Anyone else want to join me in getting ready for ivf in 2013? Good egg buddies wanted!!!

(1000 Posts)
Karbea Mon 17-Dec-12 18:26:17

Hello,

Dh and I have been trying for over 2 years and had one failed ivf (Icsi) attempt at the Argc last spring. We are going to go again in the new year.

I wondered if anyone else was planning to do the same? And whether anyone fancied joining me in 'princessing' (stolen from style & beauty smile ) for ivf?

I'm not sure what this means in terms of what I'll do, really hoping for some help in researching how to get the best eggs ever, and perhaps how to improve dh's little swimmers....

Anyone up for being a good egg buddy?

delilah I'm definitely going into work and trying to be as busy as possible. Otherwise I will just spend every moment sliding from the 'it must have worked! what names should I give them!' peak to the "it hasn't worked! How can I cope with the devastation!" trough, with rumination at every point in between. But then I like my job and find it quite absorbing and have friends there who don't know about the IVF so I am lucky. Also I have constant deadlines and missing them is not an option. I really think that going to work, unless you have a very physically demanding job, won't harm your chances at all. No babies would be born otherwise! Think of peasant women toiling in the fields until they drop another one.

sweetie, northey and isabeller - hope it all comes together sooner rather than later. I think the waiting to start IVF once you've committed to it is a lot worse than actually doing it.

HontyTont Sun 27-Jan-13 19:16:32

Hi All,

Just been catching up with you all....looks to have been a busy week!

deliah and fairy I've got everything crossed for you both!

Euro and Caip good luck for EC this week too

Isabellar i had the whole exercise or not to exercise debate this week, I'm just waiting for my period after down reg. I decided to carry on until I start with the stims. I have a personal trainer so its pretty high intensity, but I told him my situation and he has dropped it down a few notches i.e. cross trainer warm up instead of HIIT. I feel fine at the moment and not really bloated so thought as it usually keeps me sane it wouldn't hurt now. Once I start stims I will stop with the PT i think and see how I feel. I guess its different for everyone depending on how used to training you are and how you feel on the day.

i've managed OK so far with the injections but I'm not looking forward to the next stage. When I took Merional when we did IUI it didn't make me feel great. I have a whole goody bag of drugs and am not really sure what else i will be on, probably the progesterone tabs I guess.confused

Anyway with everything thats going on we are a sure for some good news soon...so good luck everyone, stay positive and as normal as mentally possible in these difficult times grin I'm taking it one day at a time....what else can we do when we cant see into the future wink

xxx

vallinnapod Mon 28-Jan-13 14:48:31

Fairy I found it much easier to be in work. It was lying a wake at night that used to kill me!

Hope everyone else is OK.

Finally taken my last Provera at lunchtime so now waiting to get my period - I guess Wednesday. Then back for a baseline scan and straight to patches.

Still don't know if I want to go through it. Can't get myself excited about it and then..

Have given up on acupuncture as it made no difference last time.

Sorry...bit sad

EuroShagmore Mon 28-Jan-13 15:13:34

Afternoon all.

I had another scan this morning. It's been confirmed that EC will be Weds, as thought, and that I will trigger tonight. My follie is 21mm on its longest edge, so growing well. My lining is 11mm and "beautiful" so everything looks good. But I'm not getting excited because every time someone monitors me I keep being told everything is "excellent" and "perfect" but it never results in a bloody baby!

I have carried on exercising normally and am planning on going to the gym tonight. I will take it easier after EC though. I've been told completely opposite things by two clinics so far. One told me (in the context of IUI) not to do any exercise or lift anything and generally take it easy. The other (in the context of IVF) told me to carry on as before and just live normally. The current clinic hasn't doled out any advice so far, but whatever they say, I will just listen to my body and take it easy when I feel I need to but otherwise just carry on as normal.

As for work, I'm planning to take the whole of EC day off, and then on Thursday and Friday I will see how I am doing. I will take my laptop home so I can work from the sofa if I can't face the commute. Friday will probably be ET day, if we end up with something to transfer, so this week is a bit of a write-off, with appointments on three days! I think I'd go crazy if I took the whole of the 2ww off. I'm not good with boredom.

vallinnapod Mon 28-Jan-13 15:39:59

Hi Euro - I exercised as normal throughout IVF (and pregnancy and postpartum - less than a week) - just listened to my body and did what felt appropriate.

