Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chemist tested me for diabetes - sent me to the Dr TODAY urgently...please come and talk to me...

(723 Posts)
MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 22-Jan-13 15:28:34

<Sorry, just got to the end and realised how long this is!!>

These are my questions

1: The reading the chemist got was 20 - can anyone tell me what this means (ie how 'serious' it is) and if they think it could be controlled and/or preferably gotten rid of through diet and exercise.

2: What will the Dr do today.

The rest is whittering background.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'll have to go in about an hour and wont be able to get back on line until tomorrow afternoon, but I haven't done a runner and will be grateful for any help/advice.

[I'm a regular - I've namechanged because I'm not sure yet if I want to tell anyone or not and I have a few RL friends on MN. It's not that I mind people knowing as such it's just that I don't want it to turn into A Big Deal]

I have been wondering for quite some time if I might have diabetes. A few things have made me wonder about it such as

- Excessive thirst (always having to have a bottle of water on me)

- Eyes a bit blurry at night (been blaming the overhead light and the small tv screen with tivo bright red background and only a problem at night and spending too much time looking at screens)

- Occasional 'shakes'

- I am overweight and struggle with feeling like my 'blood sugars' aren't right

...but what made me 'man up' to getting tested was that last week & yesterday I had a couple of episodes of light headedness/feeling faint when doing things such as changing a lightbulb, I had also been having them in the shower, but put that down to it being hot/steamy etc

I called the chemist about a year ago blush to see if they did the tests, but ended up not going <hence my name for this thread>

I also went to my Dr about 3-4 years ago with constant tiredness and no real reason for it.... he put it down to my weight (which although I'm overweight was not stopping me doing anything, being reasonably fit etc), he really wasn't interested in looking further. I haven't been back, but am and have been pretty much constantly tired since before then. I know I should have seen another Dr but it's hard when you are overweight and they don't seem interested in seeing past that and accept their might be something other excess weight causing the problem.

I wonder now how long I might have had it for and thus how much damage I might have done already to my body, especially my eyes, that's pretty scary.

I was already overweight, but I was pretty fit - then something quite lifechanging happened and I've put on more weight, stopped exercising and I am not unfit. I'm certainly not can't move off the couch unfit - I could still easily walk 4 miles, run for the bus (i'd be panting but I could do it and would recover pretty quickly) - but something else I've noticed (just yesterday I really 'thought' about it) is that I have been putting off doing stuff like walking places (now I take the car), running up the stairs (now only ever walk), kicking the ball about with the kids etc and I realised yesterday it's because when I do I feel awful - not just tired/worn out but light headed and a bit pukey - it's been a gradual thing.

I am totally committed to exercising - a minimum of 30 minutes every day without fail (have just been for an hours walk - about 3 miles) and to improving my diet (which I fully accept hasn't been great for a while, since this 'thing' happened and for a wee bit before then).

I'm not looking for any magic cure - I just want to know if I can get rid of the diabetes through diet and exercise.

Thank you if you made it this far - or even if you didn't wade through it all but can help.

Ilovesunflowers Fri 15-Mar-13 20:44:39

MrsHercule. I seem to be being self destructive when it comes to my diet. Pissed off with myself really.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Mar-13 20:50:05

FOUR POINT FIVE

Wahooooooooo

Just the payoff I needed tonight grin

I was feeling really 'Friday Night'ish and for the first time since starting this really, really fancied a bag of crisps & a glass of sauvignon blanc, but I kept the 'Big Picture' in focus and had veggies & sparkling water smile

(The veggies were very very nice - cooked last night (did a double load - which I don't often do as I think they lose some of their goodness once cut & cooked?!?) Cauliflower Mash & in another pan courgettes, leeks, mushrooms pan fried in butter with double cream & philly & some quorn chunks - tonight they all went into the fry pan with a tad more butter and became a low carb bubble & squeak grin YUMMMMMM

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Mar-13 20:56:06

Is it walking or water?? It would appear to be one or the other I think... so from tomorrow on it's a vigerous 30 mins <min> rain, shine, knackerdness or not and a minimum of 2 litres of water ... both are good for me anyway and if there's any chance they're making me drop to the 4s I'm doubly in!!

Maybe a combo of both?!? I also think that diet has a sort of cumulative effect, so the better you are for the longer you are the better your numbers. The worse you are for the longer you do it, the higher they go.

ilove it is difficult. How much weight do you want to lose? Are you better as an all or nothing method, or a small changes at a time person?

