Couch to 5k- We do run run run, we do run run!

(973 Posts)

A thread for anyone thinking of starting, doing or completed the c25k plan!

The last thread had so many new people starting and working through the plan it was lovely. As well as those who had finished and working towards faster times or greater distances. Everyone welcome no matter age, fitness or ability.

Join us for lots of support, advice and gentle butt kicking of required wink

Old Thread

scarecrow22 Fri 16-Aug-13 19:08:17

BIWI I listened on R5 as our web down and we have internet tv [grrrr] at Virgin! Amazing. Just amazing.

Farrah used to train in local park and did our park run. He always waved at other runners however plodding to greet them as fellow athletes. Really lovely seeming man and incredible gutsy beautiful runner.

DramaAlpaca Fri 16-Aug-13 19:12:58

BIWI and scarecrow I watched Farah's race - he was amazing as usual, tactically very astute. Since starting C25K I can now appreciate just how fast he actually runs! Incredible stuff.

BIWI Fri 16-Aug-13 19:23:19

It was watching him accelerate at the end which I just thought was truly amazing. What an athlete. I really appreciate his talent now I've started running.

Bakingtins Fri 16-Aug-13 19:27:37

Well obviously we're not far off his pace.... grin

9k in 55 mins is good going FoundAChopinLizt!

I'm in awe of all athletes, their commitment is amazing and to have a body and mind able to compete at that level must be fantastic. And to be fair I'd be ecstatic to run a 23min 5k let alone 13!!!!

BIWI Fri 16-Aug-13 21:40:54

I may have to try and channel Mo when I do my next run ...

grin

CounselorTroi Fri 16-Aug-13 23:36:04

Go Mo.

Does running on a treadmill burn te same level of calories as road running? My DH says no.

Totally depends on how high your heart rate is I would ha e thought.

nextphase Sat 17-Aug-13 10:41:03

5km on a flat treadmill, I would have thought burns less calories than 5km over rough ground, up and down hills, against the wind.

5km on a treadmill set at a tough incline v a well made track along a canal, with no dog walkers, and the treadmill probably burns more calories.

It all burns more calories than sitting on the couch!

Think Mo might have methods for controlling Chimps to share with us?

I've got a decision to make. Went swimming last night, and did OK but slow. So, do I get the trainers out for the first time in 2 weeks, or wait til next w/e when DH gets back? V tempted to go for a gentle jog, but worried its going to knock me back again - still not right....

BIWI Sat 17-Aug-13 10:41:22

Why wouldn't it? Why does your DH say that?

scarecrow22 Sat 17-Aug-13 10:46:51

Counselor your DH might also be referring to the rule of thumb that to approximately mimic running outside you should run on treadmill at incline of approx 1-1.5%?

Am feeling fantastic after pushing hard today ( for me, not Mo grin) for w8r2. Last 5 mins was tough but only slowed a little for 2 mins and then picked up again. Just measured route on map my run and was 5km (and 4m!) Coincidence but happy. (A reminder that I am not new to running but have not run a lot since found i was pg with dd 3 yrs ago, and am tall, so have advantages.) Won't be able to repeat every time yet, but a good motivator.

Loving cooler weather < killjoy emoticon>

scarecrow22 Sat 17-Aug-13 10:50:09

X posted * nextphase* - maybe do a half run, half walk, or run as slowly as possible? Or walk the 5m warm up and then take a call on how you feel, and again after 5 or 10 mins run. cant remember where you are in prog but maybe knock 5m off time would do otherwise?

Good luck and take care.

watchingout Sat 17-Aug-13 11:32:21

Congratulations Scarecrow! 5k - yay!! grin

Nextphase - how about a little run, or intervals again? You don't have to do 30 mins or 5k, be kind to yourself!

I should be back out there tomorrow, I hope. Never run on a Sunday before shock for no other reason than CBA...

Bakingnovice Sat 17-Aug-13 13:55:41

Well done everyone! Next - I would try a gentle jog and see how you feel.

I did my first park run today! 5 hours later I'm still emotional. It took me about 45 mins which means my TM running must be kmp and not mph as I thought. Can someone please advise me how to get up to 5k running as I'm not there yet? Do I just add a few minutes every week? Also which headphones are good but not too expensive. In ear ones just won't stay put!

