Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Paternity test - can the mother be compelled to allow DNA test?

(102 Posts)
BerylStreep Wed 10-Oct-12 19:46:23

Just what the title says really.

Have a friend with a young baby. Boyfriend wanted nothing to do with my friend once he found out she was pregnant. Claimed he didn't think the baby was his.

He is not on the birth certificate, has never met the baby (doesn't even know the name), but has now made contact saying he wants parental responsibility.

The guy is violent, with mh problems, and my friend wants nothing to do with him, let alone letting him access to the baby.

My question is, can she be forced to submit the baby to a paternity test?

xmasevebundle Sun 14-Oct-12 19:55:07

If i was her...

Id say i slept with another man around the time, either way hes going to get a DNA.

He has to get the DNA then get PR then a Contact Order(which i doubt because he sounds a twat)

Having PR does NOT GIVE him rights to have contact with the child.

PR is only saying e.g what schools.

tripleandco Mon 15-Oct-12 12:22:26

It's true that having PR or his name on the bc wouldn't give the father rights to have contact with the child. But generally courts consider it best for the child to have contact with both natural parents, even in cases where the parent has mh problems or convictions for violent crimes. Courts rarely agree to no contact at all.

Contact could take place in a supervised environment. With no contact any risk of harm children suffer has to weighed against the harm they suffer if they lose a relationship with one natural parent altogether. Psychiatrists and psychologists consistently tell the family courts that children who are insecure about their natural parentage tend to grow up with low self esteem, leading to behavioural and emotional problems in later life such as dysfunctional relationships in adulthood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now