Abuse of hundreds of girls as young as ten covered up by police and social services

(259 Posts)
edam Mon 24-Sep-12 14:29:51

today's Times - sadly behind a paywall but you can see the first par here - has a major investigation into appalling, widespread organised rape and abuse of girls in South Yorkshire.

Not only did police and social services fail to help the girls, let alone prosecute the offenders, they actually charged victims and their parents - one girl was charged with using drugs, while the men in the room with her went free, while one father who tried to get his daughter back was charged with racial harassment, ffs. AND his poor daughter, who had been drugged, was charged with assault. Another parent was charged with breach of the peace, another girl - only 13 - was arrested for a public order offence and convicted, while the men went free.

It beggars belief. The Times has seen more than 200 confidential documents from Rotherham detailing the crimes which were often not investigated - even though police and social services knew full well who the perpetrators were. But they were more concerned with hushing up the heritage of the offenders - Pakistani, Kurdish, Iranian and Kosovan gangs and families - than investigating hideous crimes.

In one case, police in Bristol rescued two girls who had been kidnapped but South Yorkshire police (where they lived) didn't even question them.

Neither the police nor the council apologised, btw. Oh no, the council just says ofsted think they are great and 'some work with individuals did not lead to court cases for a variety of reasons'. S Yorks Police say now they have eight officers looking into child sexual exploitation and they are 'a leading force in safeguarding vulnerable children'.

edam Wed 26-Sep-12 23:15:44

It's one of the problems with The Times having gone behind a paywall - their stories don't have the same prominence they used to. But yes, interesting it's only the Mail that has followed it up (they do have a habit of lifting stuff, though, mate of mine who went to work there said 'I'm fed up of copying stories from other papers').

SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Wed 26-Sep-12 23:30:05

The Mail will publish any kind of 'Muslims doing x' story.

Whereas OTOH other papers may be put off by that angle.

Tryingtothinkofnewsnazzyname Thu 27-Sep-12 00:02:04

Yes, it's worrying that neither the BBC nor the Guardian have taken up the story. I have just searched the Guardian website and found nothing. Am wondering whether to contact and ask them whether they are unaware of the story or just don't think it's worth coverage.
I can get access to the Times, with a bit of effort, so I may have to seek out their pieces.

bigkidsdidit Thu 27-Sep-12 08:11:00

It's in the guardian today at least, and the MP for Rochdale was on Today

beancurd Thu 27-Sep-12 08:34:04

On radio 4 this am.

Pagwatch Thu 27-Sep-12 08:39:03

It was on Radio 5 a lot yesterday. Today it is their lead item and they have covered it several times this morning. It is the lead item on the news on BBC1.
It is getting coverage at last

Treats Thu 27-Sep-12 09:34:49

Last night's news item on BBC1 was about a review following the prosecution of nine men for similar offences in Rochdale - they were convicted earlier this year and the review was commissioned to investigate how the abuse could have gone on for so long with police/ss investigation. The Times were instrumental in bringing those cases to light also.

The cases in The Times in recent days have investigated similar offences in Rotherham and highlighted the police failings there. So although the two news items are on a similar theme, they're actually not the same.

Haven't heard the radio reports.

toxicpotato Thu 27-Sep-12 12:40:20

todays womans hour had a discussion with the new safeguarding head in rochdale recommended listening it made me pull the car over and howl at the radio at the lack of ownership of the guilt which should be thrown at the social services and police.

edam Thu 27-Sep-12 15:18:20

yeah, I caught a discussion about the review into Rochdale on the Today programme this morning, but there was no mention of Rotherham. The rest of the media is failing to cover the story beyond Rochdale - to show that it's not just one town.

SweetGrapes Thu 27-Sep-12 20:49:21

Read in the metro that some of the victims are going to sue. Good.
I think it was a statement from the lawyer of some of the girls.

Good. That was my immediate reaction, they need to sue them. All these silly things that people get compensation for - and here their lives are fucked up and everyone looks away like they don't matter...

SweetGrapes Thu 27-Sep-12 20:51:04

Not saying that compensation makes things right - but someone needs to be held accountable.

Rowanhart Thu 27-Sep-12 22:33:01

The truth is these girls were ignored and abandoned because they were white working class 'trash'

We live in a society where some children are seem as below the worth of others simply because of where they live and their parentage.

These girls were viewed as so unimportant it was more important to not be seen to have racial issues than protect them. After all if they weren't 'Chavs', knocking around on the streets when they should be at home they'd be okay. Our daughters would never be in that position...

But children from the poorest backgrounds-particularly those in the care system-have always been devalued and the sexualised.

I was involved in supporting victims of abuse from care home where attackers included local politicians and police. It was finally admitted by the council and compensation was paid. But none of the accuse, which included social workers, local police and councillors were ever criminally convicted. Some even continued to work despite dozens of accusations and the admission from he council abuse had occurred.

I hope heads will roll. I doubt it. After all, these girls have no value in our society. The people who covered it up do.

edam Fri 28-Sep-12 10:11:04

Was that in Islington by any chance, Rowan? I'd hate to think it was happening in more than one place...

giveitago Fri 28-Sep-12 12:25:26

Rowan - that's appalling. Really f'ckin appalling that that this is where we're at. The justice system lets people down due to power and now to so called racial politics. - if that's the case the our criminal justice system is not fit for purpose.

