Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I'm taking dd to the Dr's today, only the third time ever she's been.

(87 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 07:42:07

Which at 12yo ain't bad. But I'm still worried that he'll think I'm fussing.

She's had really bad stomach pains on and off for about 10 months now. We went 10 months ago to see the GP and he gave her some buscopan......which seemed to help. The pains still come but they're once a fortnight rather than constant now.

But now she's been sick every day for months. Not tummy bug sick but its straight after eating like she can't keep her food down. Not loads of sick, just a bit more than a mouthful.

I think he's probably just going to tell me to give her some Antacid isn't he? I probably am fussing aren't I?

lougle Mon 04-Mar-13 08:30:38

How does she feel about her body?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 08:31:41

Thats interesting Bedhopper, hadn't thought about coeliac disease at all. No he hasn't. He didn't do much really, prodded her tummy and said she was fine and gave her buscopan for the stomach pains.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 08:34:56

Mmmm Lougle, that worried me a bit. But surely if she was been bulimic she would be vomiting huge amounts.

She's very slim, always has been. Which she thinks is good, she's said that some of her friends have commented about how underweight she is and she seems proud of that. I don't think she's underweight - just very slim. But I've caught her sucking her tummy in while looking in the mirror and she was really happy she could see all her ribs.

She was moaning today that her school trousers are tight and that she's getting fat. But thats the first time I've ever heard her say that. Of course I told her that she's not fat but she can't expect to stay in Age 10/11 trousers all her life.

Sirzy Mon 04-Mar-13 08:35:28

Some people are being very harsh on the OP. I think its perfectly normal to wait to see if symptoms develop before seeking further help.

What you said about her not being happy at school did remind me of me when I was a similar age. I used to be sick each morning before school and it was all through worry/anxitiy related to bullying when that was sorted the symotoms stopped.

megandraper Mon 04-Mar-13 08:53:17

We were fobbed off for 18 months by a paed about DS, and eventually another paed sent him for a coeliac test - off the scale high (after a year of being gluten-free, his antibodies still haven't dropped to normal). For a while he used to vomit occasionally as well, though never at school, only at home.

If I had known about coeliac (had not even heard of it) I would have asked for a test earlier and saved him 18 months of damage & pain. He is a different child now.

It does sound like she has something physical going on. Its unlikely at her age, but her symptoms sound similar to a hiatus hernia. So do ask about that while you're there.

And I do understand why you haven't had it looked at yet, it will have taken a while to get up to this point. Don't worry about him thinking you're fussing, you're really not. but do gear yourself up that they'll want some investigations doing

lougle Mon 04-Mar-13 09:31:48

"But surely if she was been bulimic she would be vomiting huge amounts."

I'm not sure, tbh. I just thought it sounded odd that she's been sick and you've not taken her to the doctors (so she obviously isn't generally unwell), is telling you she's been sick when she hasn't, can control it at school in some way...

If she has been telling you things about her weight and looking in mirrors sucking her tummy in, I would at least have a eye on whether what (could be) very physical could turn into something more psychological, given the unhappiness at school also.
"

I have gone back and reread the initial post, wondering whether I have overreacted to the post.
However - given I responded to the first 2 posts, I do believe that I stand by my initial reaction. OP, you have now given substantially more information that paints a very different picture to your OP, and I am relieved to see that the situation does not seem to be nearly as alarming as initially was portrayed.

I sincerely hope that you get to the bottom of it, whether it be physical or psychosomatic, and that she is better very soon.

Thingiebob Mon 04-Mar-13 10:56:58

My little one has been three times to the doctor and she is only three!

Hope it isn't anything to serious OP.

twilight81 Mon 04-Mar-13 15:43:41

My son is 3 and has a hiatus hernia so it is possible!
Sounds to me like some kind of reflux especially as she seems to be burping a lot. A GP is not going to think your neurotic for one second looking at her notes and seeing she's only ever been 3 times.. They are more likely to ask where you've been hiding her lol ;0)

twilight81 Mon 04-Mar-13 15:46:05

Ps. I personally doubt it is bulima, it's more likely that when at home she gets to eat more than she probably would at school.. Anybody with stomach issues/reflux will tell you small and often, as soon as they eat just a bit too much in one go it starts to spill back up.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 16:16:21

Well we're back from the GP. He's given her a bottle of Gaviscon, said it sounds like reflux.

