Anyone else want to join me in getting ready for ivf in 2013? Good egg buddies wanted!!!

(1000 Posts)
Karbea Mon 17-Dec-12 18:26:17

Hello,

Dh and I have been trying for over 2 years and had one failed ivf (Icsi) attempt at the Argc last spring. We are going to go again in the new year.

I wondered if anyone else was planning to do the same? And whether anyone fancied joining me in 'princessing' (stolen from style & beauty smile ) for ivf?

I'm not sure what this means in terms of what I'll do, really hoping for some help in researching how to get the best eggs ever, and perhaps how to improve dh's little swimmers....

Anyone up for being a good egg buddy?

HontyTont Mon 21-Jan-13 18:11:20

delilah GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Totally thinking positive thoughts for you

Xx

vallinnapod Mon 21-Jan-13 19:44:09

Ohhh - fingers crossed Delilah, fab news!

I had spotting over the weekend, which really shouldn't happen on Progynova and Estraderm so my cycle has been cancelled. I now have Provera to take for a week to have a period. Then we start again. Straight to patches only this time. Feeling a bit, meh TBH. I sort of expected it but now I have to get psyched up all over again.

Pollykitten Mon 21-Jan-13 20:37:07

delilah just to mention that although it's great that your multi has vitamind D in it, it wouldn't be in enough quantity to put a deficiency right - it would be fine if your levels were good - a kind of maintenance dose - but not to up low levels, IYSWIM? I'll let you know how I get on with my blood test, because I don't wear sunblock and had two weeks of very strong sun this year too. Good luck to everyone and statistically, at least, there will be some congratulations due shortly! [big grin]

Pollykitten Mon 21-Jan-13 20:37:51

or grin even!

Pollykitten Mon 21-Jan-13 20:38:53

And good luck delilah - work can definitely wait!!

EuroShagmore Tue 22-Jan-13 15:54:00

Afternoon all.

It looks like my 2ww after IVF is a busy one. The other senior person in my team is going to be off then (she knew I would be having day surgery but not what for, and the timing really can't be helped). Not ideal at all though as I was hoping for a relatively stress-free 2ww. Meh.

delilahbelle Tue 22-Jan-13 19:06:35

Hi Euro
I think being mentally busy in the 2WW isn't that bad - it stops you mentalling about symptoms. Just take it as easy as you can, think about what you had to do/pay to get to that 2WW and how much it matters, work can take a back step!
Flights all booked, I know exactly when I have to start using pessaries etc. Transfer us planner for 11-30am Spanish time. I have to be there at 11.15 with a full bladder.
Now feeling stressed about calling in sick to work for this, and frantically trying to clear my desk as much as possible. Guilt.

Northey Thu 24-Jan-13 10:48:56

Did you make the call ok, delilah? Have a nice flight, and GOOD LUCK!

Am waiting at home for drug delivery this morning.

Isabeller Thu 24-Jan-13 11:34:54

Hi, I've been lurking on and off for a couple of weeks. The Gonapeptyl and Progynova have given me some nasty side effects put me out of action at times. I've got my lining scan tomorrow and feel really rough, partly due to a heavy cold but mostly treatment I think.

I'd be very grateful for some advice about exercise. I felt so ill with migraines after the injection that I missed quite a few of my morning exercise sessions and I'm really not sure whether I should be trying to force myself whenever possible or whether it is actually a bad idea to do that (I'm having DE IVF).

I'm starting from overweight trying to build up stamina and fitness but already very strong from work which involves a lot of lifting. I'd been doing half an hour a day alternating between a cross trainer and strength training but I've only managed a couple of sessions in the last week.

Good luck everyone, sorry not to name check xx

EuroShagmore Thu 24-Jan-13 15:06:02

Good luck delilah!

I had my second scan this morning. Having thought at my first scan that the right ovary would be the one to produce the dominant follicle (bigger follies and better blood flow) it is a follie on the left that has now taken the lead at 13mm. I have another scan on Saturday, and probably EC Tues/Weds next week.

delilahbelle Fri 25-Jan-13 09:34:04

Hi all
On my phone in hotel so will keep this short. Off to clinic for ET soon. Veering between confident and terrified. I've a horrid cold too, sore throat, headache, aches and am really hoping that it doesn't have a negative effect. Have taken paracetamol on the clinics advise. Why do these things happen at the worst time?
Anyway, with a bit of luck next time I post I will be PUPO. FX.

