When did/do you feel homesick, if ever?

(56 Posts)

I live in the Caribbean.
For once, it's cold, grey, windy.
I love the weather like this; just for one day I can walk in fresh cool air, without bugs, humidity,sun lotion, sun glasses, red blotchy cheeks, sweat pooling in my bra.I can leave the house and feel like I can breathe.
I can sit in the porch in a hoody.
I miss the seasons, my home city of London, my friends, my family so so much.
I have been here two years. I moved when my son was 12 weeks old.
I wonder if I will ever feel like I like it here.
I get on with it but on days like today it's all I can do not to weep with homesickness.
Do you get homesick?
Did it pass? Does it get better/come in waves/get triggered by certain things?

Thumbwitch Fri 10-May-13 04:00:55

xpost - waves to Tante! All clear in your neck of the woods now, is it? no more fall out or projected problems?

Mirai - are you in Japan as well? I do recommend meeting up - seeing other expats in Sydney has really improved my outlook here, as well as being useful for fact-finding on things like maternity care!

mirai Fri 10-May-13 04:03:33

Ok Tante I agree! Come and find me on the other thread I don't want to carry on moaning here!

Big love going to thumb too, I know exactly what you meant about the jubilee and t'olympics!

pofacedlemonsucker Fri 10-May-13 04:14:09

I sobbed my way through the Olympics opening ceremony.

Other than that, I'm not too bad. Weirdly , I mostly miss crappy British beach holidays and mooching in the woods with the dogs. This is mostly weird because I live in the Canadian Rockies, and there are plenty of woods to mooch in. I'm always on the lookout for wild stuff with teeth and claws though - it's just not possible to let the dogs run off and explore for fear of what they will bring back with them... It makes it a less relaxing affair!

Salbertina Fri 10-May-13 04:33:06

Pofaced- with you on the sobbing there! Ditto the scary woods (scrubland, even back garden!) - sometimes turfing kids out to play Ii am a Little nervous due to resident snakes & scorpions, yes, takes the edge off rather...

Miss sweet smell freshly cut grass! Culture, indian food, public transport, bring able to walk freely, feeling safe

WhataSook Fri 10-May-13 21:36:41

I got proper homesick once DD was born, being in the UK and no one to share her with.

I get it a little bad at Christmas time too when it should be warm and instead its bloody cold and miserable...still. grin

Makingmama Sat 11-May-13 17:21:36

I've only been away from the Uk (in Dubai) since Dec and I'be been very homesick since arriving. I miss my friends and social life a lot, going to Ikea helps as it feels like being back in the UK lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now