DH says he hates all girls names ending in -a

(90 Posts)
CruCru Sun 03-Mar-13 10:27:35

Apart from Sarah. Which ends in an "h".

Damn, our tastes do not converge. I started a thread a while ago - Claudia Vivienne or Cecilia Maud - and he thinks both are poncy.

So I suggested Louisa - but he only likes Louise. He also suggested Jane and Alice (Alice is okay).

How can this be a sensible stance? Most girls names end in -a, including mine.

Sorry for posting here - the baby names topic is covered in football spam. I'll move the thread when all the spam is gone.

CruCru Thu 30-May-13 16:40:35

Hmmm, well I had suggested Louisa and that's how I found out that he doesn't like names with an a added. In a while I'll post my list of girls names.

mummyTP2 Thu 30-May-13 14:29:48

Why not try a little mixture of the names he likes but with an a, louisa, Alicia or jana?

miffybun73 Tue 28-May-13 20:32:36

I'm the opposite.

Like Louisa, Amelia, Sophia or Julia a lot.

Don't like Louise, Amelie, Sophie or Julie at all.

Then again, my daughter is Emily, not Emilia so not much logic there smile

vitaminC Tue 28-May-13 19:36:22

If he likes Sarah, how about Leah?

MrsFrederickWentworth Tue 28-May-13 14:13:50

Beatrix
Penelope
Phoebe
Imogen
Jean
Janet/ Jeannette
Catherine/katie
Anne
Emily
Lily
Rosemary
Lavender
Hope
Jasmine
Jessamine
Clemency
Patience
Deborah ( if he likes Sarah)
Sally
Margaret/ Marguerite/ Molly
Mary/ Miriam
Polly
Prudence
Rose

outtolunchagain Tue 28-May-13 14:00:29

Hermione
Eleanor
Meredith
Katherine
Grace
Helene

CruCru Tue 28-May-13 13:57:27

Sounds like we have similar tastes HansieMom.

HansieMom Mon 27-May-13 19:27:23

I love the name Vivienne. So beautiful. I love it so much I named one of our cats that. Call her Vivi sometimes, as it is fitting as she is lucky to be alive. Impregnated very young and then dumped with four kittens. Now she is chubby and sticks close to home.

Beatrix is lovely too. I have a grandson named Henry. His siblings are Sam and Kate, twins. I had a hard time just calling her Kate as a baby. I wanted something added on, like Katelynn.

baskingseals Mon 27-May-13 19:07:22

What about Elsa?

Lovely name without being too frilly.

Mollydoggerson Mon 27-May-13 16:02:33

Clair

CruCru Mon 27-May-13 16:01:16

Update: had a scan and they are 70% sure it's a girl. So am back looking at girls names.

CruCru Sat 16-Mar-13 14:54:01

Result! I just asked him if he likes Elena and he mumbled that it's okay. He was doing something so he may not have been paying attention though.

CruCru Wed 06-Mar-13 20:39:20

Are Hattie and Emme short for Harriet and Emmeline?

MortifiedAdams Wed 06-Mar-13 14:27:03

Esme

MortifiedAdams Wed 06-Mar-13 14:24:50

What about Emme or Hattie?

CruCru Wed 06-Mar-13 13:38:50

Hi

Yes, I have a feeling it is a girl.

He might like Emma but Penelope is probably too fancy for him [sigh].

I suppose Persephone is also out? Humph.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Mar-13 12:13:45

Do you have a strong feeling it will be a girl? hope you come back and tell us smile

I was just re-reading the suggestions here and saw you thought he might like Emma.

On another Baby Name thread I saw Penelope suggested, I'm guessing your DH might think that's too fussy.

CruCru Wed 06-Mar-13 10:54:37

Yes, we might find out, if only to eliminate some name choices.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Mar-13 10:29:10

Sorry for typos.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Mar-13 10:28:37

Miriam, yes that's impossible to tie down to a particular time, it's uncommon, unfussy. if DH objected to Claudia on the grounds it was "Italian" he may well object to Miriam for being "Jewish" (nothing wrong with etiher name of course!).

When are you due your 20 week scan, will you want to know your baby's gender?

hatebeak Wed 06-Mar-13 10:18:33

Love Miriam.

MidnightMasquerader Wed 06-Mar-13 01:05:26

Claudia is so lovely.

<not helping>

CruCru Tue 05-Mar-13 21:53:59

I think the problem is that I basically just want him to capitulate. Which he may not. I do have time and it could still be a boy.

In the meantime what do you think of Miriam? I like it but not as much as Claudia.

Frikadellen Tue 05-Mar-13 18:46:33

What about virtue names ?

Faith
Hope
Grace
Verity
Harmony

or nature names?

Eden
Brooke
Coral
Olive
Poppy
Hazel
Jade
Daisy
Rose
Fern
Fleur
Robyn
Saffron

forgetmenots Tue 05-Mar-13 18:37:29

Might he come round? I was always determined DD would not have a name ending in a (please don't flame me, I just found it too girly) and I too prefer almost all the variations of names without the a (including Helen over Helena!) BUT... My short list of two for a DD now both end in A!!!

He may change his mind if it's the right one, he might jut be trying to tell you he isn't keen on frilly names! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now