Anyone else want to join me in getting ready for ivf in 2013? Good egg buddies wanted!!!

(1000 Posts)
Karbea Mon 17-Dec-12 18:26:17

Hello,

Dh and I have been trying for over 2 years and had one failed ivf (Icsi) attempt at the Argc last spring. We are going to go again in the new year.

I wondered if anyone else was planning to do the same? And whether anyone fancied joining me in 'princessing' (stolen from style & beauty smile ) for ivf?

I'm not sure what this means in terms of what I'll do, really hoping for some help in researching how to get the best eggs ever, and perhaps how to improve dh's little swimmers....

Anyone up for being a good egg buddy?

Northey Tue 08-Jan-13 06:02:38

You're up early, kig!

So tired today, and really tempted by a massive mug of coffee, but will resist.

keepitgoing Tue 08-Jan-13 06:19:30

Nope, I live in se Asia at the moment, so its lunchtime!
Resist the coffee, bracing UK air should do the trick...?

Northey Tue 08-Jan-13 07:04:45

Train has been cancelled, so am being exposed to the bracing air for 20 minutes more than I'd like this morning!

delilahbelle Tue 08-Jan-13 08:20:01

Omg. Have just been told I've been matched with a donor. I have taken my last contraceptive pill and start estrogen patches on the first day of my next period which should be in the next 3-7 days. I then have a lining scan around 8 days after that, then transfer 2-10 days after that. It's all happening now..!

SweetieTime Tue 08-Jan-13 08:38:57

wow delilah that is amazing news. How exciting. It will all happen really fast now. Did they tell you much about the donor? Are you egg sharing?

My cycle has been put back prob until March as they want me to start taking hormones to regulate my cycle. Since ivf last year it has been a bit irratic so they need to take control. This drugs are like the pill regulating to a 28 day cycle, which is easier to fit with donors cycle. They want me to do at least 2 cycles on this before starting. I am a bit disapointed but at least they are not rushing us into things. I just want to get going!!!

ExpatAl Tue 08-Jan-13 08:50:05

Following on from AdaKate we needed icsi for the first round but my dh started on wellman vits and his counts and quality shot up.

ExpatAl Tue 08-Jan-13 08:54:15

Fairy yes, 4 cycles in total and short protocol for all of them. It worked really well for me. I don't think they wanted me to risk shutting my ovaries down incase they never woke up again!

ScarlettInSpace England Tue 08-Jan-13 09:23:29

Morning all, did anyone else watch the prog sweetie mentioned last night? I did, really enjoyed it, I like the consultant, that's exactly the attitude you need not the patronising pessimism most of them have

Cried at all the test results too, what a plank, OH was p'ing himself 'I knew you'd be blubbing' hmm but he watched it over his laptop with me and I think he learnt something...

SweetieTime Tue 08-Jan-13 09:38:39

Interesting Scarlett I have recorded it. Looking forward to watching it. The BBC northern Ireland one was good too but not exactly positive. Might try to get DH to watch it too.

ScarlettInSpace England Tue 08-Jan-13 09:51:24

sweetie the consultant had a sense of humour and broke it down into normal speak but you felt like he really understood & cared. I want him to be my consultant considers move to Liverpool AND they get 3 NHS go's!

Interesting from a science view as they show the whole process, icsi etc, quite a focus on the embyology side of it and thats the tack I used with OH to get him to watch, it wasn't judgey at all and I'm glad OH watched it, I think he is too but I don't want to ask so I'm not 'going on about it' wink

EuroShagmore Tue 08-Jan-13 10:05:31

Scarlett in a very tearful decision in the clinic waiting room when I was losing it, we both decided that we didn't want a baby if that is what we/I had to go through to get it. Everyone has their limits.

I watched the programme too. I liked the consultant. The advice to have a quickie at the MiL's was hilarious! I found the "behind the scenes" stuff really interesting - sperm selection for icsi, assessing the developing embryos, etc. I thought it was interesting that of the four couples they followed, only one was successful, which I guess roughly reflects success statistics (obviously these are age dependent, but the average seems to be one in three or one in four cycles are successful). OH appeared to be playing on his tablet throughout, but I hope he had one eye on it.

