Gwyneth Paltrow and avoiding carbs for kids - what do you think?

(536 Posts)
JaneGMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Mar-13 13:49:10

Hi,

You may have read news stories today about Gwynneth Paltrow avoiding carbs for the whole family, including her children aged eight and six:

"Sometimes when my family is not eating pasta, bread or processed grains like white rice, we're left with that specific hunger that comes with avoiding carbs."

We'd be interested to hear what you think about this story.

Does your own diet influence the way you feed your children?

Thanks,

MNHQ

Labootin Wed 13-Mar-13 13:53:14

I know I'm meant to hate her but I actually think she's rather barkingly fabulous.

Labootin Wed 13-Mar-13 13:56:42

And no to the question .. My diet is awful, my children's diet is excellent.

Labootin Wed 13-Mar-13 13:59:35

Thinking further on my delightful stream of consciousness A cod psychologist would probably say that due to my food issues that's the reason I make sure they have a proper balanced diet so they don't get my food hang ups in the future but who knows...

dothraki Wed 13-Mar-13 13:59:49

A slow day at HQ Jane ?
So she really wants her kids to feel hungry hmm
Is this so they can empathise with poor children ?
Or is she low on publicity this week smile

I think she is a smug unbearable twat who bases her diet on whatever fad is fashionable and who only last year was bragging about how she eats everything she wants

Oh and she can't act. Thank god she's given that up.

And no, my diet doesn't affect my DD's. Hers is much better blush

I doubt they're avoiding carbs entirely. It sounds like she's referring to processed carbs, which is a healthy way of living. From the quote given she is probably feeding them brown rice. I'll also bet they get plenty of carbs through fruit and vegetables.

No big deal.

I also quite like her too

JeanBillie Wed 13-Mar-13 14:03:50

I actually think she's right to think carefully about her kids' diet - and as adults, we know a carb overload can be dreadful.

But I'm not sure that children should feel 'that specific hunger' that we adults put ourselves through when dieting.

I think that kids should really be allowed to whizz around, fuelled by pasta, to their heart's content without thinking about dieting smile

Beamur Wed 13-Mar-13 14:04:23

I think without knowing exactly what she is feeding her kids it's hard to comment objectively - she may be avoiding feeding them simple carbs, like white rice etc but that doesn't mean they aren't getting more complex carbs from other foods - like sweet potatoes for example.
Also the comment about 'hunger' - does she mean her kids are actually hungry (which I doubt somehow) or simply craving those foods they don't get to have? Like wanting a nice piece of buttered toast when you're not actually hungry but just want it....
At home I've always made sure the kids eat well, but I've been less strict with myself, but our New Year 'resolution' has been for us all to eat more healthily and to talk about what that means too. So now DP and I are also leading by example - and I have to say, have both lost weight at the same time.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:06:49

Bonkers. Carbs are part of a normal healthy diet, especially for children who need energy to run around.

OKnotOK Wed 13-Mar-13 14:08:47

BunnyLebowski
Agreed.

Although, i do like her in the Ironman films...and Seven.

Also...GIVEMETHEMONEYLEBOWSKI! grin

badguider Wed 13-Mar-13 14:08:52

They're avoiding simple sugars and processed grains, not 'carbs' - in fact the cover of the book shows green vegetables.

Children will have to work hard to get enough energy from purely vegetables and protein but I can't see how it's harmful (not saying it's necessary either).

Some kids eat nothing but processed grains (toast, pasta etc) and I'm sure that's worse in terms of nutrient intake.

There wasn't all this nonsense about carbs when I was a child and there were no fat children then either. As filly has said, if you have active, healthy children, carbs are fine. Gwyneth will just project her neuroses on to her children, especially the daughter. Children should be children and not worrying about food. I want to like Gwyneth, I really do, but then I read this sort of thing and I go off the idea of liking her IYSWIM.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:11:52

I'd like to see my children's faces if I told them they can't have toast because I'm on a diet. Or DH for that matter. I can just about get them to eat 50/50 bread, wholewheat pasta, and still struggle with brown rice, they much prefer white.

Kyrptonite Wed 13-Mar-13 14:12:31

I love her because she gets to shag ironman and she may well have a point.

<pointless contribution>

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 13-Mar-13 14:14:21

WHAT? She's not giving her children carbs? No toast! No cakes! No biscuits! No pasta, rice, potatoes, chips, wedges, mash....?????

What on earth DO they eat, poor little buggers sad

Imagine going round theirs to play. It must be rubbish.

Fillyjonk75 Wed 13-Mar-13 14:14:37

I've never thought of Chris Martin as ironman but each to their own.

MoYerBoat Wed 13-Mar-13 14:14:58

"we're left with that specific hunger that comes with avoiding carbs"

it must be a laugh a minute in the Paltrow/Coldplay household ...

fishcalledwonder Wed 13-Mar-13 14:16:17

As someone who thinks constantly about food, losing a few pounds, diets, portion sizes etc. etc, my main aim is to make sure DD thinks food is just the fuel she needs to run around madly.

I want her to eat healthily, but not to think that eating the odd pizza or cake is a big deal. Assuming the quote given is accurate and GP really is denying her kids any carbs, I think to demonise a whole food group is insane and pushing an adult's food obsession onto children; exactly what I am determined to avoid.

'What on earth DO they eat, poor little buggers'

Fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, pulses, dairy

I doubt they're deprived kids

ChicHeroine Wed 13-Mar-13 14:16:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheRealFellatio Wed 13-Mar-13 14:16:46

If her children still get to eat fruit and starchy veg and pulses like sweetcorn, or lentils or then they are getting all the carbs they need and more, and they will be better off for not developing an over-reliance or even an addiction to wheat and processed sugar.

Kyrptonite Wed 13-Mar-13 14:16:55

Actual ironman. You know they've done it. Who could resist? Chris Martin is a bit weedy especially compared to Tony Stark.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 13-Mar-13 14:17:32

Lula of course they're not deprived. However they're missing all the fun food.

Kyrptonite Wed 13-Mar-13 14:17:38

Didn't Gwenyth only eat beige food for a while or am I thinking of Madonna?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now