Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

*tamoxifen* 31- in the bus shelter with the cheap booze

(984 Posts)
Gigondas Mon 03-Dec-12 17:13:36

Shiny new thread

jchocchip Sat 29-Dec-12 12:48:47

Hello again! We're back home. Lovely db cooked roast beef and apple crumble for our journey break at Mums. Well done ned playing the organ - I was told by a wise old minister that congregational singing is about making a joyful noise - the loud old lady who was tone deaf didn't faze at all and you shouldn't worry about the odd b*m note, just pull out all the stops and enjoy grin
loma I'm sure it is the holiday that has delayed the result - so frustrating.
mas hope you get on well with the lower dose.
Have set my deal mil a project knitting me a random coloured cardi out of left over scraps of wool... She is at the hosp most days visiting her mum and needs distraction... The hosp phoned twice while we were there saying nan unresponsive but managed to bring her round - think of she gets well enough for discharge it will be to a nursing home.
Waves and puts a brew on...

Lomaamina Sat 29-Dec-12 15:07:36

Waving back to everyone and thanks for the brew and sympathy.

TMI information alert Does anyone have any advice about soothing creams or oils post-op? The nurse I saw yesterday (fortnight post op) said the wound was healing very well and I could start using aqueous cream to wash in a couple of days and ---- oil (didn't catch the name!) to soften the scar once it's healed. In the meantime the area around it has become very dry where the adhesive of the dressing was in place. It's madly itchy and sore to boot. I have bad bruising. I don't want to risk infection but if anyone has any advice if be really grateful.

KurriKurri Sat 29-Dec-12 15:28:52

LOma - I think it will be bio oil she means - its for scars and if you massage it in, in a kind of circular motion it can help prevent the build up of tight hard scar tissue - so worth doing. You can get bio oil in any chemist - it's quite expensive, (about £8 -£9 for a small bottle IIRC) but a little goes a long way, superdrug do it a bit cheaper. You can also put a few drops of it into your bath.

As far as the dressing soreness is concerned (I had that too - it's horrid isn't it, - think I was a bit allergic to the adhesive), I think i would go for something gentle like savlon cream, or sudocreme, - but keep an eye on it, if its very sore, they can give you special dressings at the GP's - nurse will do it - I think I had one with silver in it to help healing.

bruising - arnica ointment is the best thing I've found. You will find probably that the bruising takes a little while to come out - you'll be discovering new ones for a few days ! - they aren't terribly gentle in operating theatres and you get yanked about quite a lot, so you might have a few aches and pains unfortunately.

Someone on here recommended a square of pure silk (like a hanky or scarf) inside your bra or under the front band for softness and to stop rubbing, - but quite possibly you aren't up to bra wearing yet!

Good luck with the healing - it takes a little while, but once it starts getting better then it speeds up a bit (if that makes sense confused) smile

Hello Jane - knitting will be nice for your MIL to occupy her if she's at the hospital a lot. Hope Nan improves over the next few days - it's sad seeing old people so frail. sad

I have made the cake (nearly - just need to ice it) DS coming over for cake and to give DD his present. I am making quantities of egg sandwiches Mrs Doyle stylee grin

Lomaamina Sat 29-Dec-12 15:38:04

Oh thanks kurrikurri it was indeed bio oil now you reminded me. I'll note all your great tips, thanks. As for wearing a bra - it's the other way around. Because of the wound site I have to wear one continuously, otherwise there's too much weight taken by the wound. I think that's one of the sources of my discomfort, even though I'm wearing a 'post- op' one which is meant to be more comfortable...

amberlight Sun 30-Dec-12 16:34:06

Hello all! I have been absent with brain frying failure due to silly situation nothing to do with cancer treatment at all. So catching up and leaving out a wine for those in need and some thanks to cheer people up.

KurriKurri Sun 30-Dec-12 16:42:20

<clinks glasses with amber> hope you are OK sweetie x

smee Sun 30-Dec-12 18:44:12

Waving to Amber. I'll clink some wine with you. Are you through your brain frying or still amidst it?

Loma, a dressing's a good idea as it stops clothes rubbing. Silk vest top or similar's best too. Weirdly burns dressings might be your best bet but GP/ practice nurse might be your best bet. Hope it stops being so irksome soon.