I pity the vulnerable. My heart breaks that young lives (and older lives) will be broken as there appears to be no acknowledgement or redress of consquences of their vulnerability.

I remember a case in belgium (?) a few years back where a couple of girls who'd gone missing were finally found - they'd had a horrible time and although they were returned to their parents, the case surrounded very important people and they had no justice. Just like the case of the West family - how did so many vulnerable girls go missing for such a long period of time before this couple faced the justice system. How many people complained to the police about them and why was nothing really found for so long. How many lives could have been saved?

This is appalling, it makes me want to throw up actually. Also charging the girls with drugs is almost saying that the abuse makes it their fault somehow and it's ok. They are children and should be protected!

The Home Affairs Committee is looking into this at the moment. One of the contributing factors is a lot of children's homes are now contracting with social services, and although children shouldn't be moved out of their local areas without good reason, they often are - because the children's homes are being built where property is cheaper.

This is a real problem with stopping children being groomed because they are removed from their entire support network. Yes obviously, children who are removed into care may not be safe at home but they will have family friends / teachers / neighbours etc who know them, care about them, and are likely to flag up when their behaviour changes and becomes out of character. Pick them up and drop them in another county and no-one will know or notice...

achillea Fri 28-Sep-12 12:45:27

Remember this:

In 1990 there was a case in Rochdale which around twenty children were removed from their homes by social services who alleged the existence of SRA after discovering 'satanic indicators'. No evidence was found of satanic apparatus' and charges were dismissed when a court ruled the allegations were untrue. The children who were removed from their homes sued the city council in 2006 for compensation and an apology.[40] (Wiki)

The fault lies in the care system and local child protection policies, not in the gangs / pimps.

edam Fri 28-Sep-12 13:00:43

achillea, the social workers involved in the satanic panic scandal in Rochdale were captured on tape - on their own video evidence - upsetting children in interviews that were themselves abusive. Horrendous stuff. The tapes also made it clear at least two social workers told downright lies in court. They were never tried with perjury and, worst of all, carried on working in social services. So professionals who torment children and believe any far-fetched rubbish about families can stay in their jobs, while merrily ignoring actual abuse by people outside the family...

achillea Fri 28-Sep-12 13:06:36

edam it is absolutely vile and unforgivable. What concerns me even more is that London councils have for years outsourced their children in care to places like Rochdale because it's cheaper to house them there. They are even more vulnerable - this should not be allowed.

What should also not be allowed is council unaccountability. When there is a breach of contract (gross misconduct etc), quite often the individual just gets sacked and nothing is heard. The council is not accountable to improve its practices.

The Rochdale satanic thing only became so public because the abused children sought compensation in 2006. If that hadn't happened it would have been swept under the carpet.

toodles Fri 28-Sep-12 13:29:15

"I was involved in supporting victims of abuse from care home where attackers included local politicians and police. It was finally admitted by the council and compensation was paid. But none of the accuse, which included social workers, local police and councillors were ever criminally convicted. Some even continued to work despite dozens of accusations and the admission from he council abuse had occurred."

This is why the police don't go after these people - they're in on it themselves too.

achillea Fri 28-Sep-12 13:31:26

Chilling. Just glad Keith Vaz is insisting on an inquiry.

Extrospektiv Fri 28-Sep-12 14:19:17

achillea, the satanic bs started because of american psychiatrists and fundamentalist charismatic Christians (sometimes one and the same) like Falwell, Roland Summit, Pamela Klein, etc. and the Macmartin Preschool case.

the Americans basically taught the British social workers how to extract false "disclosures" of SRA from young children and adolescents. Initially they were highly sceptical and there was no mainstream talk of it for at least 4-5 years after it had kicked off in the US.

then there were two extreme multiple-generational sexually abusive families, one in Broxtowe Notts. and one in Congleton Cheshire, in '87 which were so bad they thought Satan was the best explanation.

Rochdale just got caught up in it later.

edam Fri 28-Sep-12 14:22:58

don't forget that mad paediatrician in Cleveland - Mariella someone? - who 'diagnosed' hundreds of cases of child abuse by routinely sticking her finger up the bums of her child patients. That was around the time of satanic panic and I think was linked - any child she identfied by her favourite hobby, their parents were then suspected of taking part in satanic rituals.

edam Fri 28-Sep-12 14:24:52

Group of men in Oxford facing charges for child abuse At least the police are now finally prosecuting these kind of abusers. And it shows it's not just 'up North'...

They prosecute them though and they get extremely light sentences. Then they repeat the offence. The victims and their families get no support, and it becomes a possibility that the child will :

a) be openly more sexually aware and this leads to them being in danger of the same happening again
Or b) which i think is more than likely absolute tosh, become abusers themselves.

If they carry on like this, one day the country will be so desensitised to seeing cases of abuse it will become almost acceptable and no one will raise an eyebrow.

I am in the camp that believes these people lose their right to a normal life and should be marked in some way visibly so you know what they have done and what they are.

A big fucking P in the middle of their forehead should do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now