If it helps, I took EC day off, and worked from home the next day. TBH I felt completely fine by the afternoon (mine was done under sedation).

With ET I took the day off and went back the next day. This time I think I will go into work in the morning as I am not bothering with acupuncture. Waiting around for the call to see how they have defrosted would send me mad at home.

delilahbelle Mon 28-Jan-13 18:18:09

Hey all

Bit of a traumatic day, cat to the vets, not the best classes at work, and a warning light went on in my car. On the plus side I'm getting quite a few positive feeling cramps, and have sausage chips and beans from the chippy for tea. Although that's possibly a negative as it's not that healthy.

vallinna I have never bothered with acupuncture. I think it's the relaxation/stress relief that's good for you, the placebo effect. I remember seeing a trial that compared actual acupuncture against needles being stuck in wherever, and there was no difference in outcomes. But then I'm fairly cynical about all alternative medicines. I think all you reall need to do is look after yourself.

Euro good luck for Wednesday, I've got my fingers crossed you get a bumper crop of eggs.

Caip - hoping things went well and looking forward to your update!

fairy Hope work went OK for you. I went in in the end, and was glad I did for distraction purposes. Better than spending the day googling 2WW symptons.

honty isabeller sweetie northey I hope things are all going well with you today?

Northey Mon 28-Jan-13 18:26:45

If it makes you feel happy and relaxed, you should just trough it down, delilah.

I have sore nipples. Naturally I am dwelling on the possibility of a pre ivf ironic bfp.

CaipirinhasAllRound Mon 28-Jan-13 19:23:17

hi all

Euro good luck for Wednesday. I stopped exercising on advice from my clinic, they said during injections not to do anything too energetic or anything which involved twisting etc

Delilah hope you enjoyed your tea!

egg collection went well today and they got 12. they had to increase the sedation drugs after they started as I could feel it and bloody hurt! feel ok now and much better than after the cyst aspiration. fingers crossed for good news tomorrow

vallinnapod Mon 28-Jan-13 19:41:36

Congrats Caip!

PS - give yourselves a break on the PG symptom spotting....the drug you are all on will mimic pregnancy (either way) as they are artificially producing all the associated hormones. Another twisted side effect of IVF.

Isabeller Tue 29-Jan-13 20:16:29

Thankyou for all the support thanks our egg sharer produced a gigantic number of eggs and we will know tomorrow if any have fertilised (finger crossed).

delilahbelle Tue 29-Jan-13 20:39:27

Got my fingers crossed for you isabeller Remember you just need one.

I'm snuggled up in bed already, bit tired. Slight sore boobs, slight crampyness, both caused by the pessaries no doubt. A week tomorrow is the earliest I can test I think, with a week Friday OTD. Eek.

delilahbelle Tue 29-Jan-13 20:40:13

caip any news?

caip that's a great number of eggs! well done! The EC is the most painful part so it's all easier from there, esp as you won't be injecting so many hormones any more.

isabeller congrats! hope the little ones survive.

delilah I feel the same way, light but persistent cramping and sore breasts, also a bloated stomach. As of yesterday afternoon I have become obsessed with 'should I test?' 'should I test?' Even at work I'm only able to stop thinking about it for about 2 min at a time. It doesn't help that my office partner has been away so there is no one to look over my shoulder and stop me from Googling endlessly.

I have been listening to a Zita West relaxation podcast every night, which I have found really helpful to relax before bed (in lieu of a glass of wine, sigh). She has 3 different meditations, for pre-transfer, post-transfer and 2ww. There is a bit of whistling and chiming but it's not too New Agey. The focus is on a positive mental attitude, whihc I find really helpful. You can get it on Itunes if anyone is interested.

CaipirinhasAllRound Tue 29-Jan-13 21:07:32

7 fertilised! ET will be Thursday or Saturday. I am so bloated but not too sore. Am off work til middle of next week so all good

Great news isabeller!
fairy and delilah I've got my fingers crossed for you

Isabeller Tue 29-Jan-13 22:24:20

Hooray Caipi! Will I get any sleep tonight I wonder...