Ned, good to hear you're feeling a bit lighter. One day at a time I reckon, as you're bound to have good and bad days. (((hugs))) from me.

How's the lower dose going, MAS? Are you feeling okay?

Jane, that's sad about your Nan and MIL too. Blimey it never stops for you.

Would hold my paws out for DD's birthday cake, Kurri but we still have half a Christmas Cake to eat. Delicious though I do say so myself. Did she have a fun day? smile

What's everyone doing for NY tomorrow? We're staying local, so walking a few streets to v.old friends. Totally stress-free, as we don't even have to dress up. smile

amberlight Sun 30-Dec-12 19:06:09

Smee, today's the first day since before Christmas that I've felt unfried, so getting there thanks smile

We're having a quiet family thing for NY

smee Sun 30-Dec-12 20:53:22

Glad you're a bit less frazzled, Amber. A quiet family thing sounds just the ticket for NY. smile

Lomaamina Sun 30-Dec-12 20:55:57

Hi smee it's starting to improve withe aqueous cram washed over the dryest areas (avoiding) the wound, but I'll look out a piece of silk because tomorrow's my first proper outing into London with the family and I'll be doing a bit more walking than normal. Great excitement to be getting back to a normal routine although im a tad nervous of the crowds. A good dry run for my first day back at work though...

For me NY eve is a non- event and always has been since the halcyon days at university when we'd dance the night away with a backdrop of a silent movie that woul be traditionally created by the film department each year... Nothing to better that and anyway, I have to admit to preferring an early night nowadays.

Whether you're staying up or not everyone, may I raise a virtual wine to you all for a wonderful, healthy 2013 and thanks for your amazing support.

jchocchip Sun 30-Dec-12 21:04:56

wine cheers. Good to see you amber
went for a walk earlier and the weir on the river is only just visible - any more rain and it will disappear!

PenisColada Sun 30-Dec-12 21:07:24

Just checking in.

My op is in just under 3 weeks. I am paranoid about getting ill and the cancer spreading whilst waiting for the op.

I can now talk about it without crying and am sick of dealing with people's reactions as I want to shout it is me not you so shut up.

This is all a nightmare and I still can't believe it is happening to me.

topsyturner Sun 30-Dec-12 22:47:53

I'm not fond of New Years Eve either
And that's not Cancer talking , I've always been a miserable old bag grin

DH and the DC stay up and watch Jools Holland , but me ? I'd rather go to bed with a good book !

Speaking of which , does anyone have any good reads to add to my serial killer collection ?
(Gracie I'm looking at you !)
I love a good thriller .

I have also discovered this weekend that I have an extraordinarily huge head !
Wore one of my crocheted hats out yesterday , and a friend of mine tried it on .
It didn't stretch half as much on her head as it did on mine ...
So I have started a new hat today , and increased the sizing to binliner proportions grin

Hope everyone is well .
Pen good luck staying occupied till your op date .
Amber I hope all your troubling times are behind you , and that 2013 is the fantastic year that you deserve !

I have my first post remission CT on Friday .
Hence all the crazy "it's come back" dreams . And I'm symptom spotting like crazy ...

Oh and as if I didn't have enough to cope with , DH has decided he wants to get a companion for pig/dog !
faints clean away gringringrin

Gigondas Mon 31-Dec-12 14:55:26

Checking in from French France with champagne for the fbs trolley as had a night away in champagne. And another vote for not liking New Year's Eve- it is the enforced jollity nature of it so always felt it was an anticlimax.

Topsy I will join you with the symptom spotting as my next scan in a couple of weeks. And what can you get to keep pig dog company? And how will you keep another pet like that in snacks grin?

Arf at the hat .

Thrillers (cant vouch for them all as beyond montalbano books am not the biggest thriller person):
Anne holt - Norwegian thriller writer
Leif persson- between summers longing and winters end. (Stockholm based corruption thing )
Mari jungstadt meant to be good (Swedish again)

Oh and gracie I got a kindle too and am surprised at now much I like it (was always a bit meh as used iPad for it ).