ScarlettInSpace Fri 25-Jan-13 09:44:56

Ooooh fx delilah x

delilahbelle Fri 25-Jan-13 11:55:12

grin
I now have two beautiful 4 cell top quality embryos on board. We even got to see them on a monitor pre-transfer. And we also have another 2 top quality embryos frozen.

Very easy and stress-free transfer, other than the super full bladder. Think I gave the next couple something to smile at when I announced my relief at my toilet visit.

Now the dreaded 2WW begins.

ScarlettInSpace Fri 25-Jan-13 11:59:44

Yay delilah great news x

vallinnapod Fri 25-Jan-13 22:58:02

Fabulous Delilah!

CaipirinhasAllRound Sat 26-Jan-13 07:54:05

great news Delilah fingers crossed

I'm booked in for egg collection in Monday. my scan yesterday showed about 19 follies, at least 6 of which were 18mm or over. Feeling a but tender now but got a lazy weekend planned

hope everyone else is ok

EuroShagmore Sat 26-Jan-13 16:06:15

Great news Delilah!

I had another scan this morning. My follie is now at 17mm on its longest side and growing well. I am booked in for another scan on Monday, and EC is looking likely for Wednesday.

I am dreading the full bladder part! The best thing about dildo cam scans is the empty bladder.

Hi - I've been offline for a while but that's because I had egg collection and embryo transfer and have been a bit overwhelmed by it all.

delilah - so happy your transfer went well, good luck with the 2ww!

isabellar my clinic's advice is not to undertake any strenuous exercise during stimming or the 2ww but I suppose its up to you as to what will make you feel better. Certainly if you were conceiving naturally you would just do what you wanted as you wouldn't be aware it was going on.

caip and euro - good luck at EC. You only have a full bladder for embryo transfer, not EC. I did the EC under local anaesthetic (they give you painkillers and pethidine so you are quite relaxed) and it was all right although not something I would want to do regularly, a bit poky and proddy. Although by then the hormones were making me feel awful and I was really bloated so I was relieved to get them out to be honest.

Although I had 17 follies over 14 mm they only got 7 eggs, so I was initially disappointed the retrieval rate was so low but I have today had 2 "top quality" blastocysts put back so it all went well overall.

It wasn't as debilitating as I anticipated so I just took the day of EC and two days after off work (and was able to work from home because I was ok mentally as of the afternoon of EC), although I have been working shorter hours than normal. The next day after EC I rang and the nurse said that 4 had fertilised so I would have a day 2 transfer. The clinic has a guideline that unless you have 5 fertilised eggs they do day 2, not day 3 or day 5 (i.e. blastocyst). But the doctor who did EC said that if I was keen on blastocyst transfer and had 4 fertilised to discuss it with the embryologist. I did really prefer a blastocyst transfer because the success rates are quite a bit higher than day 2 or 3 because by then they can tell which embryos are most likely to implant as the others have often stopped developing. However, if you only have one or two then it's not worth it because you won't have a choice anyway and you might as well have them back in you.

So I then on day 2 and day 3 talked with the embryologists and they were really helpful and encouraging and since all 4 were developing at the same good rate they said I should go for blastocyst, although there was a small risk that none would make blastocyst and I would have none to transfer. That is how I ended up with the 2 transferred today, the other 2 were a bit further behind but I am hoping they will be frozen.

I'm only bringing this up because some of you may not realise that if you do have a concern like i did to just discuss it with the embryologists and they should be happy to help as it is your body and your embryos after all!

ET was very straightforward compared to EC, I think in part because you are off the hormones for a few days by then and feel more like your normal self. It was actually a very odd experience to have a stranger bring in a syringe with your 'potential children' in it and then have someone else put them in but also strangely touching. I definitely did not have a really full bladder because I can't bear that but it seemed to be fine. I read somewhere to go to the loo about 30 min before you have the ET and then have one or two big glasses of water and that should be good enough.

Now the 2ww of all 2ww starts! Luckily I have season 5 of Mad Men on DVD to get me through...and I'm planning to be at work full time and be quite busy to stop my brain from whirring.

Good luck to all of you.