SweetieTime Tue 08-Jan-13 10:32:19

Scarlett our new consultant used football analogy to describe low amh hmm I am sure that was for DH benefit. It did make him feel more engaged though.

ScarlettInSpace England Tue 08-Jan-13 10:34:27

hah so did this guy but with SA! definitely a man thing, I thought it was quite funny, not sure if i would've liked being told my AMH was Shrewsury Town though hmm

delilahbelle Tue 08-Jan-13 11:10:05

Hi Sweetie we are going abroad for DE so no egg sharing. They have matched us on hair/eye/skin colour and blood type, but as there is full anonymity we won't know a lot more than that. Good luck with getting your cycle sorted on the pill, hopefully it won't be long until you start too.

Scarlett I didn't see that program last night but will try and get it on catch up.

Anyone else doing DE - who have you told in real life? My MIL knows as DH told her (I wish he hadn't!) but that's it so far.

SweetieTime Tue 08-Jan-13 11:11:26

My amh was the dressing room and the players (my eggs) were still there just sat quietlyhmm

VeggieSaus Tue 08-Jan-13 12:25:58

Hi Ladies, mind if I join?

Just got an appointment for our consent appointment on 23rd Jan so will hopefully be starting ICSI some time in Feb grin Just want to get it going now!

I also watched the programme last night and cried for all the results, especially the positive one. Did enjoy it though and was fascinating to see all the embryologists.

New Year's resolution is to try to stop getting weepy so much in front of DH as he feels it's all his fault sad

vallinnapod Tue 08-Jan-13 13:20:03

Great news Delilah! Sweetie - I sympathise, any set back is frustrating.

Hiya to the new joiners.

I am feeling bloated and knackered at the moment. Only 4 days in. I feel terrible as totally wishing my life away until scan on Saturday.

I quite enjoyed the programme last night. Very 'realistic'. I too really enjoyed the embryologists. They are the unsung heroes of this. The nurses too. I don't know about anyone else but I only saw my consultant at our initial appointment hmm

adakate I am in Cambridge so if you have recommendations for acupuncturists here that would be great. Not in London but thanks for offering euro and valinnapod.

ExpatAl glad to hear that you persevered through the 4 cycles.

AdaKate Tue 08-Jan-13 18:46:16

Expat, just had a chance to read your 1st message in more detail. Thanks for the advice. Today is day 2 of stims for me - short cycle. Like you, few people know of our IVF journey and especially not work. Best way I think. Great to hear you've had two successes with IVF. Were all your cycles ICSI??

Fairy have private messaged you.
smile

Northey Tue 08-Jan-13 19:52:30

Consent consultation tomorrow. Meep! Any advice?

ScarlettInSpace England Tue 08-Jan-13 20:46:26

Write down as many questions as you can think of, even the silly stupid ones! Also go through the list with OH and see if he has anything to add.

Don't forget your folder!

Ummmmmm write everything down, take a spare pen as you & OH will undoubtedly have MORE forms to sign...

Good luck!

AdaKate Tue 08-Jan-13 20:47:29

Fairy did you supply the gonal F yourself or did you buy it from the Clinic? I wasn't aware you could do that...?

Northey....i'm on short protocol, started yesterday. ICSI for us.

AdaKate Tue 08-Jan-13 20:53:27

Good luck Northey and I agree with Scarlett ask as many questions as you can. I know when DH and I drove home from our intial consultation our heads were just full and spinning, but it finally calmed down and we pieced it together and were able to discuss, so writing notes down can only help for afterwards.

Oh and I would ask about excercise whilst stimming. My consultant advised me not to do my "heavy" gym classes whilst stimming or after egg transfer. So now for me, it's walking. smile

Northey Tue 08-Jan-13 20:54:28

I don't have any questions, scarlett! I am a failure as a patient sad What did you ask about?

Northey Tue 08-Jan-13 20:58:02

Ok. Exercise. That can be my first question.

<frets>

This thread is not accepting new messages.