Ilovesunflowers Fri 15-Mar-13 21:15:05

I need to lose 5-6 stone really. I don't seem to be doing well with any method tbh. I've tried slimming world (lost 4 stone in the past with this) but lose motivation at about week two. Tried a high protein diet with classes but couldn't stand the classes. tried 4:3 and 5:2 but lost motivation. Tried losing weight mainly through exercise but it buggered up my shoulders and knees. Tried just a sensible 1200-1500 calorie and exericise diet but again lose motivation.

I think I just need putting to sleep really!!

Grrrr just wrote a big post and lost it. Have you looked at bootcamp low carb threads? For me I find that because you eat yummy (full fat, cream, cheese, meats etc) food I find it much easier to stick with. The first few weeks I feel the urge to snack a lot (and do on low carb things), but once that has passed my general day would look like:
B - bacon, mushroom and eggs (all fried in butter usually)
L - salad/leaves with some kind of topping (goats cheese, leftover meats, egg may, tuna mayo, cheeses, salamis, salmon...)
D - meat/fish with vegetables (either slathered in butter, roasted or in a creamy cheesey sauce).

Plus loads of water 4 - 5 litres. I still have a similar amount to you to lose, but am 1 stone and 12 lbs down from my highest.

when I need to snack I have babybels, leftover meats, pepperamis, pork scratchings or cheese crisps made from slices of cheese. If you think it might be for you, then give it a go, honestly it has worked for so many people and lots of support over there...

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Mar-13 21:30:52

ILove - are you still doing this?

'How are you approching your weight loss?'' low calorie diet and exercise. 1200-1500 calories a day and exercise twice a day

Please - if you can afford it, go and buy the book tomorrow (as I said, about £8 in WHSmith) or see if your local library has it on the shelf and read it over the weekend. I assure you that it will totally change the way you choose to lose weight and it will help you.

OK - so I'm not up there with the Biggest Losers 14lbs a week, but it's a steady 2lb a week (others are doing better than me though, I think I have a few things that make it slower for me, some are losing 4lbs or more a week).

Also, read BIWI's Bootcamp threads - start with week 1 and work your way through them. The women on there are lovely and inspiring and there's LOADS of fab recipes.

Low carbing is the way forward - honestly.

When you first read it you think 'I don't think so, that's far too restrictive' but actually, even as a vegetarian it's totally do-able and as a meat/fish eater you have it made.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Mar-13 21:45:26

MrsHP & I are like a tag team grin

I'm feeling very evangelical about low-carbing, it's my new best friend grin

Honestly, I did fancy crisps tonight, but it wasn't a craving, it wasn't a 'I have to have some' it was simply a 'oooh I really fancy some <ad on tv>' but then it was 'Nah, don't like what they'll do to me' and made dinner - I didn't pine after them or feel terrible that I couldn't have them.

... and as I said, as a meat/fish eater it will be much easier and nicer for you!

I am not saying 'never' about anything foodwise, never having x y or z again is too much to deal with and it's much better saying 'right now I'm not eating x,y or z. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I'm more a savory snacker, BUT I love Easter Eggs and was feeling a bit put out that I can't have any ever again... big sigh... but instead I'm saying 'I'm not having any THIS year, maybe one next year'.

I'm taking this one step at a time - this first three months until my next diabetes test. My aim is to get my numbers RIGHT DOWN, diet, exercise & weight loss. My weight loss goal is 12kg/27lb in 12 weeks - or thereabouts. It's only that as it's the percentage of weight loss that they say really kick starts changes health wise and I have something to prove to the diabetes tyrant other than that, as long as it's going down I'm happy.

I have more than you to lose, but feel I can do it this way - when no other has succeeded.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Mar-13 21:55:25

MrsHP - yes, quite possibly both together, who knows? All my numbers are coming down nicely. If I get a 6 something now it's like 'what??' and I test again - and usually get a 5 something. I hope they go down a bit more and stay down! Fingers crossed!!

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 16-Mar-13 06:48:14

Guess whose fasting was 4.9 this morning!?

gringringringrin

Anyway, I know I appear to be talking to myself, but I know one of you will turn up at some stage! I don't have anyone IRL to share this with (my friend & her DH who do know about the diabetes really wouldn't get the significance. I'll tell them when I see them over the weekend, but they'll just do that 'confused that's good then?' thing).

Ilovesunflowers Sat 16-Mar-13 06:53:05

Well done myhead. Good number. I haven't done mine yet.

In terms of the diet I struggle with low carving as the only protein I eat is tuna chicken and eggs. I am very much a carb person and always have been. I can force myself to eat turkey and bacon. I do like veg.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 16-Mar-13 07:23:14

Thanks - still very grin

Yes - I remember the conversation we had re your anti protein issues smile

However, you could do it on tuna, chicken and eggs if you wanted to. I manage on cheese, a little tofu & a little quorn. There's protein in all kinds of things too - so you'll get a little via other 'non obvious sources'.

