grandparent new laws

(132 Posts)
ednamode Wed 20-Jan-10 08:48:12

Hi

Really worried. I have deliberately cut myself away from family to get my life together as they were dragging us down with their disgusting attitude. and I have managed after years of pain to get our lives on track. Now I hear that this stupid government wants to give grandparents automatic rights to see their grandchildren, this is not a good thing for everyone infact for some of us it will cause real issues. What action can i take. and please no "well may be things have changed" answers i am not in the ball park for platitudes, this is serious.

many thanks

LadyMaryChristmas Fri 28-Dec-12 01:22:55

Hi Littlemissexcited5. This is a very old thread so may not get any replies and I don't want you to think that no one cares. If you want to start a new thread then I'm sure that mumsnetters will be able to hold your hand or guide you in the right direction. smile

LittleBairn Fri 28-Dec-12 01:29:04

I honestly wouldn't worry to much, it's completely unenforceable courts can barely get parental orders to be kept do you really think they will take your children or send you to prision because you ignore a grandparent contact order?

Anyway I don't believe this law was ever passed, there is no legislation in which they can take you to court hence they are talking bull.

LadyMaryChristmas Fri 28-Dec-12 01:31:38

It's an old thread, LittleBairn. smile

LittleBairn Fri 28-Dec-12 01:40:03

Yes it is but with a recent post with a concerned parent relating to that issue hence my post.

LadyMaryChristmas Fri 28-Dec-12 01:45:17

I do know of a case where the grandparents were given access to their grandchild against the wishes of the parents, so it's not right to say that this never happens. The poster has now started a thread.

MollyMurphy Fri 28-Dec-12 02:26:45

my partner and I had sex, conceived a child, raise that child day in and day out, pay for all that child's needs etc etc.....I am not seeing another persons "right" to see that child if we, the parents and providers, feel its not in their best interest. Inappropriately interfering of the state IMO.

if there's is child abuse or some such - let family apply for guardianship them custody where all sides can be heard.

MollyMurphy Fri 28-Dec-12 02:54:44

We as parents have all the responsibilities but the state can jump in and tell some other set of adults "here are your rights" with none of the responsibilities attached hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now