I can't wait to park run next week but am also scared too. I'm really stiff today and I don't often get stiff using the TM. Can't believe all this time I thought I was hitting 5k when really it was more like 3.2 k!

watchingout Sat 17-Aug-13 15:40:02

Well done baking - its quite scary going out with others isnt it? I've only done a "funrun" not managed a park run yet, although I've registered...

I just kept adding a bit further each outing - to the bus stop, to the next corner/bench etc. So I guess if you are on a TM then you just have to add minutes. Are you able to get outside to run? I find the distraction of whats around quite useful.

I got these earphones so they stay hooked in/on my ears. Can't get on with the bud type in normal life, let alone bouncing all over the place...

Well done scarecrow22 and bakingnovice that's great for both of you! I would suggest just running whatever you feel you can extra each time. One of the coaches at my club always suggests adding 5 mins at a time and if you can 5 mins past your finish point then you have to at least attempt 5 mins back wink. Parkrun is such a lovely event, so friendly and welcoming. I did my second turn as rd this week and it went well, was ladies day so most volunteers were women.

No advice on earphones as I use the ones from my iPhone and have cut off one as I don't like running with both in. Quite a few people I've seen at parkrun have headphones with bits round the back of their ears but have no idea where you'd get them!

EeTraceyluv Sat 17-Aug-13 17:11:33

I've kind of swerved from the 'proper' programme a bit. I still have the app on but I am running as long as I can almost ignoring matey boy in the background and pausing when I really really need to . Last night, I ran for 27 minutes with one 2 minute break and one 3 minute break. I know it's not following it to the letter but I actually feel I'm still doing ok. Am a bit p'd off though as I appear to have Athletes Feet sad Have got the cream and am being v careful but the itching - arghhhhhh...

Bakingtins Sat 17-Aug-13 17:21:13

Congrats Scarecrow and Bakingnovice!

nextphase Sat 17-Aug-13 19:15:48

EhTracey
Having battled Athletes foot long before I became an athlete, can I suggest: hot wash your socks, if your feet are still damp after a shower, blow the hair-dryer over them on a cool/warm setting, tee tree oil for the bits between your toes, and maybe even the glamorous screwed up tissue paper between them as if you were painting your toes. You are supposed to powder your shoes also, but I never have.

If its something new since taking up running, might be worth looking at the socks you run in? I'm currently running in these, as they felt to have the most cotton and were wicking when I went into sports direct!!

OK, going to try a there and back, and just see how I go! Think I'll go mad if I don't get out soon - can't beleive I miss it, but glad I graduated before bring hit for 6. Hope the rest of you don't get whatever's going round.

EeTraceyluv Sat 17-Aug-13 21:29:58

I've never had it before - was thinking it must be the shoes and socks making my feet hot and sweaty sad Will check out those socks. Thanks smile

WannaBeCareerWoman Sat 17-Aug-13 22:22:16

Hi guys, I am thinking of starting this plan - it sounds really good but I am wondering if I am too fat. My BMI is 31. Are there any other large runners out there?

DramaAlpaca Sat 17-Aug-13 22:33:48

Well done scarecrow & Bakingnovice.

eeTracey I feel for you with the athletes foot, I've had it & it's unbearably itchy. Make sure you keep using the cream for a week after all symptoms have gone or it might come back. I thought I was getting it again recently, but sprinkled some athletes foot powder between my toes morning & night for a few days & it seems to have nipped it in the bud. Also agree with nextphase that tea tree oil works well to treat it.

I completed W8 this evening, yay!! The chimp was playing up before I went out & it took DH & DS1 to practically bully me off the couch, but I'm glad they made me go & I'm feeling good now.

The chimp didn't bother me when I was running, I felt very comfortable & I could've run for another few minutes, so W9 holds no fear for me now. I never thought I would ever say that! So only three more runs to graduation...

purplewithred Sat 17-Aug-13 22:40:54

I graduated today. Still feeling ecstatic hours later.

DramaAlpaca Sat 17-Aug-13 22:55:25

Many congratulations purplewithred, well done you!

CounselorTroi Sat 17-Aug-13 23:01:42

Congrats Scarecrow and Bakingnovice and purplewithred

WannaBeCareerWoman mine was 30 when I started. I went to the GP and got checked before I started. I'm asthmatic so needed to be careful!

BIWI DH has an A level in biology so thinks he knows EVERYTHING about the inner working of the human body.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now