Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Dp sick of MY pychotic depression

(9 Posts)
Crawling Mon 26-Nov-12 08:49:51

I can see his point he hasn't asked me to stop feeding he just told me how hard and stressful he is finding it. I was the one who thought maybe it was time to stop for his sake. Thanks all you have helped me clearmy thoughts up.

You've done brilliantly coping for a year with all your problems.

A lot of mums don't last that long so please don't feel you are letting baby down - you have given her a brilliant start in life.

Now though you need to concentrate on getting YOU better and therefore in a better place to be the best mum you can be. If along the way that improves your relationship with your DP then that's a real bonus as that will help your self -esteem & be a support to you.

Good luck.

BornSour Sun 25-Nov-12 22:15:47

Its a real balancing act isn't it and I can see it from both sides here. Feeding is important to you and having a partner who is mentally well is important to him. I know how hard it is for my DH to cope when I have a long episode of ill health.

As your DC gets older and more active, it will be better for them to have a mum who is mentally well, less depressed and not psychotic, than one who is feeding them, but is poorly. Maybe its time to think about moving on from feeding them and taking more meds to get you our of this depression.

thornbirds Sun 25-Nov-12 18:17:51

I could not take even sertraline without being afraid. I have been on so many different kind of meds and got some many side effects from fainting suddenly to having spasms on my face, that there is absolutely no way I would take anything. During my pregnancy I was on AD's for two days but I got so anxious that i had to stop.

But I think you should give your patient partner a break and stop breastfeeding. It must have been very hard for him and he stand by you. Now it is your turn.

Crawling Sun 25-Nov-12 18:04:51

Thornbirds i was very anxious about feeding on meds but once i started i felt less anxious plus i have a great relationship with my psychiatrist and even when he prescribed the anti psych (olanzapine) i trusted him enough to take it as I've known him a while now.

Crawling Sun 25-Nov-12 18:00:53

I don't want to stop feeding as its important to me but i wonder if im being fair im coping well and day to day im able to do all the things i need to do but it is hard on Dp.

thornbirds Sun 25-Nov-12 17:59:18

I am impressed that you could breastfeed for a year!

I have mood swings but my diagnosis in unclear. I am also breastfeeding but planning to stop, because I need medication. I am so afraid of medicines hurting the baby that there is no way I could breastfeed on them. I have been treatment resistant in my past, so there is only one medicine that has helped a little, and on that you can't breasfeed at all, anyway. My symptoms sound minor to yours but I just can't take them anymore. I planned to brastfeed for a year but now it is going to be five months.

NatashaBee Sun 25-Nov-12 17:53:20

Do you want to stop BF and up the doses because YOU want to, or because your partner wants you to?

You have done amazingly well to keep BF this long, especially with the added hurdle of managing your meds and your depression.

Crawling Sun 25-Nov-12 17:50:02

I have bipolar type 1 and since dds birth just over a year ago i have been pychotic and depressed pychiatrist is giving me the maximum amount of meds he is willing to while i am breastfeeding 10mgolanzapine 30seroxat and 50trazodone and while its stoping me hitting dangerous levels and greatly reducing my symptoms im still feeling some.

Mostly lack of sex drive or interest in anything reduced sleep negative thoughts minor hallucinations increased appetite and crying in the evenings. I don't blame him its been a year now think it might be time to stop feeding so i can have a higher dose of med. Dp started crying saying its really hard for him and i know its hard for him and im sad it hurts him so much to see me suffering..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now