The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Courier delivered item when I was out - but no parcel here!

(21 Posts)
LineRunner Fri 14-Dec-12 22:23:12

Tell the seller they have failed to deliver.

dizzyday07 Fri 14-Dec-12 21:12:09

The saga continues. It's now been over 2 days since I was told the Declaration Form was being emailed to me!

LineRunner Thu 13-Dec-12 23:50:12

I am sending something tomorrow via MyHermes.

As a seller I will tick the box to obtain a signature, because that's what I'm meant to do.

For £1.20, it really is worth it.

fergoose Thu 13-Dec-12 16:57:08

may be - I dunno. You paid for 2nd class but they sent via a courier at their expense?

dizzyday07 Thu 13-Dec-12 16:47:19

Cheaper for them Fergoose?

The postage options for the buyer are:
£1.95 - Economy Delivery (Royal Mail 2nd Class Standard)
£1.95 - Economy Delivery (Other Courier 3-5 days)
£4.95 - Express Delivery (Other 24 Hour Courier)

fergoose Thu 13-Dec-12 15:10:43

makes no odds at all. The courier may have been cheaper than royal mail.

dizzyday07 Thu 13-Dec-12 14:45:07

Apparently I have to complete some declaration so that they can pursue a claom with the courier

BUT I've just realised that on the order details it states Royal Mail 2nd Class Standard as the delivery method. A courier is another option available which didn't get automatically selected when I paid

SO am I in a better position now as they haven't sent by the specified method?

I had this same problem, but i bought through amazon not ebay. The card shoved through the door stated parcel in porch, we don't have a porch. We looked outside and it was nowhere to be seen.
I rang up amazon and they refunded the money, hopefully the seller will do the same for you.

fergoose Mon 10-Dec-12 12:46:40

the ebay seller will not be forced to refund by ebay though as they do have proof of delivery - I think in this case unless the seller is decent the buyer will be the one out of pocket sadly.

louistheseventeenth Mon 10-Dec-12 12:14:18

I have posted two parcels for work with Hermes that went the same way.

Both were recorded as delivered by Hermes with exact times like 12:41 as if they had definitely done it, on one occassion they stated 'left in porch' on another they stated 'left by the right hand side of front door'

Neither parcel was received.

Work had to pay to replace contents and re-sent both parcels.

Hermes refused to refund or trigger the (paid for) insurance on the grounds that their small print state that when the driver completes delivery by entering the time and delivery position of the parcel, it has been sucessfully delivered.

So I suspect the poor ebay seller will have to refund or replace you and have no recourse with Hermes.

I consider them utter charletons for this sort of behaviour which is very far from unusual.

fergoose Mon 10-Dec-12 12:09:04

this is the trouble though - ebay will be given tracking to show delivered and even though you haven't got the item they won't refund you

can you contact Hermes yourself? Twitter may be good

dizzyday07 Mon 10-Dec-12 12:05:01

On the Hermes website you have to add tracking number and post code to pull up details which it does but there is no indication of house number - so in theory it could have been delivered to any house on the street to still be valid with the post code!

fergoose Mon 10-Dec-12 11:46:18

Does it give a postcode/your address or a depot - is it worth you contacting the courier yourself. Because if the tracking shows delivered at your address ebay will not refund you.

If you paid by credit card or verified by visa bank card you may be able to do a chargeback to get your money back. I hope the seller is decent.

fergoose Mon 10-Dec-12 11:44:58

ignore me - I didn't read properly. the tracking number - what does it say when you track the parcel?

fergoose Mon 10-Dec-12 11:44:30

have they given you the tracking number?

dizzyday07 Mon 10-Dec-12 11:41:04

They replied - after 3 days - stating they will check with the courier and can I please wait 24 hours for a reply!

I have raised a dispute with Ebay. They replied with tracking number and stating delivered to porch, I replied again we have no porch, they have replied stating they will check with courier!

I've had to buy a replacement product elsewhere as I needed it to complete an order so just want my money back!

dizzyday07 Fri 07-Dec-12 11:37:44

I have messaged them sp will see what they say. Reading the feedback they have received since I ordered it seems like quite a few customers are having trouble with the couriers!

sixlostmonkeys Fri 07-Dec-12 09:48:39

What is it with Hermes?! Last week the Hermes guy walked past my door (didn't knock) and put my parcel in the bin. He put a card through the letter box telling me it was in the bin on the way back. Would have been much easier to just knock, and give me the parcel.....

Try to work with the seller on this. Explain the situation and tell the seller you will do all you can to help them sort it out. Technically the seller is responsible for getting a parcel to you, but you may have to work hard at getting them to co-operate as they may take the attitude that as they have 'proof of delivery' they don't want to help.

Don't suppose one of your neighbours has a porch?

fergoose Thu 06-Dec-12 23:09:42

ask for tracking no & signature & state you have no porch?

Floralnomad Thu 06-Dec-12 22:56:00

This happened to my mum a couple of weeks ago ( not from ebay, but Hermes) . The company said that the courier had said that the parcel was left on the back porch . There is no back porch and you can't actually get to the back of the house without going through the garage so not possible. As there was no signature it's not our problem its theirs. Obviously their couriers are porch obsessed!

dizzyday07 Thu 06-Dec-12 22:47:08

I have been waiting for over a week for a package to be delivered. Emailed seller (a business) to ask when and by what method posted. The reply this evening is : Your order was delivered by hermes on the 03/12/12 at 14:12 delivered to porch.

We don't have a porch! There was no package and no card through the door.

What happens now? Can I claim Not Received if they have proof they delivered - although I haven't signed for it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now