Has anyone given birth to a large baby without tearing?

(89 Posts)
Sheldonella Mon 11-Mar-13 16:08:44

Just that really. I'm 40+2 and just had a midwife appointment. I measured 41 weeks and asked how big the baby is likely to be. She said most likely going to be big and with regards to the birth I can "have a go". I suppose she meant she expects me to need intervention or a section. I'm quite upset now sad

BanjoPlayingTiger Mon 11-Mar-13 19:42:48

My 10lb 5oz dc only caused a tiny tear that was too small to warrant stitching. I too am 5'9" and have good childbearing hips. One thing my midwife said was that the size of your pelvis is more or less the size of your feet, so if you've big feet it will be easier to give birth. (It's one of those things like your arm span is the same as your height etc)

I don't know if it is just an old wives tale, but it seemed to bear out with me.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 11-Mar-13 19:45:05

9Ilb 9oz no pain relief no stitches, they put that on the notice board in the tea room at work - blush

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 11-Mar-13 19:46:03

ooh, im a size 7/8 banjo (but only 5'2")

Flisspaps Mon 11-Mar-13 20:48:45

The foot thing is untrue.

speedyboots Mon 11-Mar-13 20:49:30

Sorry to hijack, but can I ask those of you who had minimal or no tearing if you did anything particular (e.g. birth positions, perineal massage) or it was just luck/positioning etc? I'm 31 weeks with ds1 and he is predicted to be on the large side, so I'm a bit worried about tearing.

BeaWheesht Mon 11-Mar-13 20:53:19

I didn't do anything to stop tearing.

5madthings Mon 11-Mar-13 20:55:23

Foot thing is rubbish. I sm 5 2 with size 4 feet and ds4 was 10lb 13oz with 42cm head circumference.

MrSlant Mon 11-Mar-13 20:57:11

DS3 was 9lb 11 and I had a tiny tear, the secret being a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w last bit, just let him ease himself out. (He was all head as well, HUGE!)

AmberLav Mon 11-Mar-13 20:57:22

Tearing is not the end of the world - yes, it's better not to, but if you do, it can be absolutely fine... I was given the option of being stitched up by the midwives or the surgical team, and I opted for the surgical team, and I've had no problems since (my sister had a less happy outcome with a stitch happy midwife, and I learnt from her...) But I am hoping that 2nd time (currently 35 weeks) is better, as I'd rather not have to stay in the hospital any longer than I have to...

notnowbernard Mon 11-Mar-13 20:59:32

I had a 10lb 2oz baby and didn't tear

The Mw at the 38w appt predicted an 8lber

Prob worth me mentioning I had a 7lb 8oz and did tear... And the Mw had predicted an 8 and a half baby

So you just don't know! Good luck smile

habbibu Mon 11-Mar-13 21:02:01

dd was 10lb 11oz, with a Big Head. slight tear and bruising, just a couple of stitches that healed well. she did get a tiny bit stuck, but mw and obs dealt with it brilliantly, and no intervention was required. she made space for ds, who came flying out, weighing 9lb 2oz. I'm 5'4.

curryeater Mon 11-Mar-13 21:03:50

Don't worry! The MW has no real way of knowing how big your baby is, and even if the baby is very big, all could be well.
When it comes to the pushing stage, do what the mw tells you, she will look after you as much as possible.
If you do tear, it will probably heal very fast.
(I had 3rd degree with 9lb dc1, I panicked and pushed too hard too fast. With dc2 the mw controlled it all a lot more and there was no tear. Even the 3rd degree tear was not too bad, I had a lot of stitches but it all healed very quickly)

Sticklebug Mon 11-Mar-13 21:11:47

My DS was 9'10 and was much easier delivery than my DD at 8'6. I am under 5 foot and am petite. Stitches with DD, but v easy birth with DS - no stitches and under 2 hours of labour.

Good luck

PickleSarnie Mon 11-Mar-13 21:17:46

DS2 was 8lb 11oz and with a head that was well above the 99.6th centile. Had two midwives and two trainees gathered round my bits afterwards to figure out if I needed any stitches. They put one in after much discussion. Was little more than a scratch really.

Hallo, don't worry you can do stuff to avoid tearing but I also do agree with the gravity + big baby theory too grin. labour produces stacks of hormones that will soften everything up that will help too

My dd was 9lb 10.5 and was born at 41+5

Can you ask about a water birth, I'm sure that being good and soaked and pruney helped me, I had also tried a bit of massage down there with oil as I measured consistently ahead throughout my pregnancy but not sure if it worked as I couldn't reach for the last few weeks lol!

I had a little graze but no tears btw

5madthings Mon 11-Mar-13 21:55:07

Yes i think water helps my big baby was born in the pool.

DD1 9lbs9oz no tear

DD2 8lbs 2oz@ 38 weeks out in 4 pushes no tear.

Raspberry Leaf Tea tablets for last 6 weeks.

Oh & a bloody good midwife for both who told the doctor to bugger off when he was muttering about a CS following induction with DD2 ! grin

steppemum Mon 11-Mar-13 23:25:46

dc3 was 10lbs 7oz. No tear, no cuts, no stitches

BUT she was no. 3 after 2 other big babies (and I had a episiotomy with no 1)

The midwife was very good at saying 'wait, breathe' when the head crowned, so I felt the stinging stretch as described in the books, and then it was fine

colditz Mon 11-Mar-13 23:27:51

8lb 7oz, small graze, first baby, five foot two mother with narrow pelvis bones.

colditz Mon 11-Mar-13 23:29:03

Ps, ds1's head was so big that they had a consultant in looking for hydrocephalus.

speedyboots Tue 12-Mar-13 08:58:26

Thanks - good to hear that tearing is not a bad experience for everyone. Although it does make me cross my legs every time I think of it. Bit late for that now I suppose.

dinkystinky Tue 12-Mar-13 09:05:50

Sheldonella - the position you give birth in can help you reduce the risk of tearing - as well as some support from the MW on delivery. Please dont worry about it - and ignore all the big baby comments. I was told I was carrying big babies too (am 5 ft 4 and DH is 6 ft 2 so they obviously got more of his genes). In the end DS1 was only a 9 lber and DS2 was 8 lbs 6. I did tear abit with both as on my back in stirrups with DS1 (not my choice!) and DS2's delivery was so fast - but it wasnt all that bad. I agree with others, gravity does help with bigger babies.

Branleuse Tue 12-Mar-13 09:08:16

10lb, home birth, nothing. No tearing. I bloody felt that one crown though eyes water

I had a worse time with my first baby who was only 6lb2

FirstTimeForEverything Tue 12-Mar-13 09:08:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Soditall Tue 12-Mar-13 09:14:11

My largest was 9lb 2 and was by far my easiest to deliver and I was a tiny little thing at the time.I had no tear or stitches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now