A white knuckle ride of a thread about PEARL BARLEY

(161 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 21:26:08

[Florence & The Machine Inspirational Music Intro]

Pearl Barley

[Shots of young people doing parkour on walls with graffiti]

Right I have 375 g of pearl barley left in my 500g bag and unless I get some VERY EXCITING and dramatic ideas of what the chuff to do with it the dds will be clearing it out from the top back shelf in 40 years time when I have snuffed it.

NO SOUP

Thank you

Trills Sat 20-Jul-13 15:50:42

I have a soup with PFB in it on the hob right now.

Yes I know it's summer, I like soup okay?

Someone else just mentioned this thread and I Googled. I am now resurrecting for the sole purpose of pointing out that in just over two years the price of Pearl Fucking Barley has ROCKETED from 39p to 55p! Now see what happens when you bloody MNers make things trendy!"!!

*I have never bought, cooked or eaten PFB. (Pearl Fucking Barley, not precious first-born. Although I didn't cook and eat him, either.)

SkivingAgain Fri 30-Dec-11 10:09:05

Grateful thanks to SilentBoob for resurrecting this thread. It's 'before my time', as a newish MNer. Brilliant grin

SilentBoob Fri 30-Dec-11 09:35:07

I am supposed to be looking for that thread about St Moritz tanning cream. Dh doesn't believe me that I have been side-trached for 20 minutes reading about Pearl Fucking Barley.

RustyBear Thu 06-Oct-11 11:06:52

Sometimes old threads are worth reviving...

Mmm, port!

SlubberKongWubba Tue 01-Mar-11 19:39:01

yes!

I was taken by suprise too.

dh and I had no olives, or snackerage of any sort OR any wine so we had to drink port pre the PB risotto.

An hour?! That's ages! Good excuse to eat olives while you wait I guess.

SlubberKongWubba Tue 01-Mar-11 18:18:03

It takes much longer than risotto rice Trillian (says she who has only done it once). About an hour, maybe more. didn't fart arse about with all the stirring shennanigans. Amounts about the same as rice.

I did it (the PB risotto) with bratwusrt sausages. It was VERY good.

i have nearly finished the original packet smile

So if I want to make risotto with pearl barley...

how much stuff?

how long to cook?

I have bought some Pearl Barley now.

I feel it deserves capitals.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it though.

Some bulgar wheat too.

iscream Mon 14-Feb-11 08:41:01
iscream Mon 14-Feb-11 08:39:50

PFB sounds like the perfect thing to store vats full, in case of Apocalypse. It has so many uses! If barley water is good for the complexion, imagine a scrub as mentioned, using barely water with it!
I see it can be used to pay wages as well!
[[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_th e_Apocalypse}}

manicmij Fri 11-Feb-11 23:44:23

Lemon Barley Water is a good alternative to Soup!

DirtyMartini Fri 11-Feb-11 21:47:35

This is the kind of thread you used to get back when classics really were classics <nostalgic>

SoSweet Fri 11-Feb-11 20:06:52

Good in a casserole with a ham joint, carrots, onions, celery etc etc

everythingchangeseverything Fri 11-Feb-11 19:59:21

In honour of this should-be-in-classics thread, I have some PFB soaking in the fridge. Tomorrow, it will be stew. You have reminded me that it was one of the only things DS would eat when he was 10 months-ish. Used to make vats of the stuff and pour it in with a cup (spoon refuse-nik).

IngridBergmann Fri 11-Feb-11 19:45:55

What happens if you cook it for days and says? Does it actually get enormous? Like, you could be physically attacked by one grain, sort of big?

If so I would make it into (several hundred) beanbags.

DirtyMartini Fri 11-Feb-11 19:40:13

Loving the 'words made of fire' grin

Slubber Fri 11-Feb-11 18:36:50

shock oldgreybird. No such fartogenic effects here so far.

grin @ PFB making the round up.

oldgreybird Fri 11-Feb-11 17:33:19

My DP has a problem with pearl barley - he likes it but it doesn't seem to like him. Last time he had any it was years ago when he used to teach at an art college. He ended up having to rush into a tiny store room/cupboard in the room to let off the most foul, evil smelling farts. To avoid his students hearing him, he tried to cover up the explosions with loud coughing but, of course, that only made the farting worse! And he spent the rest of the class in a state of dread in case someone needed to get something and was knocked unconscious when they opened the store cupboard door!
Clearly, the whole episode has scarred him for life as he hasn't touched pearl barley since then and I only need to mention it for him to suddenly decide he would like to cook supper instead of me!

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 15:30:03

gawd

Mucilaginous is pretty specific to PFB isn't it.

Maybe the mayor could be driving in a tank sat on a seat with the in car massager and he is shouting "It's mucilaginous!" in a menacing fashion.

Yes I want to know why you store and refrigerate your dirty barley faced water?

bigbadbarry Fri 04-Feb-11 15:15:05

Rinse it off then refrigerate sounds a bit unhygenic to me - do you have to rinse it into a special bowl?

Hullygully Fri 04-Feb-11 14:57:52

I'd stick with the in car massager

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 14:53:56

Well slubber that is splendid and I'm sure will play well in the focus groups..

But, look, I googled and got the passage below, and so I think you need to work in "mucilaginous" and "demulcent" to cover all demographics:

"A mucilaginous substance is obtained when hulled barley (pearl barley) is cooked; good nutritional source for throat or stomach problems. The demulcent properties of cooked barley is useful in external treatment of sores, fevers, diarrhea, gout, and tumors. Used as a tonic during convalescence.

Barley water is a skin freshener, cleanses and softens skin. Made by simmering 3 tbsp. barley in 3 cups water for an hour. Strain and cool. Rinse off face after using and refrigerate the barley water. This is best for normal skin. Drinking barley water is also supposed to clear and beautify the skin; sweeten with honey and orange juice.

Barley shoots are used to dry mother's milk, treat food stagnation, weak stomach, weak digestion, loss of appetite, and hepatitis. "

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now