Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Bede?

(82 Posts)
ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 01:50:11

For a boy (obviously?)

As in 'The venerable...'

Ludways Sun 24-Aug-14 02:38:37

As in Saint Bede. It was one of the houses at my comprehensive school so it's a no from me.

I like it! Unusual but not made up and it's got a nice sound to it.

WildCherryBlossom Sun 24-Aug-14 03:16:21

I went to school with someone with this name - after ' the venerable'. It worked and after the initial explanation no-one batted an eyelid. It is unusual but doesn't sound particularly out there. Good choice I think.

LetTheRiverAnswer Sun 24-Aug-14 04:28:07

It was on my love-it list ever since I first went to Holy Island way before having childrensmile. I didn't use it though and have never met or heard of another. I still like it, sort of simple but not trivial (not sure that's quite the right word, but hopefully the flavour of what I mean is there!)

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 24-Aug-14 07:07:18

How is it pronounced ?
I want to pronounce it like the bum washing thing but sure that's not right

rachel234 Sun 24-Aug-14 08:02:22

I know a lovely Bede. Classic, cool name!

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 09:53:07

1 syllablle 3pigs pronounced the same as bead.

Thanks for the positive comments. I really like it for all the reasons you've said; Simple, strong, unusual, meaningful, nicely weighty smile

scaevola Sun 24-Aug-14 09:56:05

Not Venerable, but Venomous

grin

SirChenjin Sun 24-Aug-14 09:58:16

Bead spelled Bede for a boy.....nope, not doing it for me, sorry - it's not a very strong name. Which is funny, because I love the look of the name, if that makes sense?

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 09:59:27

Well admirable historiography took a few centuries to get going scaevola smile

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 10:01:24

Not a spelling made up last Tuedday, honest SirCh

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venerable_Bede

GrapefruitAndCucumberLoveThem Sun 24-Aug-14 10:01:36

A friend's husband is called this. I think it's awful. Everybody says "bede!", "Bede??" and I'm sure they think, 'that guy is called bead" confused

NigellasPeeler Sun 24-Aug-14 10:01:55

its a great name but won't it be annoying when people think he is called 'Bead'?

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 10:06:34

Doesn't take much to correct Nigella and it is not a complicated spelling for people to remember, once they have been told.

I think it is shortlist-worthy at least.

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 10:07:45

"Bede??" and I'm sure they think, 'that guy is called bead

<considers how bad this is>

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 24-Aug-14 10:11:00

It's a really well recognised, sometimes used name in the NE. The bead thing tickled me though.

PPaka Sun 24-Aug-14 10:12:26

This is ds's middle name
It was a family name on dh's side
I love it

SirChenjin Sun 24-Aug-14 10:16:01

I know it's not made up, and I have actually heard of Bede the Venerable <proud>

grin

It's just the bead thing....

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 10:27:58

I have actually heard of Bede the Venerable <proud>

grin

Maybe I've hung about here too long, watching people hell-bent on calling their DC allsorts (most recently Scottish et al hilariously explaining the downside of 'Job' to an enthusiast) I just can't get excited about a few people potentially misunderstanding Bede as Bead.

I have time to mull it over though.

PPaka Sun 24-Aug-14 10:35:47

Never entered my head that some people would think it was bead.

scaevola Sun 24-Aug-14 10:39:03

And you can then go on to have siblings Cuthbert, Berengaria and Ethelflaed!

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 10:41:33

Not quite as snappy scaevola but at least nobody could mistake them for cufflink, button and ethel smile

SirChenjin Sun 24-Aug-14 10:48:18

No, but Dibble and Grub, Balenciaga, and Ehfuuuuuuwwwl (pronounced in a strong Cockney accent, if you please) all come to mind wink

What the hell - if you love it, go for it smile. Just hide all beads from the wee chap and he'll be fine!

ArsenicyOldFace Sun 24-Aug-14 10:48:35

And actually if people thought I'd called my child Bead that would be quite funny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now