Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Could someone hold my hand for a minute please?

(37 Posts)

I'm on my own and it would mean a lot to have a virtual hand to hold for a minute.

Trying to prepare for my PhD viva which is on Monday. I have a crying 10 week old baby, a 2 year old and a 4 year old. My DH is in Afganistan. The students next door are having a loud party - bass is thudding through the wall and people are shouting outside. I'm trying to think clearly and analytically having had about 2 hours sleep in 72 hours, but I am so tired that I keep bursting into tears.

Any encouragement or empathy would be lovely. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post, and sorry for the pity party. People keep blithely saying "I don't know how you do it!" re: kids, degree, job, army etc. etc. and I just want to shout at them that I have no f*cking choice but it doesn't make it easy sad

HappyTurquoise Mon 19-Nov-12 19:45:58

:D Hope it went well today, and you are catching up on some sleep!

Allalonenow Mon 19-Nov-12 20:59:59

Hope it all went well for you, and the VC has taken you out to dinner!!
Best wishes for your future.

Pass with minor corrections! V relieved. No champagne here, was cooking dinner but celebrated with some scrummy M&S biscuits and a big cup of tea.

Thank you so much for all the lovely encouragement, it gave me a much needed injection of confidence when I couldn't find any myself.

This will sound strange but I really enjoyed it once I got into it - yes it was hard but it was lovely to get opinions and guidance from two senior academics. I came out feeling like I'd learned a lot and debated competently.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's so nice to be done.

Allalonenow Mon 19-Nov-12 21:18:12

Oh very well done!! Congratulations, I'm so delighted for you Dr. Frozen.

mignonette Mon 19-Nov-12 21:20:23

Dr Dr Dr!

Well done!

TheNameisNOTZiggy Mon 19-Nov-12 21:25:51

Excellent news. Well done Dr. An inspiration to the rest of us. Hope you get some bubbles to celebrate soon. wine

HappyTurquoise Mon 19-Nov-12 22:44:32

Fantastic! Well done, and am so glad you enjoyed your viva and got to have fun & debate too, no less. brew

Thank you! grin thanks

ChippingInLovesAutumn Tue 20-Nov-12 00:00:29

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS grin

A little time to relax & enjoy life now??

Great news! smile

AlreadyScone Tue 20-Nov-12 12:04:50

Congratulations! There now, if ever you are in a tricky patch in the future you can look back at this thread and say "well I got through that!"

BlueGuinefort Tue 20-Nov-12 12:09:43

Congrats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now