Just say NOvember

(274 Posts)
economymode Thu 01-Nov-12 14:06:29

Want to cut back on unnecessary spending this November? Then you've come to the right place!

I'm starting off the month by seeing if I can switch to cheaper fuel tarrifs...

Thats beyond crap Rogue. I thought if they changed their requirements knowing you cannot fullfill them then it was constructive dismissal. I think if you have legal cover on your house insurance it covers the legal expenses for this situation.

Topcashback should have tracked the purchase after a few hours. It tracks, then confirms and then payment arrives. Sometimes they track at a lower rate then it goes up when they see what you've bought, eg some retailers have multiple offers on.

Some retailers pay in 4 weeks if they are faster paying but most take 6 months.

Topcashback are very good at answering questions so raise a complaint with them and they will get back to you.

NSD day here (due to having no lunch and being too busy to have one) but hairdressers tomorrow and Aldi on Sunday with my £5 off voucher!.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 30-Nov-12 16:46:13

rogue that is a nightmare sad I agree that it all sounds really suspicious.

SAHM here too smile I really love it, although it is not for everyone!

Today still going as planned, just the £2.90 this morning for creche and then the shopping is coming soon.

I've just balanced the bank accounts for the month and we've done ok, especially considering that several things broke and had to be replaced this month.

2Old2BeAChristmasElf Fri 30-Nov-12 18:21:23

Well DH's car passed its MOT smile £53, that was £35 for the MOT and then the rest on oil change and antifreeze etc.

I spent £4, playgroup admission and 2 pieces of the yoghurt and almond cake blush

AdoraJingleBells Fri 30-Nov-12 21:07:25

Glad the car passed the MOT 2

Had to drive into town, again. To get the car cleaned. That was too bloody expensive, but OH wants it done. Also topped up on cleaning stuff and Xmas nibbles as it's a 60KM round trip, all the things I bought were on special offer. So, £7 on the roads today and £80 in the supermarket. Then I spent another £5 on candy canes to go on the tree. DDs love them and at last there's someone importing some without tartrazine, DD2 is allergic to it, so I bought 2 packs blush

Yesterday it was £7 on roads as well, went into town to get a school book that the nazi teacher insisted had to be handed in today and it rained so there was no point getting the car done then. Book was £9 and I got fruit veg and yoghurts, £20. Next week I'm only buying fruit and veg locally. I've had enough of spending bleedin money!

Mum2Fergus Fri 30-Nov-12 22:33:20

Evening all smile Im needing some moral support on the money front...can I come in please?!

Our rented house has been put up for sale and Im desperately trying to pull together a house deposit. Ive managed to save £500 from last pays and have put another £500 away today. I usually budget £100pw housekeeping but trying to cut that to £50...was £7 over budget last week, this week not so good. Have a loaded freezer though so should only be mill/bread I need til I get my next £50 on Monday. Ive been clearing out to find stuff to Ebay and it will mean less to move when time comes.

NSD today but did give over card details for DS nursery pics...£50, but that will include 4 xmas presents for family.

AdoraJingleBells Sat 01-Dec-12 02:45:04

Hello Mum2fergus and welcome.

It's Such a Pain when the owner sells, we had that too. OH decided To build his dream home rather than move To another rental and now we need To sell it.sad I'm also working on decluttering, not so easy To sell things here so I'm donating like a demon grin

Sorry about the random capitals, phone struggles with Spanglish

2Old2BeAChristmasElf Sat 01-Dec-12 10:59:56

Well took the cats to the vets for their check up this morning. Was the most expensive 10 minutes ever £49! sad On a better note the vet did mange to scrape all the built up plaque off of Pixels teeth so that has saved us £200+ on dental treatment smile

Mum2Fergus Sat 01-Dec-12 13:32:56

Thanks Adora, yep, its a huge pain! Im hoping for no viewings this side of the year. Ive written confirmation from landlord of a minimum of 2 minths notice to quit from the day the sale concludes. Fingers crossed that will take us past February if not longer. Meantime its save save save! Im approx £7k off the required deposit. Ive my car up for sale and have a work bonus to get during Dec and Mar. If I can stick to my £50pw household budget I should manage to save £500pm too!

Just a nightmare with all the nice Crimbo stuff in shops lol. Have been putting up tree/decorations this morning...heading out soon to get milk/bread and any bargains. Ebay stuff doing ok too. Off to open weekend for new housing development we are interested in...Im hoping lots of brochures will keep me focused smile

Mum2Fergus Sat 01-Dec-12 15:05:44

£14.70 at Asda...£6 of which was on 3 big bags of icesalt (after I went on my a££ going out the door lol), bread, milk and a reduced price pizza for dinner. Over my £50 budget this week but need nothing more til cash withdrawal day Monday.

Have you tried aldi Fergus?

AdoraJingleBells Sat 01-Dec-12 15:27:32

I need petrol again, all these school runs are ruining my routinewink. When OH is here he does the morning run, using his car and his petrol. I know it's all coming out of the same pot for the same purpose, but I don't usually fill up this frequently.

