Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Perimenopause advice needed

(267 Posts)
CHOCOLATEPEANUT Sun 30-Aug-09 23:23:05

I have been feeling like I am loosing my mind but after a bit of reading up realise I am in perimenopause cycle

i am 42 and had my last child 22 months ago.I have always had periods every 28 days that last 4 days bit last month and this they lasted 2 days

my mood has been awful,very stressed,anxious depressed (severe this month) and this month i have felt palpitations and dizzyness.I am over heating too

i am a bit worried as I have felt quite ill and i hate the mood swings as do my family

anyone in same position that can offer any advice?

Horsemad Sat 09-Feb-13 20:10:43

Same Supermim! Didn't want to risk tranexamic acid so use ibuprofen now and it definitely helps smile

Janet333 Sat 09-Mar-13 13:35:33

Thank god I am not alone!!
I am 48 & think I have been on the peri-menopausal slide now for 5 years?....after being told at a breast exam that I must be as my boobs have that many cysts in them they look like "gouda cheese"!!...before that I just thought I was loosing my mind, body & soul!!! The symptoms causing me the most problems at present are - anxiety / panic attacks - along with heart palpitations / total lack of libido / roller coaster mood swings / tearfulness (I was crying at tv adverts)!! - & forgetfullness, along with a few aches, pains...a frozen shoulder!!?? Oh what joy!!!
I am managing the symptoms better now though as I take - ST. JOHNS WORT, it has been FABULOUS & my saving grace in lifting my mood....apparently it works by enabling the brain to hold onto seratonin (the happy feeling) for longer??....before that at times I actually felt so low I thought I was suicidal??...like some of you my GP offered me anti-depressants (booooo!!), despite me saying there was a distinct hormonal pattern to my mood changes??!!
For my hot flushes (I was beginning to resemble a traffic light)!!....I take BLACK COHOSH!! - I have NONE now at all during the day....I still feel a little hot at night at times, but NO sweating!!
I take OIL OF EVENING PRIMROSE for breast tenderness & general PMT, & after reading your posts may try AGNUS CASTUS to balance out my moods - especially the dramatic changes at times???? My periods are becoming more frequent - now every 25 days, & heavier too??
Overall, I cannot believe it is, in this day & age - the responsibility of women to seek & solve such massive side-affects of a stage in life that can affect approximately 50% of the population!! Thankfully, sites like this exist!! Good luck!! smile

Meglet Sat 09-Mar-13 15:24:30

Lots of similar symptoms here. Except the missing periods as I had a hysterectomy 4yrs ago (still got ovaries), but it means I have no way to keep tabs on my hormones.

I've been getting palpitations at night for a few months. Last week I was up to 2am and roasting one night, at the time I was starting to think it was a heart attack. Spots have flared up in the last 2yrs etc.

Today I was so angry mum took the kids to her house as I was just shouting all the time sad. Maybe I'm not a crap mum and it is the peri-menopause.

Meglet Sat 09-Mar-13 21:48:41

And the sweating; I actually went on a mission last week for a new loose, cotton sweater as I'd noticed feeling sweatier in the day time.

ssd Fri 15-Mar-13 19:28:05

interesting thread

Meglet Mon 18-Mar-13 21:11:53

Breast pain too, enough to feel like it's those first tender days when your milk comes in. I've taken to wearing my comfy maternity bra to support them, my boobs are (lets be honest) compact so no real weight to cause a problem. Bloody hell they hurt more often these days.

I need to keep a diary of all the symptoms don't I. <<sigh>>

Menofrantic Mon 08-Apr-13 21:20:02

Hi , Can completely relate to what you are going through .
I have felt the same feelings for far too long .
Its the moods and depressive state that bothers me so much .
I feel I cannot get thru a normal days duties without angst .
I have completely lost confidence and self esteem .
The person I have become is a stranger to the confident person I used to be .
Brain fog too and night Sweats
I have been taking elleste Duet 2mg for about 3 weeks now , started off ok on the oestrogen helped the mood but made the boobs swell and tender.
Now on the progesterone and moods back .
Am at my wits end , has anyone else had a bumpy start taking this HRT , thing is am now in a dilemma as to continue .sad .

faithlove Thu 18-Apr-13 17:02:26

started perim at age 43, now 44. my bp went up,palpitations, got ecg, tmt done, as told by cardiologist. then that followed by all other tests like thyroid, blood, kidney function test, liver function test, but no help. everything was normal. my bp fluctuates too much sometimes within 10/15 min it jumps from, 150/100 to 125/85 then i feel exhausted. the medicines which used to control my bp last year does not work now. it fluctuates between, 160/100 to 125/80, all thru the day. doing a lot of exercises. mood swings, anxiety, itching bloating, feeling of something stuck in my throat, etc. when i take menopace in the evening , bp comes to normal. docs, even my old gyn and gp, does not belive that it helps to lower my bp. till now no doc is able to say or do anything. i have polycystic overies.
gradually, i am starting to belive that the docs really dont know anything but throw darts in the dark. my periods, come early now(a week) and by second or 3rd day everything is over with excessive bleeding. sometimes twice a month. learnt so much from all of u.thank god i am not going crazy, as i had been prescribed, anti dep and anti anx. didnt take any.
meditation helps.

l4k Wed 24-Apr-13 16:38:01

Hi meglet, I'm in the same boat. Blood tests confirmed I'm perimemopausal but I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago so it's hard to track cycle( or lack if it).
I've only just turned 40 and do feel a bit sad its come so early.
My symptoms are ;
Sore aching joints
Insomnia
Brain fog/ crap memory
Drying up!!!
Low libido.
Does anyone know how we will be pronounced "menopausal " when we no longer have periods to miss?

meglet Wed 08-May-13 22:16:41

<<hugs l4k>> We can guesstimate this thing together smile.

