Letting a child paint their bedroom bright orange ... would you?

(83 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Sun 10-Feb-13 14:12:57

We have extended our house and everyone is moving into "new" (or heavily refurbished) bedrooms. I promised the children that they could choose their colour schemes.

DD2 - aged 7.5 - wants bright orange walls. We are talking the full monty - think Tango adverts! She is totally opposed to any compromise options (have tried suggesting peach walls and orange lampshade but she was unimpressed)/

The sensible half of me is saying "she'll get tired of it" and/or "she'll never sleep" and/or "she'll have a constant headache". The other half of me is saying "stop sounding just like your mother, if you can't have a ridiculous bedroom when you're a child, when can you".

Would you let her?

Startail Sun 10-Feb-13 14:53:00

Orange and white, with turquoise, bright green and hot pink could look really good.

DD1 has a ikea quilt cover that's white with bright flower outlines that would work (sadly not this years) and I've seen striped ones too.
right kind of colours

butterflies, hearts and various stipes, both DDs have BHS butterflies they wash ok

The problem is bright orange against orangey pine furniture, if her her furniture is white melamine or can be painted white it probably would look better.

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 14:54:31

I want bigger keys on my keyboard.

Scootee Sun 10-Feb-13 14:55:51

I would just have a neutral carpet, with 3 magnolia-ish walls and allw the 4th wall to be bright orange. That way, she has what she wanted and it won't be too much of a pita to rectify.

almostanotherday Sun 10-Feb-13 15:07:44

Cream walls and then everything else orange, lightshade, bedding, rug,

IsItMeOr Sun 10-Feb-13 15:11:02

Good for you OP - I agree you should go for it.

I shared a room with my slightly older sister. We had it pink when we were younger (I don't recall having any input into that choice) and then when we were in early teens, it was repainted. We allegedly got to choose. DSis wanted peach, I wanted blue. Yes, DMum sided with DSis and I resented it for a very long time. My brother, naturally, had the blue room I wanted.

Also, there are really good basecoat paints these days which will cover strong colours in a couple of coats and leave a perfect surface for painting over. We did this with our dark red study which is now a pale yellow bedroom for DS.

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 15:29:36

please don't subject any human being to magnolia.

<<shudders at memory of every wall in the house being magnolia because it was cheap and the walls needed to painted quickly>>

ChippyMinton Sun 10-Feb-13 15:32:30

I had orange when I was a kid, full-on 1970's bright orange with brown woodwork, orange lampshades, the full works.

It was awesome. Go for it!

Maryz Sun 10-Feb-13 15:45:21

I was going to ask you had you got a new phone nickel grin

I don't mind magnolia - at least it is honestly meh. I really dislike almond white and grey smoke and elephant's tusks or whatever - to me they are all just posh expensive magnolia.

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 15:49:48

I've got a GoTab mary grin

I've got the keys set slightly apart, but the crystsls go in different directions whether you hold it left or right handed and I think it doesn't like the left handed way.

Acandlelitshadow Sun 10-Feb-13 15:55:13

I'd totally let her have it.

Ds2 had Action Man paper with tango orange paint above for a few years. Painting over when we were ready was no biggie. The room is now a tasteful muted blue although if you look very carefully you may still see a tangerine spot or two in places

Acandlelitshadow Sun 10-Feb-13 15:55:20

I'd totally let her have it.

Ds2 had Action Man paper with tango orange paint above for a few years. Painting over when we were ready was no biggie. The room is now a tasteful muted blue although if you look very carefully you may still see a tangerine spot or two in places

WhichIsBest Sun 10-Feb-13 15:57:25

Agree you should paint on lining paper!

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 16:00:32

I said thatat the beginning.
no one ever listens to me sad

WhichIsBest Sun 10-Feb-13 16:09:10

I saw, smile I was reiterating!

EnterNicknameHere Sun 10-Feb-13 16:10:57

Argos have a nice star spots and stripe range that would look nice with orange.

I'd let her but then I love the colour orange.

AChickenCalledKorma Sun 10-Feb-13 17:53:55

Sorry Nickelbabe - yes I saw the lining paper thing. Still thinking about that one - I agree it would make it easier to re-do, but we've also just paid a couple of plasterers lots of £££s to make the walls lovely and flat and ready-to-paint grin.

AnAirOfHope Sun 10-Feb-13 18:05:14

Yes I would let my dd chose how she wants her bedroom.

I like orange. As a comprimise three white walls and one orange. It will look nice and bright and clean.

When the light is turned off it will be dark so she will sleep grin

ihearsounds Sun 10-Feb-13 18:08:14

You don't need to do it on lining paper. 2 maybe 3 coats of homebase magnolia will cover it up. I finally stripped the hall, it was orange and purple under the paper. Couple of coats and then the colour I wanted sorted it out, which was a pale aqua.

The only time magnolia should be used is, imo, is to cover up dark/strong colours. Also sorted out a black bedroom.

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Feb-13 18:18:57

Well, you did promise! Don't make promises you can't (or won't ) keep wink !

FWIW, my uni BF had an orange room and it was actually really nice. It was a big room and quite sunny, so not over powering at all. He had yellow curtains. Much nicer than the grunge/goth that everyone else was into! For your DD sounds much cheerier than pink/purple/butterflies.

For a child's room with orange walls, I'd look at the rainbow bedroom range that JojoMamanBebe do. DS has the duvet cover and lampshade. A bit pricey, but lovely.

nickelbabe Sun 10-Feb-13 21:48:38

don't you have to leave the walls about 6 months before you can paint them?

jaynebxl Mon 11-Feb-13 07:14:57

Do you mean after walls are plastered, nickel? General advice is that you can paint once the plaster has gone pale pink, so up to a week.

fridgepants Mon 11-Feb-13 07:31:02

I rent and one of the worst things about it is bloody magnolia walls. The happiest house I ever shared had a yellow bedroom smile

I wasn't allowed to make any of the choices in my room as a kid - wallpaper went up, no posters until I rebelled age 12 by blu-tacking up some Dali postcards and my mum decided pictures of cats and Blur were better than surrealist nudes.

Sokmonsta Mon 11-Feb-13 07:40:58

Could be worse. I had a friend who painted her room in bright orange, green and yellow stripes.

Ilovexmastime Mon 11-Feb-13 07:48:13

Let her, I don't see why you wouldn't when you've already promised confused

I let my DS's choose their colours for their new bedroom and DS1 went for bright red - walls and ceiling - and DS2 went for bright yellow. I was very unsure at first, particularly regarding the ceiling, but once you get the furniture in, it's not so in-your-face and now I really like both rooms.

nickelbabe Mon 11-Feb-13 14:33:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now