Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Could my Nuvaring be making me really anxious?

(9 Posts)
curlypoo Mon 26-Nov-12 04:08:19

Well I have an appointment today with the lovely nurse who issued the contraception to me. I have actually been up for hours with quite intense anxiety so I have asked my DH to come with me to explain. I just feel completely off my head at the mo. and need to get this sorted. I have taken the ring out now as I know it is related to me feeling so anxious. FFS, they can put man on the moon but using birth control can just ruin everything. I cannot believe how bad I feel.

BornSour Sun 25-Nov-12 22:41:40

Implants and mirena's etc send me loopy (not that I need any help with that. Thanks Brain), so it could well be that its affecting you.

They really suit some people, but have a really strong effect on others and it sounds like you could be one of them.

The only hormonal contraceptive that hasn't had a bad effect is cerazette which is a mini-pill, but one that it doens't matter if you don't always take it on time.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sun 25-Nov-12 22:01:50

Mini pill? I think it's the oestrogen that makes people go a bit loopy, I don't personally know anyone who has been like this with a POP.

Ring is easier on paper, I think it just doesn't suit some people.

curlypoo Sun 25-Nov-12 21:59:18

I am oldish now and have heavy periods so not sure the copper coil would be any good for me. It is so hard to find the right thing as I really feel like I should avoid anything hormonal - I feel like a mad cow! On paper the ring is easier, a friend of mine used it with great success for years before having her son and after his birth it no longer worked for her, she was fine emotionally on it though.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sun 25-Nov-12 21:47:36

The copper coil? It has no hormones. Or mini pill? I took cerazette and that was fine with me, I wish I had just stuck to that but thought the ring would be easier and accident proof. hmm

curlypoo Sun 25-Nov-12 21:44:18

I have had a mirena in the past and my body actually chucked it out one one occasion an I had the second removed as I did feel loopy. I just assumed the amounts of hormones were so low that it would be fine. I have no idea where to go with contraception now, this seemed like an ideal answer for me and DH. Guted but I really do think I am going a bit potty on it.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sun 25-Nov-12 21:38:48

I'm pretty sure the hormones can do all sorts of things to different people. The implant made me go a bit loopy, didn't experience this on the Nuvaring but have just found out I am pregnant while using it correctly. hmm So I am guessing the hormones didn't work on me properly.

Crawling Sun 25-Nov-12 21:26:38

I can't take hormone contraception as it effects my mood it makes me depressed and anxious so it could be causing your anxiety.

curlypoo Sun 25-Nov-12 21:05:07

OK, so I am in my 3rd month of using this contraception and I have been feeling increasingly anxious. I am a worrier anyway but it seems to have gotten really out of control and my mood is really changeable and I cannot seem to get a grip of things. I have also started waking very early but mainly the anxiety and fear is becoming, at times, overwhelming. I have started dreading my husband going anywhere (he works in London and is out of the house 13 hours a day so that has been fun!). The only time I have been this anxious is when my first marriage broke up incredibly acrimoniously, my Ex was a violent person so I was actually very frightened for me and my DCs at the time, what I am trying to say is that I had good reason to feel those feelings.

Now I have a lovely life, a lot of children and things are busy but I really am sure I am not depressed. I feel like a emotional nutter and I just seem to be all over the place and feeling fearful. My DH pointed out to me that since using the nuvaring I have been emotionally really different so I just wondered. Is it just me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now