Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Emetophobia- new thread as other was full, all welcome.

(327 Posts)
Marne Sun 23-Dec-12 13:45:56

Hope you all manage to find this smile, i just used up the last post on the other thread.

spacechimp Wed 06-Mar-13 13:27:27

This is why I don't know if I can face starting the whole therapy process again. I've had therapy twice in the past, for several months each time, and also tried hypnotherapy, which didn't really work. The second lot of therapy was when the therapist refused me CBT. I suppose we did end up being a bit flexible with approaches, and it worked to some extent, but was really health anxiety focused rather than to deal with emet.

YY to my phobia evolving to a noro phobia rather than general, and to being scared of things happening now as well as things that might happen. If I'm around someone v* and know it's not contagious I am almost relaxed, but the thought of going round to see friends with sickly dcs with another friend and her dcs added into the mix is freaking me out. Last weekend we met in a neutral venue which was easier, but there's no escape from someone's house. This friend is not big on hand washing either, which makes it worse.

The work colleague off yesterday after v* is off again today, and phoned to say she was still ill and wouldn't come in tomorrow either. This means it must be noro, and it's a relief that she's not returning to work tomorrow. It would be great if she stayed at home on Friday too and came back on Monday fully recovered

My issues go back a long way. Think they probably started when I was around 6, too, and I'm now 38. My mum always reacted in an extreme way to me and my sister v* or having a d&v bug, and it was all very stressful. My dad was seriously ill around the same time, and so it must have been traumatic for my mum, but her worries got projected onto us, particularly around illness. I think I must have been an anxious and worried child and remember clearly being in tears in the playground at around 6 worried that I was going to catch chicken pox, and feeling like it would have been the end of the world sad. I had full on OCD from 9-18, and then managed to get a grip on it and am mostly ok, but it really triggers when there is noro around, which seems like all year now, virtually!

Alexle, I think that sounds really traumatic, especially being woken up by someone v* in the same room. I'd be really interested to hear about EMDR if you go ahead with it. Tallulah, I agree that emetophobia is one of the more rational phobias, and that's probably my trouble too. I see fear of v* as perfectly reasonable. I almost wish I did have a fear of postboxes instead of this.

Devil, I hope all is well now now, and it sounds as though the Motilium really worked. BB, I hope all is well with you, too. Sorry for this mammoth post. I know it's rubbish that we all struggle with this phobia, but reading this thread has helped me to feel a bit less alone with it

newstartnewday Thu 07-Mar-13 15:54:08

can you pls help me? Sorry if not writing properly but not feeling well.

Have posted on these threads in teh past but not feeling up to changing my name back to whatever it was..

Please could you tell me if you think I might be .. (that thing we hate).

Last night ds2 was sick once. Said he had a tummy ache earlier in the evening and didn't eat supper but otherwise pretty fine before and after.

A few hours later ds1 woke up and was sick. Was a few times but not a massive amount. He was in more pain and felt more nauseous. still same this morning but seems better this afternoon.

Now I have been feeling extremely tired (unusually so) in the last few hours, and also feel bloated, tummy making strange sounds and feel a bit nauseous. Not terribly so yet but enough to make me not want to have a conversation with anyone..

I am quite a severe emetophobe and am now a single parent to 3 young dcs.. don't know how I'm going to cope if I am properly ill.

Do you think I will definitely v, or maybe not? I haven't since I was a child (now in my 30s)..

devilinside Thu 07-Mar-13 16:53:30

Hi, have you eaten? I found that at the first signs of a tummy bug if I avoid eating, and don't drink anything either,(not even a sip of water) I usually avoid v'ing.

If you have eaten, I would suggest heading to the pharmacy and getting yourself some Motilium, double quick. It works! see my post above

Marne Thu 07-Mar-13 20:28:00

I agree with devil, go to the chemist, motilium has worked for me a few times, it's great stuff. You might just be tired because you were up in the night and your anxious?

corblimeymadam Thu 07-Mar-13 20:30:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tallulahturtle Thu 07-Mar-13 23:16:51

This motillium. What is it exactly ? And can you just ask for it at chemist , or do they quiz you ?

newstartnewday Fri 08-Mar-13 00:53:27

Thanks everyone - sorry didn't update earlier, was feeling weak and tired and not even up to logging in on my phone..

Thanks devilinside, I already have Motilium in the house in case of emergencies! although I think I've only taken it once as rarely feel like this.

Thankfully I think (hope!) that that was the worst of it.. didn't even take the motilium, just basically sat quietly, finally got a friend over to take care of the dcs and then I had a sleep. I still have a stomach ache, and a headache which is probably caused by lack of food, drink and sleep, and feel a bit shaky but i think that hopefully the worst is over and I didn't feel that awful dreaded feeling.

Also devil I did not eat anything today, other than a tiny biscuit and a couple of rice cakes just now so that could be why I avoided it.. ! I always take the cautious approach smile

night everyone x

Marne Fri 08-Mar-13 09:20:46

Tulu

Marne Fri 08-Mar-13 09:23:19

Oops
Tullu ,you can get it from boots, no questions asked.

