Chris Huhne changes plea to guilty

(373 Posts)
NicholasTeakozy Mon 04-Feb-13 11:03:10

BBC link here. I reckon that's the end of his political career then.

QuickLookBusy Mon 04-Feb-13 17:41:36

Clam it is viewed as a very serious offence. I really think he will be jailed.

He'll have plenty of time and opportunity to think about what a twat he's been then.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 17:41:39

They were talking about six months to a year clam

noddyholder Mon 04-Feb-13 17:42:41

Surely it must be custodial? If not it would make it an attractive proposition for anyone in teh same situation

It'll be custodial, he only owned up today as he knew he wouldn't get away with it so he's trying to get a lighter sentence, but yep he's off to the slammer, where he belongs. No sympathy whatsoever.

hackmum Mon 04-Feb-13 17:47:20

The papers are saying it will be custodial.

I think he was an arse to get his wife to take the points, and then an arse to pretend that he hadn't. She was vindictive - and foolish - to go public with it. If she is found guilty, then I imagine she risks a jail sentence too. I suppose we will have to wait to hear what this supposed "marital coercion" actually involved.

Despite my thinking he's an arse, I do feel a bit sorry for him reading those texts from his son. Being estranged from your kids like that must be the worst feeling.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 17:53:04

I'm not defending him. I know nothing about him. My instinct is to think he's an arrogant arse but I don't know.

That's why we have impartial judges and evidence and mitigating circumstances. I think that's a good thing.

Chris Huhne will get what's coming to him and his former wife will too, depending on the outcome of her trial for the same charge.

clam Mon 04-Feb-13 17:57:27

His son is presumably old enough to form his own opinons of his father. Those texts were clear enough. If Huhne finds hiimself estranged from his children, it seems to me that he has only himself to blame.

I find myself wondering if he is the embodiment of all the twattish exes we've heard about on here?

NicholasTeakozy Mon 04-Feb-13 18:01:51

He's displayed arrogance all the way through. The text exchanges between his son and him are cringe inducing.

SpringyReframed Mon 04-Feb-13 18:11:22

Clam I am certain he is. Those texts actually read like exchanges between my stbx and sons to the extent that I was open mouthed.

squeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 18:16:53

I'm not quite sure why all the texts are being published. I now they were part of the prosecution case but surely the only pertinent ones are the "shall I tell the police what you told me" and "we know you did it" etc. It's horrible reading the other ones. What a terrible mess.

Also would the media have been allowed to publish them if his son was under 18, does anyone know?

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 18:30:37

It doesn't seem fair on Peter Huhne. Maybe the judge was fed up with Chris Huhne and Peter Huhne got hurt in the crossfire. Or maybe he's not feeling that much more hurt now that people know what he thinks. Who knows?

CarlingBlackMabel Mon 04-Feb-13 18:42:56

Peter Huhne and / or his mother must have made his texts available to the prosecution. CH's legal team were trying to get it thrown out for lack of evidence. The prosecution would have had to show the judge / court some of the evidence they had. If the trial had gone ahead, the texts would have come out anyway.

"Having taken responsibility for something that happened 10 years ago, the only proper course of action for me is to resign my Eastleigh seat in Parliament," Hahahahah - 'something that happened 10 years ago' - trying to make it sound petty - and what about the 'somthing' that happened in 2011 and has been happening ever since? The lying to the police, your constituents, the courts, your party, your government???? Not taking responsibility for that?

He must be suffereing from some sort of delusional disorder.

And now his wife's trial will go ahead tomorrow.

Silly woman. (for agreeing to say she was driving).

So many MN-ers say they would do this on threads. hmm

clam Mon 04-Feb-13 18:47:21

"something that happened 10 years ago."

Erm, you mean, that crime you committed. angry

Zavi Mon 04-Feb-13 19:07:25

This whole sorry tale is so similar to that other, now "disgraced" MP (can't think of his name now) who got his daughter to lie under oath for him. He got sent to the slammer and became a born again christian whilst in there.

He too was sooooooo arrogant.

Admitted absolutely nothing until his back was right to the wall and only then came clean.

