PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

Last chance to nominate - who's helped to promote body confidence in children this year?

(87 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-Feb-12 03:46:49

Hello

Some of you might remember that we've joined up with the Campaign for Body Confidence, to try to reduce the pressure on all of us to look perfect and to promote a more positive body image - particularly among children and young people. You can find out more about the campaign here.

Supportive parliamentarians have now formed a cross-party forum to look into body image anxiety in the UK, and they'll be reporting back later this year. In the meantime, the two groups are launching the Body Confidence Awards, celebrating the contribution of individuals, organisations and companies who've helped to promote body confidence over the last year.

We're very pleased to announce that we'll be there on the night, to present <drumroll> the Mumsnet Award for promoting body confidence in children.

Could you help us out by getting your thinking caps on, and letting us know who you think deserves the award? Feel free to think creatively - the winner could be a product or an organisation, but it could equally be an individual or even a TV or book character.

Please leave your suggestions on the thread - the one with the most mentions wins the gong!

mellowcat Wed 29-Feb-12 18:45:10

I'd nominate Jabadao

ptiger Wed 29-Feb-12 18:54:45

It has to be Gok Wan, his has been campaigning on this issue for a number of years, has been to number 10, come up with a body confidence lesson to be taught in school. Kids really relate to him.

MissBetsyTrotwood Wed 29-Feb-12 20:17:46

Cerrie from Cbeebies.

lesstalkmoreaction Wed 29-Feb-12 20:31:48

Gok for me, the teen programme was very good

LynnCSchreiber Wed 29-Feb-12 20:33:53

Not a fan of Gok since his message seems to be that you are FABULOUS as you are, but here is a corset that will pull in all your wobbly bits, make you feel uncomfortable and restrict blood supply to your vital organs.

I thought we were past all that.

No idea what his teen program was like, but based on his love of spanx, I wouldn't say he promotes body confidence.

PigeonStreet Wed 29-Feb-12 20:37:38

Another vote for Cerrie from CBeebies and PinkStinks

babster Wed 29-Feb-12 21:01:10

David Walliams' children's books are very good for showing it's who you are, not how you look, that counts.

TBE Wed 29-Feb-12 21:02:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TBE Wed 29-Feb-12 21:04:07

almondfinger Wed 29-Feb-12 21:15:50

Pinkstinks for me please.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 29-Feb-12 21:34:15

LineRunner Wed 29-Feb-12 22:22:42

My DD's secondary school has an amazing (male) PE teacher. He encourages all the girls to take part in sports, is cool about them wearing tracksuits if that helps to get them onto the court/track, sorts out friendship disputes in the most excellent ways, and teaches them that they're shooting themselves in the foot commenting on each others' bodies.

yousankmybattleship Wed 29-Feb-12 23:12:06

Gok for me too. Not Pink Stinks please!

neepsntatties Thu 01-Mar-12 06:03:30

Not Gok. I hate the way he goes around grabbing women. At Christmas he was on Alan Carr and asked a woman in the audience if she was single and when she said yes he said something like 'Well I can do this then.' and grabbed her breasts. I remember thinking it would be considered sexual assault in any other context but in this one it was all supposed to be a big joke and the woman just had to laugh.

I like pink stinks. Great to have something out there challenging the pink Disney princess crap.

peggyblackett Thu 01-Mar-12 07:32:38

Pinkstinks for me please.

JugglingWithTangentialOranges Thu 01-Mar-12 09:33:07

Though he may do some good stuff I'd not be happy in voting for Gok either.
PinkStinks or Radical Cheerleaders sound more inspiring to me.
Think it would be good to choose a woman too really smile

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 01-Mar-12 11:12:55

Emmiedarling Thu 01-Mar-12 17:32:42

Body Gossip. But specfically Natasha Devon for her campaigns in schools.

http://www.bodygossip.org/

David Walliams' books are lovely.

nailak Thu 01-Mar-12 20:38:26

cerrie

RhinosDontEatPancakes Thu 01-Mar-12 21:43:48

Gok

FoofFighter Thu 01-Mar-12 22:43:22

Has to be another vote for Gok Wan, and also for the Joy of Teen Sex crew, not sure of all of their names though so the programme as a whole please smile

Cerrie and Ellie have not as far as I know actually specifically done things to raise confidence like the above have.

neepsntatties Fri 02-Mar-12 00:21:42

Stewie I was screaming at the TV at the time, I couldn't believe that he did it or that it was seen as not just ok but funny.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 02-Mar-12 06:44:09

pchick Fri 02-Mar-12 08:11:44

Adele - superb success over the last year, but not conforming to being a stick thin model.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now