Michael Le Vell charged with 19 child sex offences

(67 Posts)
EmmaDale Fri 15-Feb-13 00:11:03

If I remember correctly, he was questioned last year but I thought he wasn't going to be charged with any offences at all - clearly not.

scaevola Fri 15-Feb-13 18:36:39

I mean that some make no comment at all, or make a denial in straightforward language, rather than vigorously. Then again, perhaps I shouldn't read too much into it, as it might be down to publicist's advice as much as anything.

thunksheadontable Fri 15-Feb-13 21:31:01

Tepid, people have televisions, not just men!

I am pretty shocked too, even though I haven't watched Corrie regularly in years.

TepidCoffee Fri 15-Feb-13 21:34:47

I wasn't referring to telly owners, I was referring to pumpkinsweetie's comment about being surprised about what people we least expect being capable of. The perpetrators are overwhelmingly male. I take wewherehere's point, but still - overwhelmingly male.

You're wrong. "People" is correct. "overwhelmingly" is not the same as "all".

It's your kind of comment that makes people think MN hate men.

jesiii Sat 16-Feb-13 14:20:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

dotnet Sun 17-Feb-13 18:01:49

Every person convicted of interfering with children sexually, needs in depth psychiatric treatment, as well as punishment. It's an odd, odd and frightening compulsion - VERY frightening for parents to know that kiddy fiddlers are out there, but it's probably frightening for a lot of the offenders themselves to know that they are so deviant.
I think a lot of sex offenders just go to prison and don't get any treatment at all - do any MNers know if this is the case?

LadyDamerel Sun 17-Feb-13 19:12:59

Dotnet, I have a friend who is a criminal psychologist and she works with sex offenders who are in prison. Some of them are rapists, some are paedophiles but yes, they do get help in prison.

Animation Sun 17-Feb-13 19:40:44

'I mean that some make no comment at all, or make a denial in straightforward language, rather than vigorously.'

Yes I thought the same. Why the 'vigorously' word??

ClareisMee Mon 18-Feb-13 01:02:01

The thought of such a familiar character, indeed one who our DC recognise and would certanly choose to be with is very unsettling.

ComposHat Mon 18-Feb-13 01:13:52

The perpetrators are overwhelmingly male. I take wewherehere's point, but still - overwhelmingly male

From my time working for social services I can give you examples of children sexually abused by their own mothers, children involved in voodoo rituals by their mothers, children used to courier knives and drugs by their mothers, children pimped out by their mothers in exchange for booze.

So please put your soapbox away and stick to the matter in hand.

PootlePosyPerkin Mon 18-Feb-13 01:15:27

It is 19 charges relating to 1 potential victim is it not? I may be entirely naive but I am still hoping beyond hope that this is a case of false accusation.

If not, I will be the first to apologise to the lady & throw stones at the evil bastard. Still hope it's not true though :-(

ComposHat Mon 18-Feb-13 01:35:26

Just goes to show, the people we would least expect are capable of such horrid things

The world seems awash with sociopaths and child abusers, don't know which one has shocked me more, this one or the guy from lost prophets

No one has been convicted of anything.

We haven't heard one piece of evidence.

It is in extremely poor taste to assume they are guilty or to speculate about what they did or didn't do based on NO information. It is the same 'no smoke without fire mentality' and lack of critical thought - oh it is in the papers it must be true - that leads to vigilante mobs.

I hope in the interests of justice, that neither of you are ever called up for jury service.

BelindaCarlisle Mon 18-Feb-13 02:25:30

Sex offenders on short sentences get nothing

EldritchCleavage Mon 18-Feb-13 10:29:52

I agree, ComposHat.

These charges relate to the same allegations that came up against this actor before. The CPS decided then not to prosecute, that decision was reviewed and has now been reversed.

Why not reserve judgment until there has been a trial?

thezebrawearspurple Mon 18-Feb-13 20:21:45

No judgement should be made until the trial. It will be awful if it turns out that this man is innocent, there are few worse allegations to suffer. Even if he is innocent there will always people who believe that 'he got away with it', it's so wrong that a reputation can be forever publicly destroyed on the basis of yet unproven allegations. There should be anonymity for the accused as there is for the accuser.

ImperialBlether Wed 20-Feb-13 12:42:38

Oh god, who said "kiddy fiddlers"?

That is the most awful term.

I agree that no judgement should be made until the trial. A false accusation is dreadful. If he's guilty, it will come out.

howardhughes1972 Sat 09-Mar-13 15:48:58

"No one has been convicted of anything.

We haven't heard one piece of evidence.

It is in extremely poor taste to assume they are guilty or to speculate about what they did or didn't do based on NO information."

Not only poor taste, it's actually illegal to speculate on a sub judice matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now