CH's son, Peter's anger is completely understandable under the circumstances. How can he respect his father after his behaviour. Not just in his deceit towards his speeding fine, but in his later deceit towards his wife, Peter's mother.

The son's plaintive cries of "how do I know this is the truth or a lie" is pitiful - and a measure of the breakdown of trust between them.

It is often said, when politician's affairs are "outed" - oh, it's a private matter. But I always think "well, it's a measure of the person really isn't it. If they can deceive their nearest and dearest how much easier to deceive the electorate..."

I'm delighted at what's happened to this duplicitous, arrogant toad, Chris Hume.

I do feel so sorry for his poor, poor son though.

No doubt Vicky Pryce will be celebrating tonight!

What a result for the "scorned" wife hey?

clam Mon 04-Feb-13 19:12:23

Celebrating? She's in court tomorrow herself!
But worth it, I would say, as it's wiped the smile off the smug bastard's face.

CarlingBlackMabel Mon 04-Feb-13 19:16:48

No doubt Vicky Pryce will be celebrating tonight!

Unlikely, as her trial continues tomorrow. Chris Huhne's admittance of guilt in being the driver is presumably the strongest evidence that she is guilty of perverting the course of justice.

Hard to see how a woman with a powerful career in top financial institutions could be too easily intimidated by her husband's 'co-ercion'. But maybe she will convince us, and more importantly the courts.

AnyFucker Mon 04-Feb-13 19:24:51

I think Vicky Pryce will have a very interesting defence. Whether people actually believe it or not is another matter.

I tend to think it doesn't matter how powerful and together a woman is in her own right, they can still fall prey to manipulation and cunning.

Then again, she could be just as bad as her exH. Who knows ?

Zavi Mon 04-Feb-13 19:27:34

I've got a feeling she may get off.

Her son's text evidence - saying that he "forced her" is pretty compelling...

Also, don't forget: this is a man who, evidently, strives very, very hard to get the dice to stack up in exactly the way he wants them too.

Look at how he has deceived his wife, his son, his party leader, the electorate, his own solicitor...

I hope she gets off. It was CH's actions that started this whole shaboodle off, not hers. She's been through enough.

Plus it sounds like her family (notably her son) needs her...

herewegoloubylou Mon 04-Feb-13 19:32:12

Jonathan Aitken - imprisoned MP, became a Christian, redeemed self. Successful book and TV career. hmm

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:43:00

But even if someone forced you, you still did it. It's what you say it in mitigation. Not that she's said that. She's pleading not guilty, though her son's texts are a bit of a bugger.

That may show that the judge is fed up with the pair of them. It will be interesting.

clam Mon 04-Feb-13 19:43:39

And how many women do we see on here, suffering DV, EA and so on, who say noone in their real life would believe it as they have successful careers and are assertive go-getters outside the home?

clam Mon 04-Feb-13 19:44:42

She's not pleading "not guilty" as in "I didn't do it," but not guilty as in she was co-erced so it's not as simple as that.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:49:21

Not guilty means: 'I didn't do it.'

'I was forced to do it,' means: 'I did do it, but this is why.'

As I said, atm she's pleading not guilty and any crime is alleged.

She might decide to stick with it. She might decide to change. That's her prerogative. Doesn't mean to say I don't agree with whatever she decided or decides to do. But that's the reality of the plea.

claig Mon 04-Feb-13 20:02:21

I like his wife and I feel sorry for the whole family and also for him.
A small thing which could have been solved with just 3 points or so at one time has escalated to all of this due to his mistake. It is a tragedy. But it is a lesson that perverting the course of justice is a serious matter, even though many people do not understand the implications when seemingly small infractions have been committed.

I think he has now done the honourable thing and admitted guilt. It is late, but better late than never. I think he has accepted his responsibilities and I hope that his wife will be exonerated.

I hope that the family split can be healed in the future now that events have sunk so low. After such a low fall, the only way is up.

I hope he can rebuild some sort of a career even in politics, but it will be very hard. I think humility and honesty will help.

AnyFucker Mon 04-Feb-13 20:10:42

it wasn't just 3 points, claig

it was cumulative, bringing him up to 12 points, meaning loss of his driving licence

not excusing him at all, though

he "accepted his responsibilities" because he was forced to, no more and no less

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now