Justin Lee Collins found guilty

(89 Posts)
FreudiansGoldSlipper Tue 09-Oct-12 14:40:11

just heard

good a man just hmm slapping his girlfriend, being verbally abuse is taken serioulsy sometimes

edam Wed 10-Oct-12 13:51:46

well said, Chaz.

If there is a defacto MN line (which I am yet to find) then perhaps its "when a person is convicted of abuse / domestic violence after due judicial process it is reasonable to assume that their victim was just that, a victim and that the abuser was just that, an abuser"

Animation Wed 10-Oct-12 13:18:06

"It gives me a glimmer of hope that attitudes to DV and abusive behaviour might be changing"

Me too. Evolution seems to be a slow progress on these kind matters - but gradually gradually things seem to be moving in the right direction.

The judge got it wrong with the 'out of character' quip but Rome wasn't made in a day. hmm

EmBOOsa Wed 10-Oct-12 13:16:35

The defacto MN line? Seriously, you think it's about that? How about some of us have been in the same situation as JLC's ex and are (understandably) pissed off that even with evidence and a guilty verdict, cunts like him still get painted as the victim of malicious liars? Why is it ok for a minority to say such hurtful and nasty things, but the majority of us are bullies when we call them on it?

CelineMcBean Wed 10-Oct-12 13:14:20

I'm prepared to listen to the outlandish statements about the victim and even entertain the idea that JLC might not be guilty if any one of you can show where a mistake was made in the case or judicial process.

Until such time as the prosecution or jury can be shown to have behaved inappropriately or unlawfully I think anyone blaming the victim or disputing the validity of the verdict should stay quiet. Otherwise I'm afraid I and several others will point out that you are being a prat. And some of you don't seem to be able to handle that although you're very quick to level much worse accusations at a proven victim of domestic violence.

dilys4trevor Wed 10-Oct-12 13:06:26

Well, it looks like Chipstick (and a couple of others who foolishly deviated from the defacto Mumsnet line) has wisely left the conversation anyway. I happen to agree with the consensus on here, rather than the alternative view, but I don't like the way some of the posters (not just Chaz) went about it, so I'll remove myself too. And you can all be joyously together in agreement.

EmBOOsa Wed 10-Oct-12 13:04:43

casey It seems so. You are also not allowed to get angry when someone accuses a victim of being malicious or lying (despite evidence to the contrary)

PrincessSymbian Wed 10-Oct-12 12:57:40

Seven...

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 12:52:20

Make that six.

CaseyShraeger Wed 10-Oct-12 12:49:07

But there are loads of posters on here. Is only the first person who comes across chipstick's "well, she made him do it" apologetics allowed to disagree? If everyone disagrees with her strongly, why can't we say so (yes, even as many as five of us) without being described as "mob-handed" or "piling in"?

edam Wed 10-Oct-12 12:44:38

Dowagers, I know how you feel, I go through that station every day and almost wish I'd been there to give him a shove...

dilys
Oh come on yourself.

You choose to disbelieve people rather than admit that you might just be wrong hmm

To paraphrase slightly
Glad I wasn't at school with you. I can only imagine what you were like back then.

I wonder who said something like that!

DowagersHump Wed 10-Oct-12 12:38:09

Christ, I'm glad I wasn't in St Albans yesterday. I suspect the temptation to have shoved him onto the tracks may have proved overwhelming

edam Wed 10-Oct-12 12:30:55

He was pictured in today's Times laughing and joking on St Albans station after the case ended. No doubt celebrating getting such a soft judge who let him off with community service.

dilys4trevor Wed 10-Oct-12 12:29:59

Oh come on.

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 10-Oct-12 12:28:26

A long time ago I worked in the entertainment industry. A very lovely and good friend of mine went apeshit at an employee that I had sent to the set. I was shock and couldn't understand it (I had known this man for a number of years and nothing like this had happened before). However I believed my employee.

It turned out that one of his old friends was in town at the time and they had been on a coke bender that weekend. So it would not surprise me that JLC was ok with his wife, but mental with his exGF if he was dabbling.

dilys
It was meant as EmBOOsa said. I couldn't think of a case involving a woman so assumed it was a mix up with Sion. If the poster had written Shaun or Sean instead of Sion I wouldn't have queried it because they are all variations on a male name whereas (as I am sure you know) Sian is a woman's name.

EmBOOsa Wed 10-Oct-12 12:14:22

Tbh I read the Sion/Sian thing as the poster genuinely asking if they meant Sion.

dilys4trevor Wed 10-Oct-12 12:11:15

Happy for people to disagree and I completely understand why you did disagree with that post on the wife, but I think women on here can get rather mob-handed about it, particularly around reading into what someone has said and pouncing on it, hinting that the person posting the comment is unenlightened/somehow an enemy of women everywhere. And then about 5 of you pile in.

But it gets really unedifying when people criticise others' use of punctuation/spelling because they don't agree with the sentiment (rather than focussing on what they have actually said). It hints that you think the poster is a bit thick and it's petty and silly. If you feel so strongly about these issues, you should stick to the issues.

EmBOOsa Wed 10-Oct-12 10:43:49

dilys Would you rather we said, "so you believe that despite there being enough evidence for the jury to find him guilty that he is innocent and the victim is a liar? It's your choice hun"?

ChooChooLaverne Wed 10-Oct-12 10:20:16

Brilliant that he was convicted.

Rubbish that he didn't get a proper sentence.

dilys
Women have such a problem being believed when they report domestic violence and abusive behaviour. Its really depressing when someone is convicted of abusive behaviour and even then posts appear that seem to suggest the victim is in some way responsible e.g. oh well he never did it before (subtext so what was it about the victim that made him do it this time).

So perhaps you need to grow up take a step back and look at why people are disagreeing with someone's viewpoint

I think this bbc article should be required reading for everyone
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19783496

CaseyShraeger Wed 10-Oct-12 10:00:05

The only way in which you could "manipulate" someone into saying the things he was recorded saying is by telling them it was a script you wanted them to read. And JLC didn't go with that defence - he said it was an argument and that "everyone has arguments".

A decent person wouldn't say the stuff he was recorded saying; the thought processes behind it just wouldn't occur to them. A man who not only thinks it, but says it and doesn't see the difference between that and an "argument" is an abusive tosser. Even if everything else were made up. Even if his XP had a degree in manipulation from Manipulation University. He condemned himself entirely out of his own mouth IMO.

dilys4trevor Wed 10-Oct-12 08:25:24

Re Chipstick, why does everyone on here have to round on the person who has a different view, and then not content with that, lay into them for their punctuation and spelling to boot? The Sian/Sion Jenkins thing - grow up.

Glad I wasn't at school with some of you lot. I can only imagine what you were like back then.

EmBOOsa Tue 09-Oct-12 19:26:00

There was a recording of him abusing her, and I assume other evidence that we haven't been privy to - enough that a jury found him guilty. And yet there are still fuckwits trying to cast doubt on the victim. For those people - you should be ashamed of yourselves sticking up for a vile bully and (convicted) abuser

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now