Read the book <please> - even if you don't end up going completely low carb it's very enlightening and will hopefully help you decide on something you find 'do-able' that works for you. I can guarantee you that you will think it £8 well spent and if you don't, I'll buy it off of you (I could do with a couple of spare copies to chuck at people to read before they tell me I need to eat more carbs!).

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-13 09:10:24

Ilovesunflowers - I echo everyone else - Bootcamp would really be a good idea for you. And if MyHead, who is a vegetarian (no eggs) can do it, then you really can do! grin

Honestly - apart from being really good for diabetics (as has been proved by this thread), it's very good for weight loss. One of the key reasons that it's so good is that you won't be hungry. You won't have that 'I have to gnaw my arm off unless I eat something' feeling at 11.00am any more!

Although this latest Bootcamp is just finishing, there will be an ongoing chat thread from Monday - and I will be starting another one at the end of April, which will last for 10 weeks.

Oh, and a big fat YAY to MyHead!!! flowers

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-13 09:20:35

... or maybe that should have said 'a big thin YAY' grin

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-13 09:21:01

<laughs at own joke>

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 16-Mar-13 09:30:33

BIWI <laughs with you> YaY actually looks quite thin too doesn't it smile

However, I've a LONG way to go before 'thin' even comes into it grin - probably never! (Even at 7st 11 I never looked thin (boobs and face shape).

... and FAT is good!! (As long as we're eating it & not shlepping it around on our stomachs!)

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-13 09:34:14

I still can't get my head around the fact that, technically, I'm thin. I found that even hard to write. How bizarre.

myhead 4.9 !!!!

WHOOP A DEE DOOOOO!

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 16-Mar-13 11:20:05

BWIW is thin grin Smokin'

How are you judging your 'technically' BMI or otherwise?

MrsHP thank you smile That's 3 4's now, so not just a fluke!! grin

To those who asked how I have managed to lose 23lbs since the start of Lent - I have a lot to lose so the first 8llbs went in the first few days. I was a massive consumer of white wine, which was OK when I was younger but since the menopause hit my weight has ballooned, so cutting out wine and bread had a massive effect initially. Since then I have been doing 5:2 but still counting calories on my eating days. And supporting DH in trying to get his levels down means no snacking and no treats.

I still have 5 stone to go - but I am wondering whether I have moved from Tonga to another tropical island. Anyone still got that link?

Well done on your levels MyHead. DH's readings are all over the place, but as he seems to be refusing to keep a food diary we are none the wiser as to why.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 16-Mar-13 14:16:50

Exit Thanks smile

I had to laugh, haven't heard reference to that thread for AGES - will have a fiddle about on advance search and see if I can find it smile

You have done really, really well smile After your initial drop that's about 4lbs per week!!

I have more to lose than you and still didn't drop that dramatically initially nor am I losing that much each week sad However, I do think my body is somehow screwed... I've never been able to lose weight quickly and have often put on weight doing the same diet as a friend and eating exactly the same thing/same amount/exercising together etc but I'm still pleased that I'm losing 2lb per week - that's good for me.

It's a shame DH wont keep a food diary, even if it's just for a couple of weeks.

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-13 14:42:29

I'm judging it partly by my BMI and partly by the fact that I'm wearing size 8 jeans and my tops are (mostly) size 10!

Plus when I tell people I still have half a stone to go, I get lots of concerned looks and comments like "are you sure?" grin

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 16-Mar-13 15:35:13

grin

I know it doesn't matter at all and it will be what it is... but I have no idea what weight I'm aiming for really. I just can't imagine ever getting back to 8st 2lb/52kg (BMI 21.9). The top weight which puts me in the 'normal' for my height is 126lb/9st/57kg (BMI 24.9) I guess that's as good a goal as any. Weird though, it feels like it would still be 'too fat' but at the same time feels totally unobtainable... time will tell I guess!

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-13 15:39:13

How tall are you? That seems a pretty low top weight.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 16-Mar-13 16:03:19

Holy crap.

I just tested, I thought, it's going to be highish (well, not highish but not low iyswim) as I haven't drunk much water today yet, I haven't been for a walk yet. I have done some low level housework and sat on my bum MNing.

It was 4.4 - so I got out a new tub of strips, did the control solutions (perfect on both) and retested - 4.1 grin grin grin

BIWI - I'm a short arse, which makes my weight even more appalling, I'm 5ft if wearing socks and fluffing up my hair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now