And our October Book of the Month is ...The Ghost Road by Pat Barker (discussion Tues 28th Oct 8pm)

(64 Posts)

We'll be chatting about our Book of the Month, Pat Barker's Booker Prize winner THE GHOST ROAD, on Tues 28 October from 8-10pm.

Will keep you posted here about author chat - and don't forget you can order your copy here.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Oct-08 14:00:12

Just in case you wondered how the voting went, you can have a snoop at the results here

And, for anyone who was asleep at the back, here were the book choices

ahundredtimes Wed 01-Oct-08 15:49:30

Such a good book.

EVERYONE must read it.

ahundredtimes Wed 01-Oct-08 15:53:35

[cracks whip]

fullmoonfiend Wed 01-Oct-08 17:05:00

oh god, I love this book!

Blandmum Wed 01-Oct-08 18:17:12

Ohh, I've just re-read it!

reading the second one now

fullmoonfiend Wed 01-Oct-08 18:19:10

I spent a very odd summer reading Atonement, Birdsong then the Regeneration Trilogy....

ahundredtimes Wed 01-Oct-08 18:50:14

Oh yes, I like the whole trilogy too. The Ghost Road my favourite though.

It's a top book isn't it?

How exciting.

FMV your summer sounds emotional. grin

It's a fantastic book. Might be worth a re-read for this.

boogeek Thu 02-Oct-08 12:46:05

I'm going to re-read it: it's been a few years and I loved it first time. Hooray!

echt Fri 03-Oct-08 10:55:06

How fabulous this should come up. I've re-read the trilogy until my eyes pop, and STILL cry at the end of "Ghost Road".

I love the rebarbative Billy Prior; shagging anything that moves but remaining a completely sympathetic character (not that I think this should be the qualifying mark of good writing).

Had the good fortune to teach "Regeneration" to Year 13 students this year, and looking forward to doing it again next year.

Psychobabble Fri 03-Oct-08 16:35:25

I am going to join in on this one, have just got the whole trilogy from the library, am I kidding myself to think I can finish it in less than 4 weeks?!

murphyslaw Mon 06-Oct-08 08:51:04

am new to the book club so hiya everyone!

Am half through Ghost Road it only arrived Friday and I am loving it! grin

psychobabble, I'm thinking the same thing. I've decided I'm going to read them backwards.
(not literally, of course. that would just be weird)

Psychobabble Wed 08-Oct-08 19:58:05

I'm about a quarter of the way through so I should make it!

FeelingLucky Wed 08-Oct-08 20:10:51

Now that's a good idea .. I might read all three too.

I got the book from library on Saturday and by Saturday evening I had already read Part 1. Had to stop myself reading anymore in case I forget what happens by book club night.

baiyu Fri 10-Oct-08 17:43:28

What are the titles of this trilogy please? I feel like a really big readie month

Psychobabble Fri 10-Oct-08 19:44:47

Regeneration, The Eye in the Door, The Ghost Road. You can buy it as one book, it's about 600 pages so not massive!

baiyu Sun 12-Oct-08 16:26:40

thank you!

Just to say November's Book of the Month is up for grabs, so get your voting fingers ready and storm the [[ poll page]]

Er, I mean poll page

jojosmaman Tue 14-Oct-08 21:05:34

Ah great, I have this somewhere upstairs from my Eng Lit Uni days along with the other two, will dig it out.

morningpaper Tue 28-Oct-08 13:56:22

I've done really badly because I only bought it at the weekend because it wasn't in any Somerset libraries (obviously it's not about cider or anything)

I'm up to page 60 which I guess isn't very helpful but I will watch the discussion anyway

I've just been sobbing over the last few pages. Kids wondering what's happened - hard to explain WW1 to a six month old and a 2 year old.

Pat sadly not able to join us but will be great to have the whole evening to discuss freely amongst ourselves.

See everyone at 8, looking forward to this chat very much.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 28-Oct-08 16:39:01

I am going to bow out of this evenings talk, very tired and didn't get into the book at all which was weird as loved it the first time round. I think knowing it is the last in a trilogy, I need to read the other two first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now