Indian rape victim has died

(67 Posts)
xkittyx Fri 28-Dec-12 22:30:20

Sadly just seen on Al Jazeera that the poor woman who was raped and assaulted earlier in December has died.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 04-Jan-13 10:02:35

I have not suggested that victims should be blamed and hope my remarks have not been interpreted that way. Culpability rests entirely with the offender. All I am suggesting is that (conversely) women who make choices about (for example) how to dress should not be criticised either - often there seems to be an implication that they are propping up the status quo and that seems to me to be criticism under another guise.. Xkittyx makes some good points about how limited the choices about self protection can be, in any case.

2rebecca Fri 04-Jan-13 12:58:10

Very sad case, I think the reason few women are commenting on it is that there is no real argument to be had here. it was a horrible crime and the murderers deserve a very unpleasant punishment. I read somewhere that after she got thrown off the bus it took 40 minutes before anyone called police or ambulance despite it being a crowded area. That is awful as well.

Meglet Fri 04-Jan-13 22:40:11

I've found a couple of Tweeters who are based in India and been following them and their links. It's so horrific I suppose I'm just waiting with baited breath and hoping the attackers are locked up for life.

I too am torn between feeling that nobody should put themselves in harm's way by avoiding 'risky' behaviour/dress/areas and at the same time feeling v strongly that the length of your skirt or where you are when does NOT give anybody the right to attack.

I am currently trying to teach my 4 year old DS3 that he can only kiss people who want to be kissed - he is currently using kisses to really, really annoy his older brother grin. The phrase 'You may only kiss somebody who wants to be kissed' is heard several times a day in this house at present. I can only hope that this will count as a first lession to not force himself on anybody ever...

2rebecca Fri 04-Jan-13 23:04:45

Anyone else noticed she has had a career change over the past week? When I first heard about this case she was described as a physio student, the first one in her family to go to college and now she is being described as a medical student. Seems very odd, what does it matter how middle class her future career was?

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 04-Jan-13 23:24:40

I agree, PacificDogwood, that nothing - skirt length, being out late at night or anything else - gives anyone the right to attack another person. But the difficulty (as I see it) is that some people act in a way to which they have no right.

rhondajean Fri 04-Jan-13 23:36:19

Ill apologis first as I know little of Indian law Erc but I read a disturbing comment earlier on an Indian news site. The latest that has come out us that the youngest attacker was most vicious. It's been widely reported today he disembowelled the girl with his hands. They are using a bone test to identify his age and whether he is tried as an adult it a juvenile.

This comment suggested they may try to vary him as the killer and a juvenile meaning he gets four years detention and the other men be tried on reduced charges. I realise there dies seem to be an issue with corruption in the police and courts but surely that couldn't happen?

rhondajean Fri 04-Jan-13 23:37:00

Sorry typing on my phone is awful!

that nothing - skirt length, being out late at night or anything else - gives anyone the right to attack another person. But the difficulty (as I see it) is that some people act in a way to which they have no right.

Exactly that. No matter what you wear or where you are a rapist is a rapist. People seem to side with the rapist tbh. That's my personal experience anyway.

I hope these men suffer.

reallylittlelass Sun 06-Jan-13 13:29:58

www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/india-gang-rape-victims-father-1521289
Since I have heard of this story, I keep crying. What a shit world we live in sometimes. I hear murders and horrid stories all the time, so I don't know why this one has hit me so hard, everytime I hear or see an article on this, I start crying and feel really panicky, and seeing the dads face has made me so sad.

The men accused are in court today.

Everytime I think about what she and her friend must have gone through, my stomach turns.
Apart from the obvious feminist issue with any rape, what I cannot get my head around is any human being inflicting this kind of sustained suffering on any other human being. I couldn't hurt an animal deliberately. I just fail to comprehend this altogether.

And yes, the poor family. And all the families affected by rape and murder sad.

funnyperson Mon 07-Jan-13 14:39:39

It is not at all clear if the father gave permission to reveal the girl's name. Apparently he has since denied giving permission and the legal process to get court permission to reveal her name was not followed. Typical Daily Mail trying to get a 'scoop' at any cost. Other newspapers are not publishing the name

funnyperson Mon 07-Jan-13 14:41:11

I agree with posters above. This case is making me feel very uncomfortable.

Walnutcakelover Mon 07-Jan-13 16:11:34

This case has made me extremely sad, feel really devastated sad

funnyperson Tue 08-Jan-13 15:51:59

I'm very encouraged by the demonstration outside the Indian High Commission in London yesterday.
The legalities are v. interesting. India's police and prosecution and judiciary are on trial as much as the perpetrators. It will be interesting to see whether, even with a will to do so, the courts will be able to bring the criminals to book at all, following a fair trial, let alone impose a severe penalty. The perpetrators simply have to deny everything and/or blame it on the juvenile and they might have a reasonable chance of getting off.
As to the case of the juvenile perpetrator, this throws up an important anomaly in the Indian legal system which doesn't exist in the English system.

A guru has been quoted (in the Sun blush - sitting in the barber's waiting for my DS's hair to be cut...) as saying that this 'mistake' (sic) was as much the victim's fault as her attackers as she should have 'prayed' with them.
FFS.
Blame the victim. Not for the length of her skirt. Or the company she kept. Or her previous 'moral' record.
But her spirituality. I am speechless.

I do hope her family had actually given their consent to have her name published. It'd be awful if there suffering was increased by press intrusion when it had not been wanted.

I gather 2 of the accused are pleading Not Guilty to all charges?

funnyperson Wed 09-Jan-13 21:25:10

I dont think this will be an open and shut legal case. After all there are only two witnesses and they are the victims, one of whom is dead and the other didn't actually see all of what happened. Unless the 6 perpetrators have confessed.

Yes the guru has been outrageous. Sad, as there has been a silence from religious leaders on this front, perhaps because most of them are at a major religious festival atm. But Indians tend to take their cue from spiritual leaders- India is often called the 'veneration nation', with reason, so the silence is not a good thing for modern Indian women.
There was a lovely dressing down of the guru from a political leader Member of Parliament though
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/ravi-shankar-prasad-asaram-bapu-comment-india-delhi-gangrape-victim/1/241153.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now