Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Perimenopause advice needed

(308 Posts)
CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 30-Aug-09 23:23:05

I have been feeling like I am loosing my mind but after a bit of reading up realise I am in perimenopause cycle

i am 42 and had my last child 22 months ago.I have always had periods every 28 days that last 4 days bit last month and this they lasted 2 days

my mood has been awful,very stressed,anxious depressed (severe this month) and this month i have felt palpitations and dizzyness.I am over heating too

i am a bit worried as I have felt quite ill and i hate the mood swings as do my family

anyone in same position that can offer any advice?

Badders123 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:58:13

...and the brain fog is horrific 😖
Some days I can't finish sentences 😞

Badders123 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:57:21

Glad you have had a recent check!
I always think mid cycle bleeding is one if those annoying medical physical things that can be totally normal but can also be really bad

Badders123 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:55:48

Sorry, nope 😁
I'm currently in what I call "hell well" which is the 5 days prior to my period
DC on summer hols and we are taking them to an archeology day tomorrow 🙄
#Pray for me
😂

colouringinagain Tue 16-Aug-16 20:52:23

Thanks ladies wink

Smear test last month, all clear.

Not unusual symptom of peri I believe, but always worth checking.

Anyone have any tips for dealing with the RAGE?!

TentUpFirstBunkUpLater Tue 16-Aug-16 20:45:54

Its rubbish isn't it? I didn't put on weight, it kind of redistributed itself into a tyre. Then I had some personal and work stress and I think it was a combination of that and realising I could not hoover up piles of bread and pasta anymore.
flowers for you Badders

Badders123 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:35:33

I've put on a stone in the past year....sad

TentUpFirstBunkUpLater Tue 16-Aug-16 20:28:48

I've cut out plastic bread - eat crackers instead. I do eat meat and full fat everything except milk - I hate it so skimmed all the way for me. Not really sure if low carbing, but I am eating less and try to think about what/why I am eating. I have lost a stone over the last 18 months and the band of fat I had around my middle has gone. It started under my bust and went down to my waist
I have to accept that I need to eat less and fortunately for me by doing this the weight is staying off.
But I dream of bread and butter and cheese

ShebaQueen Tue 16-Aug-16 20:28:24

I know Badders, it's so tough! I was a complete carb monster before, with a massive sugar addiction and I don't think I'll ever be "cured". Low carbing definitely helped my menopause symptoms though and if it's any consolation I found that as time went on I could get away with being slightly less strict.

Badders123 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:20:49

Sheba...I felt better when I was low carbing but I find it soooo hard 😞

TentUpFirstBunkUpLater Tue 16-Aug-16 20:17:45

Thanks Badders its hard to explain but I don't want to kick them out or move them like I'm running. It probably is restless legs, but not how I imagine it to be

ShebaQueen Tue 16-Aug-16 20:09:20

I'm early fifties and have come out of menopause in the last 6 months. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but this is what worked for me:
Low carb diet
Exercise - I am definitely not a gym bunny but I started walking every day
Loads of green leafy veg and lots of water and herbal tea, couldn't give up coffee completely but managed to cut down
Going to bed earlier and getting up at the same time every day, plus earplugs and an eye mask (I was so sensitive to light and sound)
Notepad and pen by bed to write down and "file" my worries (I'd never previously suffered from anxiety)
Lukewarm showers morning and night plus Mitchum deodorant and thin layers of clothing so that I can add or remove as necessary
Superdrug Vitamin E hot cloth cleanser and Eucerin moisturisers (face and body)

Badders123 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:00:00

Like restless legs?
I think that's quite common?
I get horrific itching...it's like insects under my skin

TentUpFirstBunkUpLater Tue 16-Aug-16 19:46:45

Does anyone get stabbing pains in their legs? It feels a bit like lots of little needles. I have to stretch my legs and then it stops. I mainly get it at night in bed, but sometimes during the day and if I am standing I kind of feel a bit weak.
Then I have word with myself and stand up straight and just move on. I seem to spend a lot of time having a word with myself and just trying to get over it.

Badders123 Mon 15-Aug-16 20:09:56

Thank you polly.
Op...I found menopace plus helped with the flushes but I was also dx as vit d deficient by bloods...have you had that test?
I'm def in peri...blood tests confirm it and I have had some really awful symptoms...
Diarrhoea
Palpitations (in fact I think my peri started with a severe episode of atrial fibrillation)
Itchiness!
They are all peri symptoms but are more unusual
They all suck sad

PollyPerky Mon 15-Aug-16 20:03:42

Apologies Badders. I agree it needs discussion with a dr but I was trying to reassure the poster that it's most likely not serious, considering she is not post-menopausal.

WildRoses Mon 15-Aug-16 20:03:09

Going back to the main topic, perimenopause. I've had some spotting today and the evil (want to kill someone) rages. Last period was 2 wks ago. Full on heavy, 5 day period. One before that was the same 3 wks before. They are the worst they've ever been and my moods are horrendous. I hate myself at the minute and feel like walking out the door and leaving my family to it as I think they'd be much happier without me. (Not in the suicidal way!) My dss has just come back after a week with his mum and has just been downright rude and nasty to me for 2 days now, so that's not helping. He lives with us and his mum spoils him in every way when she has him. I need to find a wall to bash my head off!

Badders123 Mon 15-Aug-16 19:33:11

I didn't day YOU dismissed it.
I said I was worried the op did!

Badders123 Mon 15-Aug-16 19:32:21

I haven't been bitchy polly.
I think you are confusing me with another poster?
As we have BOTH said ANY mid cycle bleeding needs investigating.
Please don't accuse me of saying things I did not say.

PollyPerky Mon 15-Aug-16 19:21:16

Ok- thanks for the bitching. Hope you all feel better having got that off your chests. Totally uncalled for, but there you go.

Badders I didn't dismiss it. Read the post- I said go to the GP. I also said that I have known women having exactly the same symptoms (as did I many years ago) and what their GPs said/ treated them with.

Bleeding POST menopause is investigated quickly- bleeding before menopause may be investigated but it depends on lots of other factors.

There is simply no point having any 'medical' forums on MNet if the only 'advice' is 'see your GP'. What's the point someone asking a question if that's the stock answer?

pinkieandperkie Mon 15-Aug-16 18:10:54

I have pretty much every peri menopausal symptom going but never experienced mid cycle spotting. Chronic flooding yes!

Badders123 Mon 15-Aug-16 18:06:57

Well I agree polly is very knowledgable about peri but the NHS states that ANY mid cycle bleeding should be investigated, esp in the menopausal.
It concerns me the op is dismissing it as just another symptom of peri.

lljkk Mon 15-Aug-16 18:01:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nellyphants Mon 15-Aug-16 17:51:23

Polly perky is v knowledgable though. No harm to go to doc too

Badders123 Mon 15-Aug-16 17:47:06

I think the op needs to discuss this with her gp, not random strangers 😊

PollyPerky Mon 15-Aug-16 17:42:45

'fraid it is Badders. It usually happens due to low progesterone in the 2nd half of a cycle. It often starts like this then further into peri it can be ongoing spotting- people I know who had this were prescribed progesterone tablets (like the mini pill) .

I do agree that a trip to the GP might be wise just to check, but in women on the 'fertile side' of menopause, if smears are up to date any odd bleeding is usually hormonal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now