This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Better Miscarriage Care - could you help with the renaming of ERPC (takes 20 seconds!)?

(72 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jul-12 12:54:30

Hello

You might remember that we've been working with the Miscarriage Association and the Association of Early Pregnancy Units to find an alternative term for ERPC (Evacuation of Retained Products of Conception), a term which so many of you found insensitive and upsetting. Good news - there's been unanimous support from doctors, midwives, nurses and sonographers for finding a new name to describe the procedure.

Earlier this year we pointed you towards a survey which asked what you'd like the alternative term to be. The favourite amongst those on offer was 'surgical treatment of miscarriage', but many also unilaterally suggested 'surgical management of miscarriage', which wasn't one of the stated options at that time.

This phrase would fit in well with the terms already in use for alternative treatments - "medical management" (with tablets) and "expectant management" (or the natural process).

So could we possibly ask you one more time to follow this link and let us know which term you prefer? We know it's been a rather <ahem> extended process, but it's a super-quick survey and it would be great to get this as right as we possibly can.

Thanks,

MNHQ

SESthebrave Tue 03-Jul-12 13:02:35

Done - thank you!
I think it's worth taking time on this to get it right.

Done

huffpuff75 Tue 03-Jul-12 13:10:27

Done - thanks Mumsnet for campaigning on this

alana39 Tue 03-Jul-12 13:31:42

Done, thankyou MN

scrappydappydoo Tue 03-Jul-12 13:35:57

Done & thank you! Such a small thing will make so much difference.

speculationisrife Tue 03-Jul-12 14:54:28

Done. Thank you - another small step to changing attitudes.

SaliFourth Tue 03-Jul-12 15:13:42

Thank you for helping to sort this. Feeling a bit emotional here.

maples Tue 03-Jul-12 15:30:21

Done - so glad this is potentially going to happen.

HotheadPaisan Tue 03-Jul-12 15:48:18

Done

Woofsaidtheladybird Tue 03-Jul-12 16:39:36

Done - also quite a bit emotional here, but anything to make the process a little more sensitive goes a long way.

ginhag Tue 03-Jul-12 17:39:28

Done. Thanks.

EmmaFurk Tue 03-Jul-12 17:45:22

Also done! I found this term upsetting when i had to go through it.

pinkpyjamas Tue 03-Jul-12 18:16:06

Done.
I found the current term offensive and distressing.
It minimalises what is a very stressful emotional experience.

tunnocksteacake Tue 03-Jul-12 18:20:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TreeFuMom Tue 03-Jul-12 18:36:58

I also found the term "missed abortion" which is used by many medical professionals instead of "missed miscarriage" upsetting and confusing. Has any thought been given to that in the campaign?

Done.

Done. Thank you.

blondieminx Tue 03-Jul-12 20:03:29

Done, thanks MNHQ for campaigning on this thanks

Done. A much better choice than the previous name.

Done.

ShredniVashtar Tue 03-Jul-12 20:48:39

Done. Thanks Mumsnet for this - may it be commonplace very soon. I agree with the poster above about the term "missed abortion" too.

orangebowl Tue 03-Jul-12 21:52:36

Done. I've had 3 of them in the last 18 months so become desensitised to ERPC but thinking about it the new terms are much better

oshuk Tue 03-Jul-12 22:14:05

Done and also agree with poster re term 'missed abortion'.

cosysocks Tue 03-Jul-12 22:48:05

Done but with a tear in my eyes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now