Nice little tips - please add and share!

(211 Posts)
PixieCake Sun 30-Sep-12 15:05:38

I heard a nice little tip the other day that I am going to try to do:

- sleep with your newborn's blanket in the last few weeks of pregnancy, so that it smells of you when you wrap the baby in it at the hospital

I wish I had done this last time as I found it hard to cuddle my newborn for a number of different reasons so she was in a cot in a hospital blanket.

Anyone got any other easy little things to add that don't take much effort but are a nice idea?

Another one I heard was to ask for the room to be silent when the baby comes out so that the first thing it hears is its mothers voice. Not for everybody I know, but please share any other suggestions x

Princesslovelyboo Sat 06-Oct-12 10:39:14

If you phone has a camera all the better, if not take one in then you may feel less inclined to have them by the ridiculously expensive bounty photo lady who prays on your hormones

scaredmummy2B Sat 06-Oct-12 19:14:43

If you have older children take a ready wrapped present from the baby as a hello and thank you for being my older protective sibling makes them feel special, helps them bond with baby from the word go and keeps them quiet while others coo over the baby x

perfectstorm Sat 06-Oct-12 20:47:20

Invent an email address and a fake name for the Bounty woman.

They say they'll tick a box so you get no spam - in my case, they lied. She wouldn't accept my "no, I'm not interested" and kept insisting that I could opt out of the spam, so in the end I gave the info with that agreement just to make her go away. I then had so much postal junk the floor was covered every day for weeks, and I had to change my email address altogether after several years of it before.

I'm normally very assertive with salespeople (and they just want your marketing info, as new mothers are worth a FORTUNE to direct marketing companies) and I didn't want a bag full of crap - and I knew you could get the child benefit form online, so her repeated telling me "the bag has your child benefit form in..." especially annoyed. But after labour, birth and with my newborn by my side, in the end I gave her the info she was arguing for just to make her go away. This time around I plan to invent the lot. They will be selling a bouncing email address and an imaginary postal one.

It makes me angry that the hospitals let them in, TBH. I know they get paid a cut for the harvesting of our data, but it would be hard to imagine a more vulnerable group.

elizaregina Sat 06-Oct-12 21:29:06

good tip re bounty....

the whole bounty thing makes me un easy - it felt so horrid when was accosted last time, the way they come at you as though you have to do it - .....its a gov thing etc...really sinister.

perfectstorm Sat 06-Oct-12 21:50:16

It really makes me laugh that Bounty are currently advertising for women to harass us, grab our data and flog us an expensive snapshot, and they're actually calling the bags their "infamous Bounty packs..."

Dear Bounty: in case you ever read this? Infamous does not mean exceptionally famous. It means famous for being exceptionally evil.

Who knew. There can be truth in advertising. grin

I gave an old email address & changed my mobile no by 1 digit.

Sorry to whoever's no I gave out: I was flummoxed by bounty. blush

notcitrus Sun 07-Oct-12 15:07:55

Just tell the Bounty woman to fuck off. Saves your valuable sleeping time. There's nothing in the packs you need. If she tries saying you won't be able to claim child benefit otherwise, tell her that is a lie - you can claim online or get the paper form from the midwives.

If she then pretends to ask her superior if that's ok, but actually hides on the other side of your glass door for a min before returning with it, laugh lots and threaten a written complaint.

halloweeneyqueeney Sun 07-Oct-12 15:50:29

I'm gonnna make a laminated "no Bounty" sign.. but doubt that'll stop em from waking me!, last time she said "I have to take your details otherwise people will think you're trying to scam extra bags" err fuck off I don't want any of your bags!

perfectstorm Sun 07-Oct-12 17:18:52

Halloweeny the cheeky cow! shock

Notcitrus I planned to tell her to fuck off. Honest, I did. I'm usually really good at it, too! But after 3 days of labour I just gave in to make her shut up and go away.

I may sign myself Minnie Mouse, residing at Stop Your Junkmail Drive.

Tell you what, THERE Is a campaign I'd like MN to get behind - stop Bounty being allowed to exploit exhausted women who've just given birth. If they're that keen for us to get the bags, they can give them to GPs or midwives for the post-birth checks, and signups to marketing crap be opt-in.

Damn right, Perfectstorm.

sleepybump Mon 15-Oct-12 07:05:31

Some lovely tips here (this will be DC2 but still a lot of this stuff is new ideas to me!)

Bounty bags were just given to us by the midwives on the ward after, no mention of signing up to anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now