Took dd2 into school today to be greater by her TA who told me she was feeling poorly but thought she would come in as she has lots to do with dd today, she said she felt sick sad I would rather she had stayed away as now I'm going to be anxious all weekend about dd getting ill if it is a bug, why don't people think?

devilinside Fri 08-Mar-13 09:56:40

glad you're over the worst, newstart. You will probably feel crap today (slightly fluey) and my headache lasted all weekend. The not-eating definitely works, but last week I had no choice but to take the Motilium as my stomach didn't start feeling weird until after I'd eaten my dinner.

You can also buy Motilium on Amazon for those who have 'issues' with face to face communication (ie me!)

Marne, hope your TA is ok, didn't she already have noro? in which case, she will be immune for 3 months

Marne Fri 08-Mar-13 10:09:45

I'm not sure if she had noro, her dc's did but not sure if she had it too or if she was just off because of her children being ill sad, her family always seems to be ill. I am hoping that she is sent home and someone else can cover her to work with dd2, she did look pale sad..

devilinside Fri 08-Mar-13 10:26:37

Fingers crossed they send her home ASAP!

Marne Fri 08-Mar-13 13:10:28

I drove past the school this morning and her car wasn't there so am hoping she went home, i would rather dd2 was without a TA than risk her getting sick (how bad is that?) sad.

NeedsANewKitchen Fri 08-Mar-13 23:01:25

Hello, I have been lurking on this thread for a while as I also suffer with awful emetophobia. I've never felt that I have anything worthwhile to contribute as I feel a million miles away from having this under control.

I'm posting now as I'm in desperate need of some help. My DD (3) has been sick three times in the last hour, and I'm sure there is more to come. In my mind there's no doubt it's a bug, and now I'm worried about my 11 month old, DH and me getting it too. This is my hell - the waiting for everyone to be ill. DH is brilliant - he's looking after DD and she is happily watching her favourite film, it's me who is rubbish at this.

Please, does anyone have any advice, both for now in the short term, and what I can do about this in the future? What can I do to make DD feel better? How long will it last? I just can't think straight.

Thank you for any help.

corblimeymadam Sat 09-Mar-13 07:07:28

NeedsANewKitchen Sat 09-Mar-13 08:44:34

Thank you for the kind and helpful response. She does appear to be over the worst, she's just asked what's for breakfast!

I've been washing and cleaning this morning. I'll look at some of the things you use as I also want to know it's properly dealt with, especially with a crawling baby around.

For now though I'll try and hope that none of the rest of us catch it, and try and force myself to eat something.

Thanks again thanks

corblimeymadam Sun 10-Mar-13 09:51:30

I hate this phobia. On Monday at college my tutor said 'I had the dreaded bug yesterday' and later he apologised for his tummy making noises as it was 'recovering'. So I sent the whole of last week worrying I was going to pick it up as he clearly hadn't followed the 48-hour rule! I was fine. Now DS2 has stomach ache and my first thought is 'oh my god no' (not related to first bit here) but I just want a break from worrying. We have been so lucky touch huge wooden table that we've managed to get through this winter despite norovirus and the school having a terrible tummy bug go through it in December. But the worry is kind of worse than the reality sometimes.

corblimeymadam Sun 10-Mar-13 10:41:41

newstartnewday Thu 14-Mar-13 22:06:06

Evening all- I'm back again..

DS2 has now come down with diarrohea (however you spell it!)

I had to pick him up from school early - poor boy was really not well. Has had quite a few d incidents today, but no v / stomach aches really - just doesn't feel well. He has been eating apples, crackers and plain biscuits all day (I tried to stop him but he's only 3 so it's hard for him to understand). Didn't seem to make anything worse, so far.

DS1 now says he's not feeling well too. Gave him calpol and he's gone to sleep.

Does this sound like just a case of d? Or in your experience will v follow?

Obviously I have been enforcing / using a lot of dettol, handwasing etc.!

newstartnewday Thu 14-Mar-13 22:07:46

btw thanks belgianbun! I do feel like I'm handling things quite well so far .. not easy being a single parent of 3 with this phobia.

Dancergirl Fri 15-Mar-13 07:59:56

belgianbun how do you know if the Purell is the right one? I can only see one type of Purell on the Selles website and I couldn't see VF481 on it.

roundabout1 Fri 15-Mar-13 15:17:29

Help - dd1 (has an ongoing illness) felt poorly this morning & looked like she does when "normally" ill, has been off school, sleepy (never happens) & not eating (again never happens) & a temp & about half an hour ago was sick. I am panicking, its my birthday on monday & I we have lots of things planned over the weekend which look like they will have to be cancelled. I am trying to convince myself that it could be because of the temp, she has been complaining of feeling dizzy & a bad headache but not sick until she was sick - just after having a large drink of water. I've already convinced myself that dd2 will have it followed by the rest of the family.

roundabout1 Fri 15-Mar-13 16:42:36

just been sick againsad

MotheringShites Fri 15-Mar-13 19:49:08

Is anyone around? I've lurked here for a while but never posted.

DS2 has Vd twice this evening. My mum came to help but she's had to leave and I'm alone with sick DC (who is sleeping atm) and two others. I'm terrified. Literally sitting on my bed, frozen.

DH is out with no phone signal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now