Justin Lee Collins found guilty

(89 Posts)
FreudiansGoldSlipper Tue 09-Oct-12 14:40:11

just heard

good a man just hmm slapping his girlfriend, being verbally abuse is taken serioulsy sometimes

edam Wed 10-Oct-12 12:30:55

He was pictured in today's Times laughing and joking on St Albans station after the case ended. No doubt celebrating getting such a soft judge who let him off with community service.

DowagersHump Wed 10-Oct-12 12:38:09

Christ, I'm glad I wasn't in St Albans yesterday. I suspect the temptation to have shoved him onto the tracks may have proved overwhelming

dilys
Oh come on yourself.

You choose to disbelieve people rather than admit that you might just be wrong hmm

To paraphrase slightly
Glad I wasn't at school with you. I can only imagine what you were like back then.

I wonder who said something like that!

edam Wed 10-Oct-12 12:44:38

Dowagers, I know how you feel, I go through that station every day and almost wish I'd been there to give him a shove...

CaseyShraeger Wed 10-Oct-12 12:49:07

But there are loads of posters on here. Is only the first person who comes across chipstick's "well, she made him do it" apologetics allowed to disagree? If everyone disagrees with her strongly, why can't we say so (yes, even as many as five of us) without being described as "mob-handed" or "piling in"?

UltraBOF Wed 10-Oct-12 12:52:20

Make that six.

PrincessSymbian Wed 10-Oct-12 12:57:40

Seven...

EmBOOsa Wed 10-Oct-12 13:04:43

casey It seems so. You are also not allowed to get angry when someone accuses a victim of being malicious or lying (despite evidence to the contrary)

dilys4trevor Wed 10-Oct-12 13:06:26

Well, it looks like Chipstick (and a couple of others who foolishly deviated from the defacto Mumsnet line) has wisely left the conversation anyway. I happen to agree with the consensus on here, rather than the alternative view, but I don't like the way some of the posters (not just Chaz) went about it, so I'll remove myself too. And you can all be joyously together in agreement.

CelineMcBean Wed 10-Oct-12 13:14:20

I'm prepared to listen to the outlandish statements about the victim and even entertain the idea that JLC might not be guilty if any one of you can show where a mistake was made in the case or judicial process.

Until such time as the prosecution or jury can be shown to have behaved inappropriately or unlawfully I think anyone blaming the victim or disputing the validity of the verdict should stay quiet. Otherwise I'm afraid I and several others will point out that you are being a prat. And some of you don't seem to be able to handle that although you're very quick to level much worse accusations at a proven victim of domestic violence.

EmBOOsa Wed 10-Oct-12 13:16:35

The defacto MN line? Seriously, you think it's about that? How about some of us have been in the same situation as JLC's ex and are (understandably) pissed off that even with evidence and a guilty verdict, cunts like him still get painted as the victim of malicious liars? Why is it ok for a minority to say such hurtful and nasty things, but the majority of us are bullies when we call them on it?

Animation Wed 10-Oct-12 13:18:06

"It gives me a glimmer of hope that attitudes to DV and abusive behaviour might be changing"

Me too. Evolution seems to be a slow progress on these kind matters - but gradually gradually things seem to be moving in the right direction.

The judge got it wrong with the 'out of character' quip but Rome wasn't made in a day. hmm

If there is a defacto MN line (which I am yet to find) then perhaps its "when a person is convicted of abuse / domestic violence after due judicial process it is reasonable to assume that their victim was just that, a victim and that the abuser was just that, an abuser"

edam Wed 10-Oct-12 13:51:46

well said, Chaz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now