Isabeller Wed 30-Jan-13 08:59:52

4 eggs fertilised and transfer booked for Friday but Sunday still a faint possibility if all survive and thrive. Probably time to do some meditation and try to calm down smile

good luck all round, thinking of you Euro and will be thinking of you tomorrow Caipi

delilahbelle Wed 30-Jan-13 09:15:52

Huge congratulations caip and isabelller grin
We really needs some kind of congratulatory emoticon for times like this. I hope your ET goes well.
fairy I have that relaxation CD too! I listen to it every night, I'm not sure I believe in visualisation of orange light being helpful, but I think the lying down and de-stressing is. Work is a good distraction at the moment, I'm trying to take it easy there.
Anyway, major stress last night as I was an hour late with my pessary. Normally it goes in at 11, but I went to sleep early. Luckily I woke at midnight needing the loo so was able to put it in then.
More symptoms to chronicle, although I'm sure they are all caused by the drugs: broken sleep/getting up to wee. Hot sweatiness this morning. Boobs more sore. Still v slight crampyness. And I'm getting out of breath more easily. Logically I know these are down to the progesterone, but I still keep hoping.

euro got my fingers crossed for you today, I hope it all goes well.

<waves> to everyone else.

CaipirinhasAllRound Wed 30-Jan-13 09:28:01

hooray Isabeller! glad to know we'll be going through the 2ww together

CaipirinhasAllRound Wed 30-Jan-13 09:29:23

ps good luck today Euro

EuroShagmore Wed 30-Jan-13 14:12:45

caip well done on 12 eggs and thanks for thinking of me! Good luck for ET! And the same to you isabeller

EC was fine (well I was mental - I hate hospitals and drugs) but the procedure itself went ok. They got my egg plus one other probably immature one. I'm not sure why they bothered with that, but you never know I guess. If there is anything to transfer, ET will be Friday.

Northey Wed 30-Jan-13 20:53:29

Are you doing transfer tomorrow or Sat, caip?

I am spotting, and feel crampy, so I think period will start tomorrow, with injections therefore starting on Friday. Have just had a snotty sob into my pillow at the imminence of it all. It all feels overwhelming tonight, and I also feel very lonely.

A question - my partner and I live apart in the week, and once I start injecting I don't think I'll be able to go back to him on weekends, as what will I do about the refrigerated drugs? Do you think it would be ridiculous to phone the clinic and ask if I can take my injecting pen thing in a cool box with an ice pack?

EuroShagmore Wed 30-Jan-13 21:11:16

Norfy, is there any advice on the leaflet with he drugs? I seem to remember that one of the drugs can be kept out of the fridge for a certain length of time if it is then used - you just can't keeping varying the temp. I can't remember which drug that was though as this is nearly a year ago now.

Northey Wed 30-Jan-13 21:23:18

blush I haven't actually unpacked the drugs properly - i just hid the cold ones in the fridge and put the non-cold ones in the unopened box on top of the wardrobe and ignored it. Oh God, I'm so cowardly and stupid. And now my heart is gripped with a cold fear that I will open the box and it will turn out that I should have been doing something specific with the drugs in it.

CaipirinhasAllRound Wed 30-Jan-13 21:42:10

northey how exciting that you're starting soon! The morning ones aren't in the fridge and once you mix the evening ones they don't need to be kept in the fridge so as long as you're not away for longer than the vial lasts you should be fine. Are you on 150 (don't know what the unit is!)? That's what I was on so the evening vial lasted me 4 days once mixed

They're phoning us in the morning to let us know if it'll be tomorrow or Saturday. I called them earlier as I'm so uncomfortably bloated and sore but they think it's ok and she reminded me that they dud just stick a needle in 19 follicles!

Glad it went well Euro

keepitgoing Thu 31-Jan-13 05:18:33

Hi everyone!

Delilah and fairy hope you're keeping sane. When will you test?

caip great great news on seven fertilised eggs! Hope they all keep growing over the next few days

euro I really hope your egg fertilises, when will it go back? I guess early as it's just the one?

northey there must be a way to transport drugs, a cool box or sth. I am in fact abroad for what will prob be cd1-3 of my sp cycle, so will have to take mine on a plane (and hide them from mil at the same time) beat that

Iui no.2 failed, so I have this last natural iui then start short protocol next month. 3 weeks, eek!

This thread is not accepting new messages.