URGENT HELP PLEASE!! am I in labour? I am SERIOUSLY snowed in and need advice

(676 Posts)
stellamel Tue 05-Jan-10 09:45:08

Am 40Wks +9, had sweep yesterday, been having period like cramps since about 4am, across the lower part of my belly. Waters haven't gone. Cramps last about 15-30 secs, every 5-15mins.

Is this the onset of labour? I haven't rang midwife yet, as snow is so bad they won't be able to send someone to assess me, if anyone is coming out it will be a one trip job where midwife will have to come to me via our local mountain rescue team and stay till the job is done.

Any advice on what to do now or when to ring midwife etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 05-Jan-10 09:46:12

Ring them asap I would.

Are you alone or is your DH with you?

dizzymac Tue 05-Jan-10 09:46:53

I would phone your midwife team and ask for their advice. they may be happy for someone to be there ready and may need some time to get someone out and you don't want to be caught out.

It does sound as though things are starting. Good luck

ZakuroFujiwara Tue 05-Jan-10 09:47:31

If it was me I'd ring the midwife now and tell them what you've told us - I would prefer to leave the decision-making to them!

Good luck! smile

kormachameleon Tue 05-Jan-10 09:47:39

mountain rescue ? where are you shock

i would ring them now and give them time to prepare and make arrangements to get to you

SmacOnTheLipsUnderTheMistletoe Tue 05-Jan-10 09:47:48

Just ring the mw - they will have to make a plan of action, whatever it takes. And given the weather conditions it may take longer than normal so better to be over cautious than leave it too late.
Good luck

Indith Tue 05-Jan-10 09:48:34

Ring them and let them decide. You don't know how quickly things could kick off and if it is going to take a while for them to get to you it is far better to ring. Better have someone there longer than needed than to not have them there at all.

Ok-sounds like something is starting. I would ring the midwife to keep them updated. After a sweep you can get cramps that are not neceessarily contractions BUT if yours are regular, as they sound it may well be IT.

Have you a neighbour, friend etc so you are not on your own?

either way, for your own peace of mind and to allow the teams to prepare- give them a call and say what is happening.

Hope you are ok-good luck xxx

MrsNarcissist Tue 05-Jan-10 09:48:46

Wow, good luck and although you may be a little busy with your baby later I would love to know what happens!!

agree with everyone else - let them have all the info and advise you
good luck with the labour

Louby3000 Tue 05-Jan-10 09:50:34

I am no MW, but it sounds like labour to me, and exactly the same gestation as I was. Call your hospital now and tell them what you are feeling. They will advise you best.
Who is at home with you?
Take a couple of paracetamol now and eat something hearty if you can- you need your energy! Is your hospital bag packed and ready? Or are you having a home birth?

How exciting!

Kayzr Tue 05-Jan-10 09:50:35

I agree too. Ring the MW

Is it your first baby?

I've had both of mine at home, would definitely call the MW for advice. If it wasn't for the snow I'd say wait and see but I think in these circumstances the MW would rather know sooner than later. If it is your first baby these cramps could last for a while, sounds like the early stages.

Can you sleep? Talk? Move around?

jetgirl Tue 05-Jan-10 09:51:45

Definitely ring, waters might not go for ages but you could still be in full labour. Mine went minutes before DD was born, but was in established labour well before that.

Good Luck!!

RnB Tue 05-Jan-10 09:52:23

Ring!

MerlinsBeard Tue 05-Jan-10 09:52:35

Try not to panic.

Are you there alone? If so, call whoever you need to be with you. If you have other children to arrange childcare for then ring them as well.

Are you having a home birth? Had you PLANNED a home birth i mean?

Lulumama Tue 05-Jan-10 09:53:00

ring them !! is someone with you?

is this your first?

waters often don't go until labour is established, but cramps that do not stop, and get longer and closer together are a good indication of labour

MerlinsBeard Tue 05-Jan-10 09:54:54

With 2 of mine, my waters have gone and they were bonr seconds later. In fact with DS2, they burst literally as he came out

CirrhosisByTheSea Tue 05-Jan-10 10:15:47

sounds like the beginning of my labour (though my pains were worse than period cramps from the off but that's another story) I hope you are off ringing the midwife now? If nothing else it gets you on their 'radar' - they will probably want to keep in touch with you so that they can make the best decision about when to come.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on!

geordieminx Tue 05-Jan-10 10:20:47

oooo sounds like you are on your way to labouringf.

Where are you btw?

moodlum Tue 05-Jan-10 10:23:21

OMG OP - with a mention of a mountain rescue team and an unplanned home birth, this will certainly be the most exciting MN delivery thread ever.

Everyone is right - call now and keep calm.

TigerFeet Tue 05-Jan-10 10:24:23

my labour started like this

it took nearly two days from this point before i delivered dd2

HOWEVER given your circs re snow i would ring the labour ward asap, they must surely have a plan of action for people in your position

good luck

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 05-Jan-10 10:24:43

ooh op hope things are going well, please call them, they will need to plan!

PureAsTheColdDrivenSnow Tue 05-Jan-10 10:25:31

Def sounds like the beginning to me!

Awassailinglookingforanswers Tue 05-Jan-10 10:28:02

oh how exciting - nothing useful to add - but hope it all goes well (and yes mountain rescue etc etc sounds very exciting)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now