Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I'm taking dd to the Dr's today, only the third time ever she's been.

(87 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 07:42:07

Which at 12yo ain't bad. But I'm still worried that he'll think I'm fussing.

She's had really bad stomach pains on and off for about 10 months now. We went 10 months ago to see the GP and he gave her some buscopan......which seemed to help. The pains still come but they're once a fortnight rather than constant now.

But now she's been sick every day for months. Not tummy bug sick but its straight after eating like she can't keep her food down. Not loads of sick, just a bit more than a mouthful.

I think he's probably just going to tell me to give her some Antacid isn't he? I probably am fussing aren't I?

giraffesCantDateDucks Mon 04-Mar-13 19:30:39

Food diary seems like a good plan.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 19:32:09

The dr wasn't sure about her having a ppi, he said he'd rather try gaviscon first and if that doesn't work he'll refer to a paed who can make the decision about a ppi.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 19:34:02

She hasn't been tested for h pylori. Ill ask about that when we go back in two weeks.

Badvoc Mon 04-Mar-13 19:51:11

Gaviscon is ok,as far as it goes, but babies use ppi's, they are perfectly safe.
Your gp sounds a bits useless tbh.
A food diary is a good idea.
I think that - as hard as this is (and believe me, I know!) - dont react to the food issues.
I don't hold with the if they are hungry they will eat it brigade, that way eating disorders lie imo, but don't let her see how worried/annoyed/angry you are.
Make sure you provide food she likes and will eat, try not to worry too much about nutritional value at this stage.
My mum had h pylori and was sick a few times with it. Also made her have bad stomach pains.
A course of ABs cures it.

moosemama Mon 04-Mar-13 20:06:37

I'm afraid I don't agree with ppi's being perfectly safe. I was on omeprazole myself for quite a while and had really bad side effects. They suit some people better than others and there's a long list of side effects if they don't suit you.

They are appropriate in some cases, but not all. I wasn't happy for ds1 to go on them and neither was his paed.

There are alternatives though and I would definitely advise trying for a paed referral to go through the options - the food/symptom diary will really help there.

Stress/anxiety can cause you to swallow air while eating. I'm not surprised she is refusing Gaviscon as it tastes rank. Obviously it can be very useful, but the taste/texture can make me gag.

Badvoc Tue 05-Mar-13 09:17:13

I didn't get on with omeprazole either moose but have been on lansoprazole for years now with no side effects.
There are many to try, you have to persevere sometimes wrt meds, or at least that's what I have found.
Yes, gaviscon is gross smile

crashdoll Tue 05-Mar-13 09:29:15

Omeprazole (and other PPIs) are safe in that they won't cause any serious long-term problems. However, some people do suffer side-effects. I went on omeprazole and had terrible stomach pains and diarrhea. I tried it again 6 months later and I have been taking it for a while now, no side effects and no puking into my mouth everytime I bend over.

moosemama Tue 05-Mar-13 09:39:47

Badvoc, I've read some rather worrying papers on the long-term use of PPIs. I don't want to link, because I don't want to be accused of scaremongering and they are freely available online if you Google.

My GP and ds1's Paed both told me that they prefer not to use them with children unless they've tried everything else first and been unsuccessful, because there is currently a lot of debate about their safety.

I went onto Lansoprazole for a while and tolerated it better, but chose to come off them after reading some of the research mentioned above and now only use them for discrete periods when I am having particularly bad problems or having to take high dose NSAIDs.

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 05-Mar-13 09:45:37

She seems to have a lot of stress with school, friends etc.
Does your school have a counsellor either she can go to (although she may refuse) or you can talk to privately?

Dd 16 has ocd, and a lot of food issues. She controlled everything at school as she didn't want anyone to know.

toddlerama Tue 05-Mar-13 09:50:56

Try a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar instead of the gaviscon. It will burn for a second or two, but tells the stomach to stop churning up the acid whereas the gaviscon 'dilutes' it and the stomach will fight back, producing more. You can get into a nasty dependency cycle with antacids. She wont enjoy it, but she may well only have to do it once! I sorted mine out like this. If you goole it there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to support it as a cure and it wont damage her even if it doesn't work.

She sounds like she has some anxiety issues which I hope you can help her with. Please don't take the fact that she was laughing with her dad about friends to mean that she isn't lonely. She could simply be retelling a story she witnessed rather than an anecdote about close friends. I really feel for her - this could have been written about me at this age and I ended up with bulimia seemingly incongruously (I wasn't underweight and the usual warning signs weren't there. I just felt like I needed to vomit after eating. It went on into my 20s shock ). It's taken me a very long time to understand how to be comfortable in a crowd and the transition to secondary school was when the insecurity started. I couldn't possibly have articulated what the problem was so I had nausea and stomach pains every morning for 6 years. My mum put it down to travel sickness in the car.

Zipbangboom Tue 05-Mar-13 09:59:52

Can you see another doctor?
My 10 year old has always been quite sicky and we've never got to the bottom of it. I think the more they are sick the easier it comes. He doesn't get tummy ache. Is she quite a slow eater? Does it help if she drinks lots of water?
I'm really interested to see what answer you get- good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now