PS euro - dildo cam scans? good thing I only read that after I have had my last one otherwise I would be sniggering through it!

delilahbelle Sat 26-Jan-13 18:16:29

Right, I'm back and installed on the sofa, DH is lighting the fire, and I have some non-alcoholic ginger wine to sip. World Without End to watch later as well.

valinna sorry to hear about your cancelled cycle. How's the Provera going? Hopefully you will have better luck next month and then a lovely November baby - tiny cuddles at Christmas.

Polly I must admit having looked into it I am a little concerned about Vit D. But then again I have been taking a daily supplement for 7 years now, so hopefully my levels of everything is OK. When do you get the results from your blood test?

Euro and caip Good luck for EC on Monday/Wednesday, I'll be thinking of you both. FX for a bumper crop of quality eggs - you'll soon be joining me on the 2WW.

Northey did your drugs turn up OK? It's always more real when they arrive.

Isabeller My clinic is very much of the thought that you continue as normal, but avoid raising your heart rate too much. So I am walking every day, will be swimming from next week (3dpt), but have put my shred DVD to one side for now. I think all you can do is listen to your body. How did your lining scan go? And do you have a rough date for transfer yet?

fairy We can mental together on the 2WW. When are you testing? My clinic gave me a date of the 8th Feb, but I had a 3 day transfer on 25th, so might break and test a couple of days earlier. I'm already convinced I am having cramps, but I guess its more likely to be trauma/bruising to my cervix from the transfer.

I hope anyone I've not mentioned is doing OK, update up on how you are getting on!

Anyway, travel back to the UK today was remarkably smooth, no delays or problems. Drugs wise I'm on pessaries 3xdaily now until test date, estrogen patches, and hopefully both until 70days post transfer if/when I get my BFP. No symptoms yet except a few stabbing pains and sore boobs - caused my transfer and the drugs I think.
My GP has said he would sign me off, but I'm considering going into work as I would just stress out at home. Far better to be busy.

Isabeller Sun 27-Jan-13 04:21:42

Thank you for the exercise advice it is really appreciated.

fairy, great news with your blasts and delilah, crossing my fingers for you both (and everyone of course).

My lining scan was good, 8.7, so no need to rescan on Monday. We got the news yesterday that our egg sharer is doing well and EC will be on Tuesday. If all goes to plan ET Friday or Sunday if blasts. I imagine it's unlikely we'll get enough embryos to go to blast stage but who knows.

It is very exciting and scary and I'm finding it almost impossible to concentrate on anything else. I'm feeling much better apart from a very heavy cold but my energy levels are tiny.

It's a silly hour to be awake but nice to drop in and read everyones progress

xx Is

Northey Sun 27-Jan-13 08:32:55

Well done delilah and fairy. My fingers are crossed for you both.

And good luck to this week's egg collectors (whether their own or someone else's!).

Drugs are here and waiting. Based on last cycle, my next period should start next weekend, so will start injecting then. If not, I have provera to induce a bleed.

SweetieTime Sun 27-Jan-13 09:44:51

Just popping in to say congratulations and well done to delilah and fairy with their precious cargo aboard. Fx that the 2WW passes really quickly without too much mentalling.

Also good luck with the egg collections Euro and Isabeller and embie transfers after that.

I am still playing the waiting game, trying to get my cycle regulated with HRT ready to coordinate with the donor. But on the plus side this means I won't have to down reg if they manage to sort it out. Looks like it will be Easter time for things to be happening for me. I keep telling myself it will be worth the wait.

Thanks all!

delilah my testing date is 5 Feb (day 15 after EC). I have to go into the clinic for a blood test. I am not sure if they can give me the results before I leave or if I have to wait for a phone call. I'd prefer the former (and would wait around if necessary) because otherwise my only option will be to go home and pace around the house frantically until they call. I certainly couldn't go into work or go shopping! I think I'd prefer to be told in a clinical setting anyway rather than at home.

Feel a bit bloated from the progesterone and am having a bit of cramping but according to Google that is normal.

delilahbelle Sun 27-Jan-13 17:44:25

Hi fairy
I'm getting slight bloating and slight cramping too. I veer between convinced it won't work to desperately hoping it will. I'm still unsure about work tomorrow, I could get a doctors appointment and a sick note but then I have the not being at work guilt/more time to mental. But if I don't take it easy and then this doesn't work out I will be gutted. It's just so hard. What do you do? Are you back at work for the full 2WW?
Good luck for your test date!

This thread is not accepting new messages.