Excess of mangoes...

(19 Posts)
mmmmmchocolate Mon 18-Mar-13 09:04:58

My wonderful dad stocks the DD's fruit supply on a weekend. He brought 2 huge mangoes (to go with the 2 huge mangoes that he brought last weekend...) However my kids have decided to stop eating them and I probably can't get through four in the next few days...

What can I make?

mistlethrush Mon 18-Mar-13 09:05:22

Mango chutney

PseudoBadger Mon 18-Mar-13 09:10:16

Ahhh yes - juggle them grin

mmmmmchocolate Mon 18-Mar-13 13:09:00

Ha ha badger thanks for that link. Perhaps she had one stuck up her ahem.. Bum...

All I was finding when googling was mango chutney so I'm going to give it a go smile

dairymoo Mon 18-Mar-13 13:13:46

Nigella does a mango & red prawn curry.
Mango salsa (nice with avocado thrown in too) - lovely with fish.
Personally I'd have no problem getting through 4 in a couple of days - mango with yogurt for breakfast, cubed for a snack, in salsa for evening meal. Thrown in a smoothie.....

dairymoo Mon 18-Mar-13 13:14:41

Should say mango & prawn red curry. Not sure what red prawns are....!

chickchickchickenkeeper Mon 18-Mar-13 13:42:39

Sorbet!!

seeker Mon 18-Mar-13 13:44:12

Why can't you go through 4 in the next few days? I could!

I've got a fab recipe for mango chutney if you want it. Warning- you'll never eat bought again!

CelticPromise Mon 18-Mar-13 13:46:33

Jamie Oliver has a recipe for a mango and mint salad, I think with couscous. it's lush.

MooMinCow Mon 18-Mar-13 18:05:52

Chop into cubes then freeze. Good for smoothies/lassi/milkshake. Or purée, freeze then drizzle over ice cream or plain cheesecake smile

multitask Mon 18-Mar-13 18:37:30

Jamie Oliver has a recipe for a mango and mint salad, I think with couscous. it's lush.

Do you have a link for this? Sounds lovely and I have fresh mint and a lovely ripe mango in the fridge smile

I could get through 4 in an evening, happily!

My mango salsa is really nice, with tortilla chips or qaesadillas or on the side of a chilli -
finely chop a red onion, a red pepper, a red chilli. Cube the mango. Mix together. Add lime juice, salt and pepper and lots of fresh coriander (you could shove some mint in too).

Mango lassi is gorgeous - blend mango, natural yoghurt, milk and a bit of icing sugar to taste and serve with lots of ice.

Oh and I have even made a mango crumble before, with ginger and almonds in the crumble mix and stem ginger in with the mango.

joromerofood Mon 18-Mar-13 20:41:31

Just saw this... a rice pudding recipe with mango by Bill Granger: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coconutricepuddingwi_70431 Whenever I have loads of mango I whip up smoothies with it - favourite at the moment (but a bit green and citrussy!) is mango, lime and coriander.

seeker Mon 18-Mar-13 21:05:30

Actually, I don't think anyone who thinks 4 mangoes is too many should be allowed any mangoes........

CelticPromise Mon 18-Mar-13 22:04:05

Sorry multitask only just saw your post, and I've had a quick look and can't find a link right now, will look again tomorrow. I think it might be in Return of the Naked Chef.

CelticPromise Mon 18-Mar-13 22:07:46

mango mint salad

I told a lie, it was Nigel Slater. blush

sashh Tue 19-Mar-13 03:17:24

Another vote for chutney.

mmmmmchocolate Tue 19-Mar-13 14:08:38

I made chutney!! I'm so pleased it looks ace! It tastes really lovely even though the recipe said it needs 8 weeks to mature before eating.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now