Hilary Mantel makes a good point

(545 Posts)
juneau Tue 19-Feb-13 08:15:37

She shouldn't have said it, since it's bitchy and uncalled for (and I actually find HM rather odd, if I'm honest), but after a good couple of years in the media spotlight I struggle to think of one thing the Duchess of Cambridge thinks or believes in. She never gives an opinion, she barely speaks, she just looks pretty and smiles.

claig Germany Sat 23-Feb-13 16:31:50

They changed the term from "global warming" to "climate change" when teh figures revealed that there was no warming. Don't put anything past them; it's not a "just world" unfortunately.

pofacedplot Sat 23-Feb-13 16:42:55

claig both polar ice caps are melting. Sea levels are rising at unprecedented rates. The big 'reveal' will be in 50 years time when everyone has done nothing and our world is changed irrevocably and it will be too late to reverse what has happened.

claig Germany Sat 23-Feb-13 16:53:39

Don't believe the prophets of doom; there will be no religious apocalypse, no catastrophe. All will be revealed to be untrue, and future generations will look back and ask how did those 21st century humans, those good people will their belief in a 'just world' fall for such politricks.

pofacedplot Sat 23-Feb-13 16:58:33

well it is a bit like arguing with King Canute, but much more depressing.

Erm but people believing in global warming/climate change makes life more difficult for the powers that be. Unless you think windfarm owners have more clout than hugely powerful multinational manufacturing businesses.

I'm quite happy to believe in cover ups. But the evidence for climate change is pretty solid as far as I can see. Of course individual models will be shown to be wrong because no-one actually knows enough about the complex systems governing climate. I suspect it will get colder here if the gulf stream shifts - that doesn't mean predictions were wrong.

garlicbreeze Sat 23-Feb-13 18:19:53

I used to laugh uncontrollably at conspiracy theories. Unsurprisingly, I started seeing sense in them at the same time as I acknowledged the abuse pervading my own life. I don't have any definite views on how the global climate is changing, but I'm absolutely sure eco-business is a conspiracy, with its political incentives.

We've come quite a long way from Hilary & Kate!

garlicbreeze Sat 23-Feb-13 18:21:53

Jimjams, it's not about windfarm owners so much as control of energy supplies. Remember Enron?

Copthallresident Sat 23-Feb-13 18:27:20

So basically Kate in all her carefully contrived spindlyness and designer dresses is the new opium of the masses wink

I liked Hadley Freeman's comment on Dave's attempts to talk about anything but the real issues

"The last lot pissed me off by constantly flapping their mouths about X-Factor contestants and football and what rubbish they watched on TV, but Cameron has really raised this to an art form by releasing heartfelt, serious, official statements about any old bollocks that floats past his brain. Presumably the idea is to drown out the policy announcements. "It is time for FIFA to come down strongly on racism in their ranks. This X-Factor miming scandal attacks our very values as a nation. It is disgusting that Mrs Jones' cat should be deprived of a play to have a shit by the Smith's leylandii. All benefits for the disabled are being cut forever, the lying scum. Hilary Mantel's comments on the Duchess are completely reprehensible"

pofacedplot Sat 23-Feb-13 18:27:31

eco business is a conspiracy? conspired by whom? The government doesn't give a monkeys about alternative energies, except nuclear power. Oh Jesus.

claig Germany Sat 23-Feb-13 18:33:49

'Erm but people believing in global warming/climate change makes life more difficult for the powers that be. Unless you think windfarm owners have more clout than hugely powerful multinational manufacturing businesses.'

The powers that be do nothing that makes life more difficult for themselves. Never have, never will. From Prince Charles, to oil companies to politicians, nearly everyone bangs the climate change drum. Windfarm subsidies are just the icing on the cake for the rich, they are not what it is all for.

But let's return to Hilary and Kate.

Hm except energy suppliers and big business can all get a lot richer if we're not all trying to be eco warriors. There's also (unfortunately) rather a lot of evidence for climate change. Unfortunately some people (yes the Daily Mail & probably Jeremy Clarkson) think a cold winter means the ice caps can't possibly be melting. I think it's true that no-one knows what will happen - the systems are too complex to predict accurately, but I think it's unwise to not recognise that we are playing a dangerous game.

Copthall admirably staying on topic - yes like that comment about CallMeDave smile

claig Germany Sat 23-Feb-13 18:44:26

'So basically Kate in all her carefully contrived spindlyness and designer dresses is the new opium of the masses'

Royalty always has been the opium of the masses, which is why the image and control of photographs etc must be managed so tightly in order not to shatter the illusion and destroy the 'just world fallacy' of the masses.

claig Germany Sat 23-Feb-13 18:49:45

'Hm except energy suppliers and big business can all get a lot richer if we're not all trying to be eco warriors.'

Could they get away with increasing the public's energy bills by 10% year on year without so much as a murmur?

pofacedplot Sat 23-Feb-13 19:11:21

that is just an excuse - they blame a number of things. That doesn't mean global warming does not exist. That means those energy companies are unbearably greedy.

slipshodsibyl Sat 23-Feb-13 19:53:43

Energy companies need support from government in order to invest in alternative energy sources as the cost of R and D is huge. It doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

exoticfruits Sun 24-Feb-13 17:15:30

I read the whole article today and it would be pretty amazing that something could be so taken out of context, if it wasn't such a common occurrence. Hilary Mantel must be annoyed that it destroyed her entire meaning.

Fillyjonk75 Mon 25-Feb-13 18:37:24

I don't know if she's that bothered, exotic, she took a good few days to clarify matters - basked in the notoriety a bit first smile She's ace.

exoticfruits Mon 25-Feb-13 18:49:02

If she hadn't go the headlines then very few people would have read it. It was wonderful publicity for her!

Fillyjonk75 Mon 25-Feb-13 18:53:20

Yes. She just let the Daily Mail make massive twats of themselves first. Not hard.

exoticfruits Mon 25-Feb-13 19:25:08

I revised my opinion as soon as I read your post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now