What meals can you make in a hotel room with only a kettle?

(75 Posts)
nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 22-Jan-11 16:24:14

DH staying in a travelodge or premierinn on summink next week.

He needs ideas other than pot noodle.

Apparently there's a tescos nearby.

What would you eat? For 10 days!

canyou Wed 30-Nov-11 19:00:57

Do you have a coffee peculator at home? You can heat tinned casseroles/stews in it, beans etc, poached eggs or fish, We did it when we were in America.
this may help
cooking bacon with an iron

Won Hung Lo Chicken Dinner
Lemon pepper chicken with rosemary rice and steamed vegetables,

Place cut broccoli, or asparagus in the filter basket of the coffee maker. Run water through the coffee maker several time to achieve desired tenderness. The softer the vegetable or the more al’dente the vegetable is served the easier the workload. Asparagus or broccoli is usually 2 runs through, 3 max. Remove, salt lightly and place in plastic bag or tupperware to keep warm.

For the rice, place instant rice in the coffee pot, and rosemary in the filter. Run the appropriate amount of water, per the instructions through the coffee maker and then add the rice to the coffee pot. Leave the burner on until the rice has thoroughly cooked and absorbed most of the water. Remove, and place in another plastic bag or tupperware to keep warm

Melt butter on a piece of tin foil using the coffee stand as a cook top. Once melted, remove and pour into cup. Put two or three thin slices of chicken breast in coffee maker (like one breast sliced evenly into three thin pieces. Add enough water to cover the chicken into the coffee maker. Turn on maker and cook about 15 minutes, allowing water to fully run through and boil the chicken. While the chicken cooks, mix lemon pepper seasoning with melted butter and 3-4 ounces of milk. Drain water and add milk, butter seasoning mix, allow to heat for about a minute.

Is he convinced yet?

SarahsSister Wed 30-Nov-11 18:40:42

M&s ready meals, those involving noodles/rice and fish work best, can be steam cooked over a hotel room kettle.... Takes abt half an hour... Wedge the switch down with a bit of folded tissue.... Love the idea of using an upturned iron,, hadnt thought of that,, the possibilities are endless!!

SuperTheoryofSuperEverything Tue 01-Feb-11 12:59:42
nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 29-Jan-11 21:46:42

He's read the thread and says you can all feel free to drop by some food parcels if you want. grin

IvantaOuiOui Sat 29-Jan-11 16:50:29

He could do a lovely Full English. Straightened bacon, ironed toast, kettle egg, sausage in the cig lighter, hairdryer beans.

Chocolateporridge Fri 28-Jan-11 21:32:40

My father in law once boiled mussels in a hotel kettle. Tasted great but the whole floor stank like fish If you have a slow cooker you could lend it to him and he could bung any kind of meat in it in the morning with maybe a tin of condensed mushroom soup and by the evening he'll have a meal! Will even cook jacket potatoes if you wrap them in foil first - yum!

Trip to the late night supermarket to pick up a ready cooked chicken from the rotisserie counter. With salad/potato salad.

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 28-Jan-11 19:57:44

Anyway, he's home for the weekend so lots of good cooking and then back to the hotel on Sunday for the 2nd week.

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 28-Jan-11 19:56:45

Blu, I can't say for risk of offending. Not a direction I was hoping this thread to go. smile

Blu Fri 28-Jan-11 19:34:33

Where on earth is he? Travelodges aren't usually located anywhere where it isn't safe for a fully grown man to walk the streets to the chippy at 7.30 pm!

majorca77 Fri 28-Jan-11 19:33:24

flavoured couscous with tinned spicy mackerel and a prepared salad. Really tasty and filling

zandy Fri 28-Jan-11 19:30:24

Travelodges often have food.
www.travelodge.co.uk/bar_cafe/

Blu Fri 28-Jan-11 19:16:13

PMSL at a hog roast in the trouser press.

Travelodges have hair dryers - I think if he bought a ready-meal rice dish from tesco and spread it thinly on the plate with a splash of boiling water (to stop it drying out) he could warm it up nicely with sustained application of a hairdryer.

he could do a 3 course meal in his kettle:
Soup
Tinned mince
Rice pudding.

Hairdryered poppadoms on the side.

Where is the travelodge? Is it near any of us? Perhaps we could feed him in exchange for DIY jobs (no, not that sort of DIY job!) grin

purpal Fri 28-Jan-11 18:48:34

Greggs do porrage with golden syrup that you make with boiling water same as pot noodles was 99p each.

PlentyOfParsnips Fri 28-Jan-11 18:29:12

boil-in-the-bag kippers grin

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 28-Jan-11 18:23:40

oh that's nice coolascucumber.

another thread in the round up???? smile

OldMumsy Fri 28-Jan-11 16:39:22

He could do cheese toasties in the corby trouser press grin

coolascucumber Fri 28-Jan-11 15:40:53

Think the choices could be endless with one of these

ecuse Fri 28-Jan-11 15:32:02

Oh, I forgot to mention, you have to drain the pasta using the lid of the tub ...

ecuse Fri 28-Jan-11 15:24:04

I lived in a crappy hotel for 3 months a few years ago on a posting to another office when I was too lowly to qualify for a decent hotel. I could have gone out and expensed it but after a while you get sick of eating on your own in Bella Pasta and want to slump in front of the telly with your dinner on your lap when at home.

I spent the three months perfecting a pasta dish. You need to have a kettle, tupperware & lid. You need to buy fresh pasta, a jar of pesto, some ready-roasted chicken breasts and some spring onions.

You boil the kettle, pop the fresh pasta in the tub and cover with the boiling water and leave for a few minutes (they only need warming, so you don't need it to be ON the boil). I strongly advise against cooking anything other than an egg in a hotel kettle, as they're generally riddled with limescale. Unwelcome crunchy bits in your dinner is very distressing.

Whilst they're warming, shred the chicken breast and chop the spring onions, then stir through the pasta with some pesto (pasta should be warm enough to take the edge off the pesto) and eat. I actually grew to kind of love it.

SylvanianFamily Fri 28-Jan-11 15:01:59

I only had a kettle in uni. My fave recipe:

Fine noodles; put in bowl and pour over boiling water. Drain. Add fresh chopped tomato, flat leaf parsley, ext. virgin olive oil and a bit of salt. Really quite nice.

You could also do cous cous in a similar way (I'd add sweetcorn).

Boiling eggs in the kettle?

kitbit Fri 28-Jan-11 14:54:58

The trouser press offers good all-round warmth I'm sure he could get a hog roast going in there.

Sibella1 Fri 28-Jan-11 13:59:04

When we went to Disneyland Paris we heated our gluwein in the hotel kettle... stained it a bit red though.

nevergoogledragonbutter Thu 27-Jan-11 20:15:39

Yes, a dinner party is the next step.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now