Confused.com - orley farm/radlett prep or quainton hall??

(19 Posts)
tiku Tue 29-Jan-13 00:02:27

Dear peeps,

Am very confused - my son has had offers from radlett prep, orley farm and quainton hall for reception entry. Any thoughts and guidance will be much appreciated......

UNSURE1234567 Tue 29-Jan-13 23:18:04

We are really struggling to decide between Orley Farm and Radlett for our son as well. have you had any further thoughts??

GinandJag Wed 30-Jan-13 17:57:11

The head at Orley Farm is lovely. He is very committed to his role, and will make sure that all children go to the appropriate senior school for them.

mumteacher Wed 30-Jan-13 23:29:17

Think a little long term look at where the children move on to for senior school and see if that fits in with what you want for your child.

Quainton hall over orley farm - nooooo! (IMO)

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 31-Jan-13 14:52:58

Boy or girl?

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 31-Jan-13 14:53:41

(Sorry - directed at 123456)

PrepNoMore Thu 31-Jan-13 15:53:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

timmytoes Thu 31-Jan-13 20:50:10

My nephew has just finished Radlett prep. All in all his parents felt he had a great education and I know he really enjoyed it. Given its location the school is about 1 third Asian, 1 third White and 1 third Jewish with all the Jewish holidays celebrated. My sister in law is all for ethnic mixes , she her self is non-white but certainly early on my nephew did become somewhat confused over his ethnic background given the strong bias . Not a negative but something to be aware of.

sjani Mon 04-Feb-13 12:10:31

Hi Prepnomore,

Thanks for your detailed review about Orley Farm.

My son too received offers from both Orley Farm and Quainton Hall and it helps to have some real reviews from parents who are associated with school.

Tiku / Unsure1234567,

I believe the deadline for Orley farm was 31st Jan. Have you opted for any school?

PrepNoMore Thu 28-Feb-13 08:51:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ScholarshipClass Fri 15-Mar-13 12:26:22

Dear PrepnoMore,
It sounds like you have had some issues with this school but please do not let it tarnish it for everybody else. We have been at Orley Farm for many years. The teachers are fantastic, smiling, happy and can't do enough to help.The same with all the teams including the ground staff, caterers, medical team and office staff. There is a huge family feeling which has been there for many years. The pre-prep staff are fabulous. They are smiling from the time that they greet your child in the morning to when they give them back to you in the afternoon. This follows throughout the school. The gates have gone up in the school to give more security, this is the same throughout many schools. The teachers and senior staff are very accessible and you can set up a meeting almost with immediacy. The diary report, is a very valuable asset, which is weekly and you get to know how well your child frequently. I have visited many schools and not one has had such a regular feedback system with regards to grading. I have never experienced bad feeling around the school anywhere. There are always happy smiling faces from both staff and children. My children love it there and it has been very difficult for us to find a senior school that we felt the same way about. My oldest, when they left, said the food in particular, never compared to this school. The food is superb. My children have not experienced the language that you have discussed. The drive by system is essential for traffic as the parking is very limited on the private road outside the school. I would urge you to find a better system. It has been well thought out and put in place over many years. I have never found it problem getting through to the bursary, but I must admit I email so have never experienced the phone system.
In short, this school is the best prep school that I have seen in a few miles. To any new potential parent, please come and see our school and make up your own mind. The parents at this school are very friendly and many have made friends for life. I know, from speaking to many parents at the school, that I speak for the majority. I was very upset to see that review and felt compelled to give you another prospective.

bonkersboo Fri 14-Jun-13 20:21:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hersheykiss Sun 26-Jan-14 10:38:21

Resurrecting this rather than creating a new thread. Need advice from you lovely mums smile

DS has just received offers from Orley Farm and Quainton Hall. We are torn as they both seem great and I am sure he will be happy at either one.

What I would love to hear about is which one would be better in getting him into a fantastic secondary school. Thoughts? Thanks.

workingmum10 Sun 26-Jan-14 11:20:06

Not sure if OF is the best place for a girl , I have a boy and a girl there.They are both very young still but have heard that they do not tutor girls for 11+ and as a consequence lots of children have tutors, which IMHO is outrageous considering the fees!
The school has great facilities ie sports grounds etc... and pre prep has some great teachers.
The new head seems to be good , only time will tell!
A little on the fence still and have heard a few children are trying 7+ and 8+ exams to get their children out.

workingmum10 Sun 26-Jan-14 11:25:15

Sorry I should have also said that my two enjoy going to school and have never had one day when they have said they didn't want to go !!!
The music teacher is also exceptional and the end of year productions are very good .

Hersheykiss Sun 26-Jan-14 18:42:11

Thanks workingmum10 for your thoughts! It's good to hear that your children enjoy school so that has to be a good thing.

Out of interest, where are the other parents are trying to get their children into for 7+ and 8+ instead of OF?

Does anyone know how OF compares with QH now? Thanks all.

jin220 Sun 26-Jan-14 23:33:20

@Hersheykiss - We considered Quainton Hall for our DS. DH was really impressed, especially with the indoor swimming pool. We had arranged a private visit on a school day so we got to observe the classes in session and we were happy with what we saw. The children in pre-prep were active and engaged. Always a good sign.

Mr. Brown the headmaster was very approachable, seemed to have a good handle on things and the school seemed to be in good hands in general. Also liked the fact that though QH is a christian school, pupils are taught to respect all faith traditions of fellow pupils.

Venus33 Tue 28-Jan-14 18:45:10

Hi Hersheykiss
Have you managed to make up your mind with regards to Orley Farm yet?We too have had an offer for our son, and cannot make up our minds between Orley Farm and Durston House.
It's a tough decision !
Hi Workingmum10 - could I ask if you had any concerns with regards to the high percentage of children having tuitions at Orley when you were making your decision ? We are really impressed with Orley Farm, but have this concern.

Hersheykiss Tue 28-Jan-14 23:28:57

Thanks Jin220 and Hi Venus33.

I agree the facilities are great at QH considering they are right in the middle of town! Mr Brown is lovely and I thought it was great that all the teachers knew every pupil.

On balance, we decided to go with Orley Farm in the end. My DS said he preferred OF which swayed our decision too! :D

Best wishes for your decision, venus33 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now