Please tell me your positive experiences of delivering a 9lb+ baby

(53 Posts)
MayimBialik Tue 30-Oct-12 04:46:42

I'm having a larger baby. Likely to be over 9lb. Always expected it as I was over 9lb but scan today showed it to be 8lb9 at 39+1 and as it's my first baby chances are I'll go over 40 weeks and baby will put on a fair bit more weight.

Am now panicking slightly about giving birth to such a big'un and could do with hearing some positive stories to stop any negative thoughts from taking hold. I know the worst thing I can do is panic as this will inhibit an easy labour.

PickleSarnie Thu 15-Nov-12 07:58:44

Not quite 9lbs, DS2 was 8lb 11oz but his head was above the 96th centile and he popped out after 4 pushes and no pain relief other than TENS. Had two stitches put in after a lot of discussion from midwives crowded round my bits trying to determine if I needed it or not.

Although, I think I should start inventing 4th degree tears so that no one thinks I have a massive bucket!

Lesbeadiva Thu 15-Nov-12 08:03:07

Ds was 8 pounds. Very complicated brith, episiotomy and stitches.
Dd was a 9 pounder, dream labour, 3 hours, water birth and I actually enjoyed it. I said immediately after give birth I wanted to do it again! I mean it was painful but it was a brilliant pain. It's how I imagine labour actually is meant to be. DS was 31 hours of medical assistance and worry!

EwanHoozami Thu 15-Nov-12 08:09:53

Can you try a spot of perineal massage? Not the most glamorous occupation, but I had a ten-pounder with minimal damage to my undercarriage after trying it.

He was back-to-sodding-back too.

Big babies are SO gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now