It's a nightmare isn't it. I have a vague idea of the ebb and flow of my hormones based on when I'm feeling stabby but not bleeding every month makes it impossible to judge what stage everything is at.

The brain fog is awful some days. I don't usually forget a thing but I feel a bit out of my depth now as I can't even remember to make a list, let alone stick to one.

Can I join this crap club?
14k your list sums me up completely sad

I'm off to see my GP shortly to see what they can suggest. I had my blood test results last week (FSH 81.4) and at the age of 47 I can honestly say that I feel decades older when I creak out of bed in the mornings. I've had menopause symptoms since I was 41 but only now do they link up. Been taking Depo Provera to suppress ovulation as treatment/management of endometriosis. Last jab was in September but still no sign of a period although a couple of what felt like being stabbed all day ovulation pains.
I've been taking vitamins and minerals and have recently added glucosamine to my pill pile with a little success- marginally less stiff...

Much sympathy to those of you going through this.

Iellis Wed 15-May-13 14:13:57

Hi folks, need some advice on menapause, at docs today, full bloods done but she seemed concerned that I have lost weight, is this normal during perimenapause, my breasts have diminished, pain in shoulders no real appetite, anxious and unable to sleep, last period was very heavy, flooding are these normal signs or should I be worried it maybe something else. Thanks

Awks Wed 15-May-13 14:16:52

The weight loss could be down to anxiety and that definitely is a symptom as are the rest. How old are you?

Iellis Wed 15-May-13 14:20:20

Hi I'm 47 next birthday, also have slight sweats at night thanks

Iellis Wed 15-May-13 14:29:16

Should say weight loss is not excessive, went down a size in clothes over the last 6months, people usually notice it in my legs and stomach, just wish I knew it was definatly menopause, it's causing me so much anxiety and quite depressed and tired too.

An update.
GP I saw was awful, initially told me I was too young for menopause, dismissed my concerns and only agreed to blood tests after I burst into tears sadangry. Said my endometriosis history meant he wouldn't give me HRT.
Went back and saw a much nicer female doc, most test results ok, vit D on low end of normal, cholesterol slightly up, inflammatory markers high so have repeated that test.
Had my endometriosis clinic appointment yesterday and they agree menopause seems to be finished. Have started HRT patches today, praying they will give me my life back!

Iellis depression can make you lose weight, your general symptoms sound very typical. Did the doc test for your FSH levels?

Iellis Fri 24-May-13 16:17:32

Doc did full bloods, found out today iron levels very low, normal range between 7-120, mine is only 11, she gave me iron supplement,also have had another period just 16 days after last one, not quite as heavy but lots of clots, back at doc next month for smear and internal exam.

supergabs Mon 27-May-13 19:13:37

I'm thinking I might be peri-menopausal.

I am 52 and have just come off the progesterone only pill. The first period I had seemed to be fairly normal until on day 4 I was stood in Staples looking for parcel tape when I had a weird sensation, a bit like when your waters go in labour, and suddenly blood was running down my legs. So humiliating. Now awaiting my next period with trepidation.

My nipples have been tingling like mad for the last few days and I have been very tired. My memory has always been rubbish but seems even worse nowadays. My concentration is rubbish and my cognitive processing time is becoming an issue.

Today, whilst out walking the dogs, I was so tired my eyes kept closing, I started weaving and staggering and then my legs kept giving way, although I didn't fall, thank goodness. I have been useless all day, just sitting or lying on the settee.

Anybody else have similar symptoms? Being ever so slightly hypochondriac grin I initially self-diagnosed MS but am thinking peri-menopause is more likely

Angelarose Fri 31-May-13 07:38:37

Hi everyone, I am 51 and my periods are about one every 3 months now but I am paying for it with horrendous hot flushes in the day and night sweats, no other really bad symptoms. I dont want to go on HRT but wondered if anyone had found anything that works well for hot flushes as I am getting desperate sad

bella65 Fri 31-May-13 09:18:22

What are your reasons for not wanting HRT? If it's the risks that were reported 10 years ago, they have been shown to be flawed studies and the latest advice is that HRT is safe, the benefits outweigh the risk for women under 60, and there is no reason not to take it if it helps.

Studies show that nothing else is really effective and you can waste a huge amount of money trying stuff- it might work a little, but even products like black cohosh etc have been linked to health risks.

Am definitely feeling a lot more sane although I'm only on day 9 of HRT.

Not sure if it will fix everything, still have aching joints and sieve brain but at least my fanjo no longer feels like a crisp packet grin

MsBuzz Fri 31-May-13 23:10:18

New Natural Alternatives to HRT by Marilyn Glenville. Excellent book, easy to understand, and gives lots of information about why we get the symptoms, what is normal and what to do to relieve the symptoms.

meglet Fri 31-May-13 23:22:27

My sieve brain has got so bad I've started telling the DC's things I need to remember as soon as they come to mind - they're 6 and 4.

<Outside sainsburys>...."Mummy, you said we needed ketchup!".

teta Sat 01-Jun-13 10:26:34

I am on day 4 of HRT.I feel a bit better too.No aching joints[i do the gym a lot] but total sieve brain.Totally incapable of following a diet and actually losing weight due to sheer lack of motivation and disinterest in everything.I also do that Meglet-with 8 year old dd[the other 3 are pretty useless too].

bella65 Sun 02-Jun-13 10:23:45

Re. Marilyn Glenville- natural remedies can help some people- it's really just about eating well and exercising, maybe doing yoga, relaxation stuff, and possibly some supplements. But MG is NOT a dr or even a dietician- she's a self taught nutritionist, with a degree actually in psychology. Even following lots of healthy eating and living, some women do need HRT to replace estrogen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now