Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why do HV's, cpns say they will call and don't??

(13 Posts)
crazycatlady82 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:14:28

This is very simple - ask for another HV and CPN and you don't need to say why. T is essential you feel you can relate to and trust your health professional otherwise you will never make progress with them

xx

amillionyears Fri 08-Feb-13 22:56:20

The HV's behaviour wasnt good enough. Not ringing back 3 times is not on.
You could ring the surgery and complain if you wanted to and felt up to it.

CPN. I would try ringing again. See what happens.

ReallyTired Fri 08-Feb-13 20:26:05

Are you being visited by either your health visitor or CPN? How much support are you getting generally. It is truely horrific having severe mental illness. I think its hard for anyone who has ever experienced severe depression/ anxiety to realise quite much of an attack on the soul it is.

Transference is a huge problem for many clients. If you become overly dependent on a health professional it can feel like a trauma when the professional relationship ends. I found that listening visits from a health visitor pychologically addictive.

Health professionals have support and training dealing with counter transference, but clients have no help for coping with transference.

Do you have any other emotional support? It is really tough recovering from a crisis.

politics Fri 08-Feb-13 18:41:42

I have been quite depressed lately and this kind of things makes me even lower sad. I was not sure what to say anyway. I am not actively suicidal atm.

amillionyears Fri 08-Feb-13 17:52:40

I am not sure that the 2 things are connected.

You could just have been unlucky.

Do you need a HV now, or the CPN?

politics Fri 08-Feb-13 17:40:43

HV was supposed to call me this week. CPN thing happened couple of weeks ago.

amillionyears Fri 08-Feb-13 17:27:31

Did this all happen recently?

Are you waiting for a call at the moment?

politics Fri 08-Feb-13 17:22:49

She sounded stressed on phone. I had left a message, so she could have called back when not so busy.

amillionyears Fri 08-Feb-13 17:00:34

Dont know about CPNs.
Can you have a different one of those?

Maybe the CPN was already in a bad mood that day which had nothing to do with you?

politics Fri 08-Feb-13 16:54:28

She has forgotten everytime, in three different occasions. She would not be any help but makes me wonder. CPN, on the other hand, told me to call her if there is an emergency. I did that, and she sounded really annoyed and unfriendly.

ReallyTired Fri 08-Feb-13 16:51:57

The health visitor I had with my little girl was brilliant at returning calls. I think that HVs and CPNs are human and with the best will in the world sometimes forget.

I suppose an element depends on how demanding a client is and whether the health professional is trying to wean you off support. However it would be better if they were open with you if that is what they want to do. A good health professional will help you find alternative support rather than leave you in limbo.

amillionyears Fri 08-Feb-13 16:24:03

Maybe it is your HV?

Can you choose to have a different one?

politics Fri 08-Feb-13 11:08:14

I have never received a call when promised one by HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now