Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Just taken first propranolol, don't know what to expect

(16 Posts)
sweetkitty Thu 15-Nov-12 17:09:27

Anxiety is really bad just now, spoke to GP who prescribed propranolol, once a day long acting. I have a constant pain in my chest and feel sick so am hoping it does something for it. Am a bit scared too, took one an hour ago as I don't need to go back out or drive tonight, driving is a major anxiety trigger for me (as well as going out in general).

Just wondered who else had taken it and had it helped?

Charleebird Thu 15-Nov-12 17:34:40

Im on them and to b honest they dont do anything. I atill get the butterflies in my tummy. Im on diazepam now which is lots better.

It may be ok with you i suppose everyones different xx

Good luck smile

I've been on them 2 years, they are bloody brilliant! I live pretty anxiety free due to them! (and overuse exclamation marks!!! apparently!!!)

they work by preventing your body reacting to adrenaline, so you don't get that panic-y, scared feeling.

Scheherezade Thu 15-Nov-12 20:39:45

To be fair, to know they're working, you shouldn't be expecting anything. Propranolol should stop a racing heart.

Corygal Thu 15-Nov-12 20:43:09

They're great - they calm you down through your body, not your brain like ADs. So you won't feel much different (I know this may be a mixed blessing) but you keep a clear head and you will feel the difference after a couple of days.

sweetkitty Thu 15-Nov-12 21:39:54

DP has gone out tonight usually a cause for major anxiety and it still is no difference. Still have panicky heart and chest, feel sick etc sad

LulaBear Fri 16-Nov-12 03:07:08

To me, Propanalol works best with other meds. It brought my anxiety down about 50%, with diazepam doing the rest. It helps smile

brighthair Fri 16-Nov-12 03:14:29

I take citalopram and propranolol 10mg of each (I was on 30mg of prop) and my anxiety/panic I would say is now 95% controlled. I get the odd one, but now I kind of go "oooooh hello panic!" And carry on. I've almost made a joke out of it which I couldn't imagine doing 2 years ago
I hope it improves for you

sweetkitty Fri 16-Nov-12 16:09:01

Thanks I was on citalopram for a while last year, felt that it wasn't helping though. Today has been hard, we're having building work done and it is stressing me out no end. Haven't really felt any different sad

brighthair Fri 16-Nov-12 16:58:25

Just seen about driving and going out. My triggers were similar, more things I couldn't "escape" from like motorways, traffic jams and crowded places. How many mg of propranolol are you on? You may need to have a higher dose to start with, don't be afraid to go back if it doesn't work. Have you had any CBT?

sailorsgal Fri 16-Nov-12 17:00:36

I would try EFT. Emotional Freedom Therapy. You learn to tap on certain points and repeat phrases. Its best learn't from a therapist but would be happy to email my handouts to you and you could change the phrasing to suit. Also you need to learn to breathe properly which helps with the panicky feeling. I can send you some info on that too. smile

Can you run yourself a bubble bath or do something nice for yourself?

redadmiralsinthegarden Fri 16-Nov-12 17:02:17

10mg does nothing for me. what dose are you on?

sweetkitty Fri 16-Nov-12 17:06:16

I've been given half-inderal 80 mg, I think it's the long lasting one.

I've had a migraine the past 2 days as well, been taking cocodamol, I have try tans in the cupboard but both packets say consult your GP before taking both together. She prescribed them at the same time, maybe she didn't know?

I'm feeling terrible just now.

sailorsgal Fri 16-Nov-12 17:25:11

I think they are slow release that you have been given. Have you eaten? Try to eat low glycemic and avoid stimulants such as coffee, tea, chocolate etc. Also do some abdominal breathing and slowly lengthen the exhalation. Lie on the floor. Breathe in and out of the nose.

Charleebird Fri 16-Nov-12 17:44:06

Im on 40mg three times a day and it only really helps me with diazepam taken at the same time. Feel relaxed. However it doesnt stop all the thoughts in your head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now