Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone used Rectogesic/Anoheal

(17 Posts)
theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Thu 10-Jan-13 09:45:53

Any improvements yet namely?

Namely Tue 08-Jan-13 17:52:47

Yes Rudolphs glass, razors and acid. The pain after lasts for about 8 hours at times. Again, like acid.

Namely Tue 08-Jan-13 17:50:46

I would rather give birth every day than have a fissure. It's the worst pain I have ever felt!

Thanks owl, I gave it a go last night. Just a tiny amount and was ok. Bit faint feeling but nothing drastic. Used another tiny amount this morning too. Will slowly build up the amount I think. Will use in mornings when I have no plans but won't risk driving after it. Can't say if its helped pain yet, defo still lots if blood but I am hopeful.

Still worried about the effect on breast feeding.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Tue 08-Jan-13 17:44:34

Yep, glass and razors.

RudolphsNoseInMyXmasStocking Tue 08-Jan-13 15:28:38

Are fissures when it feels like your sh*tting glass?

Smudging Tue 08-Jan-13 15:25:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Tue 08-Jan-13 15:20:50

Any joy Namely?
Hope you're feeling better today

Namely Mon 07-Jan-13 16:47:36

Well still haven't used it! Going to give it a go tonight I think. So scared, I never used to be such a wimp!

NewcastleLisa1970 Mon 07-Jan-13 12:43:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

buildingmycorestrength Mon 07-Jan-13 03:37:27

Rectogesic so so so so brilliant.

Don't know about using it while bf but you can take paracetamol for headache and use a tiny amount of cream for relief. Should only need it for a few days/weeks.

Make sure BMs are v soft... inc lactulose, take a probiotic supplement (I find helps a lot) and eat wholegrains.

The pain is just like nothing else, isn't it. sad

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Sun 06-Jan-13 22:46:11

Yes, please try it. You can always stop if it's not
For you.

Namely Sun 06-Jan-13 22:33:08

Does it also help with the pain? I most scared about stopping the lidocaine. Does Rectogesic have pain relief in?

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Sun 06-Jan-13 19:48:12

I used rectogesic while bf. it gave me a slight headache after about 10mins which then cleared up. Baby was fine. Several doctors assured me it was fine while breastfeeding. It also sorted the fissure although it took about 3 weeks before I started to feel "normal" again.
If I ever have another fissure (please god no) I would ask the doctor for it straight away.
Hope you're feeling better soon. You have my sympathy

bonzo77 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:45:35

I have used rectogesic. It worked well but I stopped when pregnant. The only side effect I got was the headache which was bad but only lasted half an hr or so. I found that if I took nurafen an hour before using the cream and used it just before I went to bed it was more bearable. Also, you are meant to use it 2x a day, I only used it night time for this reason and it worked ok.

mymatemax Sun 06-Jan-13 19:42:28

I have used it Rectogesic but wasnt bfeeding. I was concerned as I already have v low blood preassure but actually i had no side effects at all.
It did help to heal the fissures BUT i already had the constipation etc under control & it was the last thing I did to restore my backside to its former self IYKWIM

Namely Sun 06-Jan-13 19:38:53

Bump!

Namely Sun 06-Jan-13 17:01:35

I am in agony with my fissures since the birth of my son 3 months ago. My GP prescribed rectogesic cream but I really don't want to use it. I can't risk the side effects as on my own with DS a lot. Also, the NHS says not to use it if breast feeding. Spoke to doctor about breast feeding concerns. She said it would be fine...still haven't used it!

Today has been a shocking day for the pain. Since BM this morning it has been agony and I have been crying pretty much constantly!I have changed my diet to fruit and veg and lots of water to no avail. Taking movicol after the lactulose stopped working but this seems no better. So scared of eating.

Been reading old threads about Anoheal but they are all quite old so though I would ask for people's experiences of both creams so I can speak to doctor again tomorrow. I also have large piles and the fissures seem to start at the bottom (ha ha) of them. Worried the Rectogesic will make them worse. Also, it seems to be connected to my episiotomy scar which hurts at the same time. Aaarrrggh, help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now