KurriKurri Mon 31-Dec-12 15:46:11

Pen - it is very scary waiting for you op. - you just want it all over with, I felt exactly the same, but was told that in the big scheme of things, three weeks is a very short time and there is no cause for concern about the cancer spreading in that time. I know you just want it taken away, - it's a very stressful time.
Other people getting over emotional doesn't really help, you are right - it is you, and no one knows exactly how you feel or what you are going through - even those of us who have had our own cancer experiences.

Would it help to occupy you if you got very organised for when you come out of hospital? - stock of meals in the freezer, doing any jobs that you might not be able to do for a while, that sort of thing. Or maybe arrange some sort of outing every day - even if it's just a walk, to give your day a bit of structure and get through the waiting time. Are you signed off work until after op? - I think you said you were.

And if you don't want to talk about it with others then say so - you don't have to do anything you don't want to, you have to be 'selfish' and do what you need to protect yourself emotionally. xx

topsy - have you read The Black House by Peter May - it's good, set on Lewis/Harris, there's a sequel too.
DH got me one by Alison Bruce for Christmas which is good so far.
And I recently read some by Elly Griffiths - heroine is a forensic archeologist - I like them because they are set in my part of the country, but good stories.

Are you thinking another dog? - how exciting, what kind another GS?

Good luck with the scan - scary I know, and good luck to you too Gig for yours.
Am envy of French France, is weather nice?- it's completely foul here, raining and blowing a gale.

Also not keen on New Years Eve - I always feel very melancholy, start thinking about loved ones no longer here etc., I'm not keen on Significant Dates generally.

My diet started again today, am already feeling a bit peckish sad

smee Mon 31-Dec-12 17:15:35

Waving to Gig in French France and to Topsy too. Scans on the horizon are never good. Even if you don't like NY, wine in abundance might help distract?

Topsy, what's DH got his heart set on then? Is it another PigDog, or a new sort of hound? Can imagine PigDog'll take some persuading it's a good idea..

Pen, totally get why you're worried. I'd bet we all recognise it. When I was diagnosed, we had an EasyJet long weekend away booked. My Surgeon said go as she couldn't operate until we were back anyway, then the Volcano Ash Cloud hit and we were stranded in Spain. I was so paranoid about spread that we got 6 trains, (two overnight with no sleeper) and spent epic amounts of time in railway stations, all with our then five year old. When I told the Surgeon she said it really wouldn't have mattered if we'd been delayed, but I'd still have hated it. Kurri's idea's good about cooking, etc. Keeping busy's definitely a help. Let us distract you too. xx

Hope Loma survived her day out in London and isn't too wiped out. How's the skin Loma?? Still improving?

I didn't used to like NY either, but now it's so laid back and local I love it. We don't even have to stay until midnight, as lots will be there and DS is an excellent excuse. Once he's wolfed down all the crisps, he'll start to get bored so we'll slink back to watch Jools on the sofa. Perfect. Will raise a toast to all of you at midnight. Happy 2013 to us all. smile

NedSchneebly Mon 31-Dec-12 17:19:04

another anti-NYE household here too. We are having Waitrose crispy duck, a nice bottle of wine and a trashy film, and going to bed at normal time. What party animals we are. . .

pen I am completely with you with the waiting thing - I felt exactly the same, about it spreading while I was waiting for surgery etc, and I only had to wait 2 weeks to wait for my op. It is such a sense of relief when its gone. kurri is right - you need to give your time some structure. PLan some nice days out/ shopping expeditions/ trips/ catch up with friends/ gym sessions whatever you enjoy doing, as it helps move the days forward. You'll have pre-op appointments at some point before your surgery, and that helps to make it seem as if you are getting closer to the day. Just tell people to bugger off if you don't want to talk about it. Its your business not theirs. Stick with us, love, and we can help you pass the time.