DD is in tears - I just don't know what to do with her. She was sick a little bit at school today, she says it has happened before at school. She says she can't go to school tomorrow as everyone is avoiding her as they think she's contagious, she says she has no friends and sits by herself all the time, etc.

She didn't want to have the Gaviscon which annoyed me. I told her we've got this medicine which is probably going to make her better, etc. She was just crying and been negative about it saying it won't help and even if it does help everyone will still be ignoring her tomrrow. I really think that friendship issues are a big factor in all of this.

Its parents' evening next week so at least I can talk to her tutor.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 16:34:04

Just tried ringing the school as she's so upset bu they're closed. She's adament she's not going back and wants to be home schooled.

Sirzy Mon 04-Mar-13 16:42:05

oh dear poor thing, and poor you.

Can you get into school tomorrow with her to try to get to the bottom of it? Is there a friend or staff member she is closer to who may be able to help?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 16:50:00

I'm at work tomorrow so can't go in. I should be able to ring up in the morning though.

Sirzy Mon 04-Mar-13 16:57:57

hope you manage to get it sorted quickly.

catlady1 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:01:40

To be fair I wouldn't want Gaviscon either, it is truly the devil's semen. Urrgh.

It does sound like some kind of reflux judging by the burping and being sick after meals, but remember reflux can be a symptom of lots of other things. And even though she might not look or feel ill, if she's getting it daily then she is definitely suffering! I'm dealing with it due to my pregnancy and it is bloody miserable. And if she's being sick or burping up acid on a regular basis then it won't be doing her oesophagus or teeth any favours either.

You can buy heartburn/reflux remedies over the counter quite cheaply if she won't have the Gaviscon, ranitidine tablets worked for me until a couple of weeks ago, they're normally about £1 a packet and you take one or two a day. Or Rennie tablets can help if she'll chew those?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 17:05:59

The dr muttered about tablets but then decided that they weren't the best for someone dd's age. He was talking about tablets which help empty the stomach quicker......not sure if Rennie, etc fall into that category?

You can get gaviscon tablets I saw in the chemist, they might taste better. But would cost a fortune at two tablets, four times a day.

Also when she didn't want the medicine, this is before she saw it, sniffed it, tasted it. She just said she wasn't going to have it.....just in a negative mood of not wanting to get better.

I think she's brought it up now anyway. She's just sat at the table, burps, leans to the side, spits sick out on the carpet and carries on. Hate to say but the lack of attempt to go to the loo annoys me. She's wrecking my carpets.

Flisspaps Mon 04-Mar-13 17:11:52

The spitting the sick on your carpets is not on, if there is no attempt to get to the loo or a bucket, ill or not.

Who cleans that up?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 17:15:51

Me or the dog!

catlady1 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:18:13

Hmm, I think that would annoy me too! At 12 years old she must know that puking on the carpet isn't on :/

Maybe it is something to do with school, could she be being bullied? Or having problems with a teacher or something, how are her grades? If it's down to that and it's been going on for ten months though, it must be something quite serious. I don't know what to suggest other than perhaps talking to the school and asking if they've noticed any change in her? There's also the question of which came first (the illness or the problems at school), since she's said that people are avoiding her BECAUSE of the illness - although to be honest, I can't see that happening, unless she's being sick on the floor at school as well.

I did wonder about an eating disorder initially, but I think if it was something like that she wouldn't be doing it in front of you. I think her negativity and how upset she is is very worrying though, and suggestive of it being more than just a physical problem,

Sirzy Mon 04-Mar-13 17:22:34

that sounds like its almost attention seeking type behaviour. I would be tempted to make her clean it up at 12 she should know thats not on.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Mar-13 17:25:49

The illness came first definitely. I think she worries too much about what other people are thinking and also what she tells me doesn't always bear a resemblance to reality.

Apparently no one saw her been sick today but she says she told someone......who then told some other people. She reckons everyone on her row in English then moved to a different row. And she spent 30 minutes on her own until she left the lesson.

I find it hard to believe that a whole row of kids are going to be allowed to move places mid lesson, or that there would be the space to do it.

Flisspaps Mon 04-Mar-13 17:26:20

Yes, regardless of anything else, she needs to clean it up immeduTeky

Flisspaps Mon 04-Mar-13 17:26:36

Immediately even!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now