NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

I love, love, love cinnamon. Please could you share your best cinnamon recipes with me.

(57 Posts)
EllieArroway Tue 05-Feb-13 07:54:56

Thank you smile

drjohnsonscat Mon 18-Feb-13 21:20:20

We had a Norwegian au pair who used to make us what she called Norwegian porridge. You basically make a white sauce and put it in a cereal bowl with a big,big knob of butter melting in the middle, sprinkle with Demerara and cinnamon. Crunchy, sugary, cinnamony, buttery carb and fat fest. I cannot tell you how delicious it is.

Coconutfeet Mon 18-Feb-13 21:16:23

this is a gorgeous Ottolenghi recipe for cinnamony lentils and rice. A variation on the one on the previous page I think. I always have to make extra onions because I can't stop eating them while I'm preparing it. It's also really cheap to make, so a huge bonus at the end of the month.

SamraLee Mon 18-Feb-13 16:49:17

Cinnnamon tastes great mixed into Hot Chocolate!

EllieArroway Mon 18-Feb-13 15:56:52

Very excited to find Cinnamon Soreen in Morrison's this morning. I thought they'd discontinued it.

piemistress Mon 18-Feb-13 15:38:04

Ooooo marking place

gastrognome Mon 18-Feb-13 15:35:04

I love cinnamon too. Have it sprinkled on my cereal every day. And on cappuccinos.

Also add it by default to any apple based pudding, stewed fruit, etc.

It's lovely added to banoffee pie, too. Just sprinkle it on the bananas before adding the caramel/cream, and then sprinkle more on top of the cream. And if you use crushed up speculoos biscuits for the base, you get a double dose of cinnamon.

It's fantastically good for you, or so I have read.

lisianthus Mon 18-Feb-13 12:04:28

Glad you liked it! It's a bit of a family favourite for us too.

EllieArroway Sat 16-Feb-13 08:09:58

I used green lentils & that worked well. Was lovely - we had it with some pork chops I had that needed using. Really yummy & easy - shall definitely be having it again. Thank you smile

lisianthus Fri 15-Feb-13 23:09:25

Sorry I missed this- can't see why not. The difference will mainly be in how mushy the lentils get. Hope it went well!

EllieArroway Thu 14-Feb-13 16:19:33

That sounds lovely, lisi. And very timely as I'm just sitting here wondering what to cook tonight. I have all those ingredients already - sort of. I have red & green lentils - could I use one of those rather than brown?

lisianthus Thu 14-Feb-13 10:13:05

Do you want a savoury recipe? Half a cup of brown lentils, four onions (sliced), 2 cups rice, chicken stock cube, good teaspoon cinnamon.

Cook the lentils, cook the onions until pretty much caramelised bung them both in with the rice, the cinnamon, the stock cube and approx enough water to come about 1.5 cms above the top of it all. Stick the lid on, bring it to the boil, then simmer for a couple of minutes until you can't see the water above the rice. Switch off the heat, leave the pot there with the lid on for about ten minutes until the water has all been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Add salt and pepper if you like.

Cinnamon is also nice with couscous, lamb and apricots. And you find it in lots of curries.

Where are all the cocktail recipes? grin

DrGarnettsWinterMixture Wed 13-Feb-13 13:17:48

Hummingbird Bakery first book has a gorgeous spiced pound cake recipe-only has about a quarter of a teaspoon of cinnamon in it, but it tastes amazing! Recipe here

As it's pancake day, cinnamon pancakes.

Ithinkineedtogrowapair Tue 12-Feb-13 20:22:59

Hello! I just sprinkle a bit over the top, depending a but on how it goes! Dd you try it?

brighthair Sun 10-Feb-13 15:02:04

They are kind of cinnamony/caramelised flavour - you get them in hotels and stuff sometimes

EllieArroway Sun 10-Feb-13 11:36:10

Are Biscof biscuits/spread cinnamon flavoured?

EllieArroway Sun 10-Feb-13 11:32:47

Oooh - might try the white sauce thing. I love white sauce on cauliflower. Do you sprinkle it on the top or mix it in?

I have a day at home tomorrow, so I'm going to make those snickerdoodle things.

Love that link Arithmeticulous. That lady is bonkers! A ladle???

Ithinkineedtogrowapair Sun 10-Feb-13 01:13:24

I put it in my cauliflower cheese white sauce the other day was v good.

Often fry up a bit of onion, garlic, cinnamon and chickpeas. V simple and v nice.

And yy to putting it in tomato sauce!

Oh and I often put a cinnamon stick in my rice while it's cooking ( along with other spices)

brighthair Sat 09-Feb-13 23:58:25

Not that I'm enabling but the paste link Hazel posted.... Er apparently it's now available in Waitrose
<low carb cinnamon addict exits thread>

Arithmeticulous Fri 08-Feb-13 16:48:06

I know, it's car crash but I get shakey giggles just thinking about it grin

Taffeta Fri 08-Feb-13 14:15:49

Arithmeticulous , that link is hilarious grin

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 08-Feb-13 13:47:20

Also, I don't know if you saw it, but there was an AMAZING programme on C4 or More4, called Spice Trip, where 2 lovely presenters (one chef, one spice blender), visited lovely places to learn about specific spices - where they come from, who grows them and how, and how to use them. One ep was all about cinnamon - 4oD linky here

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 08-Feb-13 13:45:12

You may wish to hunt down, or make, some speculoos biscuits, or even better, paste. Or befriend people in Netherlands/belguim/France, to bring you back some cinnamony goodness.

Arithmeticulous Fri 08-Feb-13 13:29:25
ElleSarcasmo Fri 08-Feb-13 13:26:00

They are like crack. How true!I ate all of mine in one go while my husband looked on in horror.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now