Not eating pork

(28 Posts)
SahmOldSameOld Sun 06-Jan-13 22:23:47

One of the few practices of my faith which I observe is not to eat pork, and I do not give my 4 yo DD pork to eat either.

How do I best explain to my DD why she can't eat ham sandwiches like the other children at birthday parties?

To confuse matters, DH is not of the same faith and does eat pork...

thewhistler Fri 22-Mar-13 13:44:44

I think startail's view is good.

I would also offer, having been brought up in levantine countries, that pigs are scavengers, running semi wild eating the refuse ( or they were in my childhood) and people don't want to eat such an animal. And pork ( and shellfish, also scavengers) go off fast. So the dietary laws make sense in the countries where they were created.

In terms of your own choices, I think you can say that you just wouldn't, and seeing her do so would upset your family. But you could also add that when she is grown up it will be her choice.

Then grab those turkey slices and pretend they are pork (expect flame "lying to your child"), just as one of my cousins had to tell his four year old that everything including sprouts was venison and I had to tell next doors 4 year old that roast lamb was burger.

If you make a mystery of it she will want it more.

Moominsarehippos Fri 22-Mar-13 13:51:20

Wait until the party bags start rolling in. Haribo contains pork gelatin doesn't it?

doughnut44 Mon 13-May-13 15:10:59

I know I am late in this conversation. I just wanted to know what you told your daughter op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now