Loma how did your trip into London go? hope you had a lovely time and you didn't get too tired.

smee sounds like a nice chilled NYE for you. Have a wine for me.

kurri sending you lots of NYE hugs, most excellent lady. One of my resolutions for 2013 is for us to meet up again, but only if you would like to. . .

amber hugs for you too. Hope brain is slowly unscrambling. Take it easy on yourself won't you?

topsy another pig/dog? How exciting! DH wants to get another dog, but I have told him that two is plenty. . . Everything crossed for CT on Friday x x x

MAS how's the reduced dose? Hope you're bearing up OK. Thinking of you, lovely lady xx x

gig very jealous of french Franceland. Hope wine is flowing for you x x

jchoc hope Nan continues to improve and can be discharged soon x x

Waves to others: copthall, sometimes, lime, figgy, greylady and anyone else I might have forgotten. Lots of love to you all x x x x

KurriKurri Mon 31-Dec-12 17:26:52

Ned - I would love to meet up with you again, - I know there are some puddings down there with our names on them grin I shall certainly be down at some point - hopefully in the not too distant future.

Smee- enjoy your NYE celebrations - they sound nice and relaxed. We will just be vegging in front of the sofa, I think DS and DDIL are partying, but we are stay at homes [dullard emoticon] Most exciting thing for me will be putting up my new wildlife calendar tomorrow grin

PenisColada Mon 31-Dec-12 17:53:06

Thanks for the support it really helps that you have all been through it too.

I went on a lovely lunch with friends and now have been to Waitrose and treated myself to some lovely cordial ! Odd as I was always life and soul of any event and the first to down a drink or 10 .

Lomaamina Mon 31-Dec-12 17:54:58

Hello everyone. Back from my big adventure, showered, feet up and feeling surprisingly well, considering. We walked lots round the museum but I paced myself well. Skin's improving daily, but wound unsurprisingly still sore after all the movement. Happily yesterday we made a double batch of cottage pie to eat, so I've announced to DH &DS that they're on kitchen duty and I await yummie supper from my cosy couch.

Pen I'm sorry to see your latest post - I really feel for you. I agree with the others about cooking for the freezer. It's very cheering to have your favourite dishes for when you're up and about (and a good distraction). And of course bear in mind that if the docs thought you needed a more urgent op, I'm sure they would have made sure to get you in sooner. The waiting is agony, but it'll soon be over.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who find NYE a bore. I'm somewhat disgruntled at the poor offerings on TV, but I'll crack open my PD James Pride and Prejudice murder mystery sequel (not making this up), which should work well as a nice winter evening's read.

Gigondas Mon 31-Dec-12 18:27:16

That's a good book loma - I enjoyed it.

pen the plan about things to do is a good one. I was most nervous of all I think about my op as imagined I wouldn't wake up.

sandripples Mon 31-Dec-12 18:34:10

I'd just like to wish everyone on here all the very best for the new Year, especially those having treatment at present or waiting for an op - hang in there.

With thanks for the support from all of you at times in the past three years. Can't believe it is nearly 3 years since my op!

Love Sandripples. xx

Happy new year to you all and thanks to you all for getting me through the last year which was certainly not my finest.

Glad you had a good day loma and hope your wound continues to improve.

pen waiting is the pits but it will soon be over. Thinking of you.

ned hope you are continuing to feel a bit brighter. When are you back to work? Next week? Hope it goes well. Will be thinking of you.

Waving to gigs in France. Hope you are having a restful time. I am more than slightly in love with my Kindle although I do spend a stupid amount of time playing bubble games and surfing Amazon on it.

Feeling slightly envy at the thought of a new puppy pig/dog topsy. I have been angling for a new addition but DH is taking a bit of coaxing. My book shelf is severely depleted as I took the head staggers and sent most of mine to the charity shop in the summer. I could offer you some Jo Nesbo or a few detective stories but I am looking for some recommendations myself. The sequel to the Peter May book recommended by kurri is 20p on Amazon at the moment. Hope hnd is ok and not permanently blinded by your landing strip.

smeehave a nice night out tonight.

Don't want to miss anyone out so waving to you all. Anyone heard anything from 1in8 have been wondering how she is getting on?

Not a huge fan of New Year, we usually go to bed early.

jchocchip Mon 31-Dec-12 19:06:52

Happy New Year everyone wine smile

waves to everyone.

Have to stay up as dd is going out and wants a lift later. and I need to finish my CPD log blush

Gigondas Mon 31-Dec-12 19:59:01

Ooh and on dog front we have found a sitter so may well be getting one too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now