Mum2Fergus fingers crossed for you.

2 glad the vet was able to do the teeth, we have 4 dogs who keep us on first name terms with the vet.

Mum2Fergus Sat 01-Dec-12 16:29:07

Hi Fluffy, I did my first Aldi shop recently (there is a different thread) but today it would have doubled my journey in the gas guzzler so stuck to Asda while I was over that firection. Few more bids on Ebay items and an offer on a Gumtree item but too low so politely declined.

AdoraJingleBells Sun 02-Dec-12 02:31:18

Got petrol, it wasn't running on fumes this time so only £50, £4 parking at the airport, £15 on dinner for DDs (extravagant treat) then £2.40 on the roads.

No idea what we're doing tomorrow, but I am not spending a bean.

Mum2Fergus Sun 02-Dec-12 09:24:04

Where are you Adora that you have road tolls? Nothing like that here (Scotland) thankfully. We need/have 2 cars...DP has a small 1.0 Peugeot for his commute of nearly 100miles a day...I have a 2.0 Mazda. It was a rash purchase a few months ago, I bought it 2 dats before landlord told us of his intention to sell sad have it advertised for sale but no takers yet.

Providing I can find something in the freezer to go with potato wedges I should have a NSD today. Withdraw my £50 cash budget tomorrow and I WILL stick to it this week! grin

roguepixie Sun 02-Dec-12 10:40:00

Well, I am currently doing my clothes washing with liquid I got for free!!! I applies to take part in the Method Laundry Liquid trial (through Mumsnet) and got taken on - I got my sample (full size) on Friday and have been happily washing ever since. It smells nice, washes really well and is in a lovely bottle. Bit expensive though so not sure that I will be buying it too often but it is eco friendly.

Will use petrol today as have to take DS into school to rehearse for the Advent Carol Service - which then takes place immediately after!! No other spending though.

Am on a roll at the moment - am going through the house and de-cluttering - it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO theraputic. I feel liberated grin. Just need to not re-fill!!!

roguepixie Sun 02-Dec-12 10:41:23

Sorry about your living situation Mum2 - that sound really crappy. Am with Adora - will keep fingers crossed for you to find another place quickly.

roguepixie Sun 02-Dec-12 10:41:58

applied ... not applies!!!

Dear God ... need more coffee .........

2Old2BeAChristmasElf Sun 02-Dec-12 12:18:07

Okay so finally got round to checking if I'm getting the most for our money with our weekly shop. Saturday I spent £76.42 in Aldi, I forgot to use my bloody voucher and almost cried!sad DH says I can go do a christmas non perishables shop this week and use it smile
Anyway so I put my whole receipt into MySupermarket like DH has been nagging me to and these are the results.

Sainsburys £99.06
Asda £103.30
Tesco £104.59
Ocado £110.19
Waitrose £114.37

I picked comparative goods, some value some not as I think some of the Aldi products are just as good as branded ones.

I'll leave you to make of it what you will smile

2Old2BeAChristmasElf Sun 02-Dec-12 12:24:53

Oh and DH is on Slimming World so we eat huge amounts of fruit and vegetables and meat every day smile

Wines a non-perishable isnt it? grin

The store in our old town was doing £5 vouchers as a lidl opened up literally 100yds down the road. I didnt realise and took it to my new local store. I had a right cob on me the whole of the day after that incident.

2Old2BeAChristmasElf Sun 02-Dec-12 14:50:17

Definitely Fluffy wink

economymode Sun 02-Dec-12 14:59:56

Rogue, I got the Method washing liquid through MN, too. Impressed with it so far, smells really nice.

Yesterday I went to.Hobbycraft and got a few bits to make Xmas and birthday presents. £15 in total (had a 25% off voucher). Also £1 on The Times - biked into town to get it from the place that does a student discount for everyone.

2Old - interesting to see those figures. I've never been bothered to plug in all the details, so great that Aldi really does come up trumps!

Method did an offer a while back to buy it and try it for free by sending off the till reciept, moneysaving expert had it in their newsletter but I didnt go for it (wish I had now).

MSE have a recipe for laundry gloop. It's borax subsitute, a grated bar of soap and soda crystals (I think). I'm going to try it but need to do it when DH is out as he has opinions that run counter to mine and he'll say he can tell the difference even if I cant.

Just ordered a shower save off the water boards website, I was going to get an eco showerhead but I dont want to spend the money. DH will most likely have opinions about this too.

£36 in aldi today but they had no crumpets (DH said theirs are better than Warburtons, I'm de-programming years of "brands are best" from mil) so need those and lacto free milk.

Dinner is cottage pie today made with frozen leftover mash. I havent told DH that or he'll say he can tell it's been frozen.

economymode Sun 02-Dec-12 15:10:07

Have started a new thread for December but can't link as too faffy on the phone. Also title didn't work, so a bit useless really...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now