing summer salts on the trampoline.

I only recently found out that cherry blossom trees produced cherries and apple blossoms produced apples. I thought it was a reference to the colour of the petals when they are flowering.

GrumpyOldWomanToo Thu 30-Aug-12 03:22:13

When I went to the US in 1966 I saw the word "pizza" for the first time, and pronounced it "pizz-uh". I mean, why not? confused

I was taken to a Chinese restaurant, much against my will, and ordered an egg roll, under the impression it was something like an egg sandwich.

I thought a hamburger was made with ham - why else would it be called a hamburger? (To be fair, there was a restaurant in my home town that sold beefburgers.) I was also astonished to discover a cheeseburger had meat in it... I thought it was like a beefburger, but with cheese instead of beef.

CorrieDale Fri 22-Feb-13 20:07:44

For some time I found it odd that so many cricketers were called ODI Career.

Budgiegirlbob Tue 26-Feb-13 23:15:32

My lightbulb moment was when it suddenly occurred to me that Public Weighbridge was not a town. I was 40 at the time! Also when I was in my thirties I asked my DH where the gas tower near our house had gone? I didn't realise they went up and down, even though I'd driven past it on my way to work for four years.

And I'm still not sure if its true that The Wizard of Oz changes from black and white to colour because that's when colour film was invented. I was telling a colleague this last year, when it occurred to me how ridiculous it sounded, but it's what my dad told me when I was little, and now I just don't know if its true!

almostanotherday Wed 27-Feb-13 00:05:08

I used to see a van parked up in the same road every week when we went to visit my grandparents, the van had shop fitters on the side, I used to think it read shop lifters and wondered why the police let them drive around in a van with shop lifters written on it.

reeniemartini Wed 27-Feb-13 19:09:12

My OH thought that "albeit' was pronounced "i'll-bite".

I still remember a friend at school being asked by a teacher how much her body would be worth if it was broken down into minerals / metals. Her reply was, "well it all depends if I sell my orgasms or not". Yup, she meant organs (I hope!)

My sister also used to sing " I am the Lord of the dance SET-TEE ". Our family preferred it so much to the right lyrics that we both had it as a hymn at our wedding, cue much gigging from the front pews when it came to the chorus.

Oh - and it took me until well in my teens to realise that that solicitors were not the same people who got into trouble for soliciting and that protestants and prostitutes weren't the same thing. I spent a very long time very confused about this sad

ColdHandLou Wed 27-Feb-13 22:03:30

Oh yes poncypony I used to think the same thing about Bruges & Brussels blush

Lorelai Thu 28-Feb-13 19:49:43

When DD1 was born, I expressed my surprise to DH about how big the placenta was. He told me that of course it was big, as the baby had been inside it. I tried to correct him, but he was so adamant I started to doubt myself and let it go.

delilahlilah Thu 07-Mar-13 13:27:12

This one isn't me, but I've just spotted it on a radio station's fb page:
"Can I request 'totally clips of the heart' for my boyfriend Mikey as he's just so nice..." grin

littlemissmedium Wed 13-Mar-13 18:38:37

Unfortunately, I'm related to the person who came out with these little nuggets:

"When you contraceive a baby..."

"I have a speech imparchment!" (they don't)

"Oh your cat got hit by a car? How sad. Good job it's got another 8 lives though, isn't it?"

"If we're going to get pacific about things..." instead of specific

I do love this person immeasurably though!!

catlady1 Thu 14-Mar-13 22:17:31

When I was very little I thought London was a different country.

I made a bit of a twat of myself at school when I was about 15, I didn't realise that "Auf Weidersehen" was German, I thought it was just something people said in Newcastle.

WomanCalledAlice Mon 18-Mar-13 17:40:24

This thread is so funny!

Up until the age of 18 ish I used to think Euthanasia was youth in Asia. I kept wondering what the kids in Asia were up to this time...

I used to drive passed a sign every day going to work that read Clay Pigeon Shooting. I thought clay pigeons were a breed of pigeons and very much feathered birds.

Crocodilehunter Wed 20-Mar-13 20:08:40

I was play fighting with my OH and we always start with threats, i said I was going to STAVE his head in! He asked 'what did you say?' With a smile on his face! I knew then i got the saying wrong blush I was so embarrassed i had to play fight twice as rough to get over it grin
(I know now that the saying is 'stove your head in' but don't think I'll try that threat again)

DebK2012 Sun 24-Mar-13 16:11:12

My dds English teacher calls the main character in noughts and crosses stephy writes sephy but says stephy this is also apparently short for persephone ( purse eh phone) sad

HilaryM Sun 24-Mar-13 16:40:22

Has anyone clarified the knee cap thing?

YES babies have kneecaps. They're not visible on x rays at birth because they're cartilaginous, which gradually ossify (become bone) as children age.

IrrelevantElephant Sun 24-Mar-13 17:14:59

Until the Olympics I thought horses were involved in water polo too blush

When I was in school and studying geography, my dad told me Niagara Falls was switched off at night to save energy. I believed him until I went to the falls in my twenties, and learnt otherwise!!

unlucky83 Sun 24-Mar-13 17:19:53

At 28 it randomly dawned on me...cows don't actually give each other piggy backs!
(Grandparents had a farm when I was a child ... I must have been told that to avoid awkward questions when I was really young...and never questioned itblush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now